Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Springfield Armory XD9 today. I am going to use it for home defense primarily, but with a lot of range time too. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It feels really good in the hands.

Todd

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Everything I've read regarding the XDs has been wholly positive which has me coveting the XD .45 ACP Tactical. Did you get the 4" model?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, got the 4" model. It's mostly for home defense and I plan to put in a LOT of range time with it. The thing that sold me on it was the grip safety. Although I am a big proponent of manual safeties, I like not having to worry about whether the safety is on or off, since this might be used from a half-sleep, groggy, 2am situation if someone decides to break into my house.

Todd

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Congratulations! I've found the XD9's to be exceptionally accurate!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I love my subcompact. The only load that it hasn't liked was Blazer Aluminum, which has ran fine in everything else I've tried. Now, there was only 1 bobble in the half box I tried but there's other cheap ammo out there.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I plan on getting an XD someday down the road, once I finally get the other 5-7 Taurus pistols I am still waiting on....

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I had planned on getting that .45 ACP XD Tactical today, if the shop closest to me had one in stock -- which they did not, and I didn't feel like leaving without something -- so I walked out with a Ruger P95. The XD will have to come next. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
BoneDigger said:
Yep, got the 4" model. It's mostly for home defense and I plan to put in a LOT of range time with it. The thing that sold me on it was the grip safety. Although I am a big proponent of manual safeties, I like not having to worry about whether the safety is on or off, since this might be used from a half-sleep, groggy, 2am situation if someone decides to break into my house.

Todd
I am not trying to hijack the thread, but. This is probably going to sound bad. When we go deer hunting I was usually not used to being up that early. It was before I had kids and was working long hours. Anyway my deer stand would get pretty warm with the heater on, and I'd be pretty tired. Obviously would fall asleep. The animals and sometimes Dad or an uncle would walk by and usually wake me. Well one time I woke up and an eight point buck was staring right at me from maybe 20yds. He was just walking around nibbling at the ground. He went down a ravine and came out on the other side after a minute. Took one shot dead in the kill zone through a scoped rifle. So I don't understand the half asleep talk. If you jolt out of bed to find a robber or what ever I think you'd be wide awake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
I had planned on getting that .45 ACP XD Tactical today, if the shop closest to me had one in stock -- which they did not, and I didn't feel like leaving without something -- so I walked out with a Ruger P95. The XD will have to come next. :D
Nice second choice.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Thank you, Anxiety

I've had experience with the Ruger P series but never owned one until now. I haven't had any range time with it yet, but intend on changing that this weekend if the weather is agreeable.

One of the best things in regards to this pistol for me, is it uses the same mags as my PC9. Now I have 5 magazines to swap between the two if needed. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was planning on a P95 but my plans may have changed after the discovery of Witness' in town. The P95 grip seems a little to thin for my hand but other than that I love them, especially the price. The Rugers are mighty nice though. My Dad has a nice P89dc, which is fun to shoot. I suppose one could put on a Hogue and end the thinness problem.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
anxiety, I think you'll like the Witness! For me, the Magazine Latch on the Ruger 9mm's has always been a bit awkward. I have quite a few of the Tanfoglio CZ Clones and they've been great! BTW, There is a Clone Section over at CZForums if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bonedigger: check out www.pistolgear.com for accessorys Scott is a great person to deal with and prices and shipping time are second to none, also if you havent been there already check out XDtalk.com. I am the same user name there.
Tom

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I've dealt with PistolGear some too. A nice thing is that they show when something is Out of Stock and will email you when it comes in. The last time though I added what I wanted (Out of Stock) to an order I was putting in through another place (CDNN I think).

Steelheart

·
Registered
33 Posts
My local GS can't seem to keep XDs in stock as they sell so well. I did handle an XD-9 Service with a ported barrel and it was a beauty!! Although why a ported barrel for a 9mm would be needed is a mystery to me.

I was stuck between selecting the G19 or the XD-9. Both fell great in my hands. Wanted to think about it for 24hrs and went back the next morning. The Xd-9 was already sold. Could have ordered one but............

g19erusa

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the sub-compact XD9 and in my experience it is by far the easiest "small" semi-auto to shoot. It has easy-to-see sights, good trigger, hits at point of aim and is totally reliable. I also had a mini-Glock 27 (since sold) that was much more difficult to grip and shoot to point of aim. I would imagine that the larger XD9's would be solid performers also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The XD-9 is a fine gun. I tried the tactical model at the gun range and went out and purchased a service model the next day. It feels good in my hands. My wife loves how easy it is to load and unload the mag.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I had an XD-9 Tactical...over 1500 rounds through with zero malfunctions. I sold it to get the XD-45 compact. This one has over 1000 rounds through with no problems (I put over 250 rounds of my carry ammo through--Cor-Bon 165-grain JHP--with zero malfunctions)---If you know anything about the Cor-Bon loads you will know they have the widest mouth of any factory loaded JHP, which leads to feeding issues in some semi-autos. Not with the XD, and to my surprise only one feeding issue with my PT-145 in 300 rounds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts