Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 24/7 G2 Compact in .40 S&W, and put about 150 rounds through it over the course of two range trips. When I stripped it down to clean it the first time, I discovered that the main spring had slipped off the barrel, and was now only braced against the front if the frame. When I got back from my CCW qualification, I noticed that it had almost slipped again.

is there something non-obvious I need to be doing, or should I contact customer support?

I've also noticed that one side of the springs in the assembly seem to have an orange or green coating of some sort. I didn't notice it until the end of the post-CCW cleaning, is it normal, or is it rust/corrosion of some sort. It's been a week since I bought it, and it was only in the store for a fee weeks tops before I put it on layaway.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The color is probably color coding by Taurus - I have some that are red, green or yellow.

I would call Taurus CS and request they send you a free replacement recoil spring. Probably nothing wrong with the one you have, and unless they want it back, keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called customer support the other night, and the replacement Captive Recoil Spring Assembly just arrived. For the most part they look to be identical, except that the replacement seems to have concentric rings engraved in the surface of the smaller end of the assembly, where the original spring is much smoother by comparison. Looking closely at the original, I think I can see part of one of the rings that are all clearly visible on the replacement.

It looks like the issue is probably just a case of the original assembly not having the 'roughed up' surface to 'grip' the barrel protrusion. Obviously, I'll put it through it's paces some more before I decide it's fixed, but I'm thinking the replacement assembly will solve the issue. If it does, I know what I can do to the original to have a perfectly good spare on hand if I need it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wow - from the dates of your posts, it looks like Taurus CS was on the ball and got your spring to you right away. Looks good on them!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I wasn't expecting to see it until next week.

I did have to explain the issue a couple times before the CS lady understood what I was talking about (probably more my fault than hers since I'm new to guns, and don't know all of the proper terminology), but once she got it she took care of things quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, it happened again, and I'm having some weird trigger issues*, so the whole pistol is on its way to get serviced.

* full squeeze of the trigger occasionally results in no release of the striker. In some instances it does release and fire, but only as I start to release the trigger. Most of the time, it functions fine, but I can't consider it a reliable firearm at this point.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Might want to let that 40 take a road trip to Miami

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already in the mail. Described the issue to the CS guy, and, from his initial reaction, I pretty much knew that was going to be the result. Hopefully, it'll go quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update. It too two days from when FedEx dropped it puff before it registered on their CS site that it had been received, and its already flagged as the repair being complete. Not sure what to make of that since I the check-in estimate was 6 weeks.

i guess either the problem was easy to spot and fix, or I'll be dealing with shipping it back again after checking it out when it gets back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And a further update. Apparently the diagnosis was an out of spec part. I didn't have the time (or money) to hit the range for a few weeks, unfortunately, but I finally made it down, and put 100 rounds down rang with no issue. (It also felt more accurate, as I was able to put 4 out of 5 shots on an index card at 15 yards. I couldn't do that reliably before getting it serviced, but unless it got more of a tune-up than they mentioned, I don't think that would explain it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem i am having with my g2, is that when i use my 17 round mag. the mag does not hold the rounds tight enough. I have found that when i try to chamber a round the bullet does not always nose up. Anyone know how to fix this.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
In reading the OP the problem was that the recoil spring wasn't staying against the barrel lug when you broke it down for removal, correct? I see you've got another spring and all is well, but I thought I'd mention something. When you install the assembled slide onto the frame the back of the recoil spring doesn't rest against the barrel lug - that's only for assembly and disassembly. There's a recess in the frame that it fits into, and that's what it pushes against when the weapon is assembled. I can see where it would be real annoying if it slipped off the lug on disassembly, but it might still be okay in operation if it's holding the slide firmly in battery. Anyway, just a little more trivia to file away... :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
In reading the OP the problem was that the recoil spring wasn't staying against the barrel lug when you broke it down for removal, correct? I see you've got another spring and all is well, but I thought I'd mention something. When you install the assembled slide onto the frame the back of the recoil spring doesn't rest against the barrel lug - that's only for assembly and disassembly. There's a recess in the frame that it fits into, and that's what it pushes against when the weapon is assembled. I can see where it would be real annoying if it slipped off the lug on disassembly, but it might still be okay in operation if it's holding the slide firmly in battery. Anyway, just a little more trivia to file away... :D
I was a little surprised when disassembling my 24/7 G2c for the first time that there is no recess that accepts the spring....just a flat spot on the barrel lug.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I was a little surprised when disassembling my 24/7 G2c for the first time that there is no recess that accepts the spring....just a flat spot on the barrel lug.
I've had a number of pistols that were like that - but there has to be a spot on the frame that it rests against when completely assembled or the pistol won't work. The spring pushes off the frame and forces the slide forward, which in turn holds the barrel in battery. If it was up against the barrel lug when it was fully assembled you wouldn't have any tension on the lockup.

My G21 has kind of a weird setup for this. The barrel lug on that one has an indentation for the back of the recoil assembly, but it's just for assembly. As you assemble the pistol it slips down into it's recess in the frame and it's never in the indention when it's removed. Usually those lug indentations are a bit higher than they need to be so the slide goes on easily, but once the back of the rod hits it's recess it moves down slightly.

I think the OP was probably correct about the waffle pattern on the back helping it not to slip off the lug on disassembly. It's already going to be a little lower on the lug than for assembly, and it might just need a little rougher texture to keep it in place. But if he fired 150 rounds with that spring assembly and no problems, I'm thinking it wasn't that big of a deal. Not big enough to throw away the stock assembly - I'd keep it for a backup.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The problem i am having with my g2, is that when i use my 17 round mag. the mag does not hold the rounds tight enough. I have found that when i try to chamber a round the bullet does not always nose up. Anyone know how to fix this.
Welcome from Texas! I suggest you take the magazine apart then check to make sure the mag spring is not installed backwards.

Page 30 of the 24/7 G2 Manual shows the Exploded View of the pistol, which is a very good reference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll admit I was a bit surprised to see fresh activity on this thread, but since it's active again, I'll post an update.

Since getting the replacement recoil spring assembly, there hasn't been an issue with it slipping off the barrel lug during use. I've put nearly 1000 rounds of ammo through it since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts