Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum, though I've been lurking for awhile. It was from lurking on this site, that I decided to buy a pt111 pro.
Now the problem, first off I've put apprx. 800 rounds thru this gun without a failure. Today at the range on my second shot, the gun jammed, I looked down and the spring was sticking out about an inch. I broke the gun down and managed to get the spring out and reinstalled it, then went on to put another 99 rounds thru it without any problems.
Is this a common problem with these guns, and do I need to send it back to Taurus? So far I've been real happy with the gun, but this kind of worries me. I wouldnt want this to happen out on the street.

Thanks for any input, Saw

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I would take the plunge and just send it in now. I can guarantee you that if it happened once, it will happen again. Get it fixed now before you really need it. Or maybe Taurus will send you a new spring/rod assembly.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Yes, others have been able to get Taurus to send the replacement spring. You might have to send the old one in first, or they might just allow you to purchase a new one ( you want to spend the dollars)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you take it apart (for cleaning/oiling) before you went to the range? you might have accidentally put the spring in backwards! sounds crazy, but i have heard of this happening!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Is there a way I can tell if it is a spring failure, or a slide failure? There isnt much of a lip on the slide, and the lip that is there is pretty shiny. I hadnt field stripped the gun for probably 200 rounds or so,and the end caps of the spring are pretty obvious. I've heard horror stories about Taurus having a pretty slow turn-around on repairs. Kinda bums me out, cause I just bought a 1 yr membership to the range, before this happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, it made me do a little homework, and found out they make a spring with a larger washer.
Got one ordered today, and I'm sure that I couldnt ship my gun back for warranty for 11 bucks and change

·
Registered
650 Posts
I ordered a spare spring for my pt111 in early June, took about 2 weeks to get it, I'm going to keep using the old one until(if) it fails. About 2000 rnds thru mine. I got 2 24/7c grip filler things as well, should have ordered more, the extra magazine length of the 24/7 17 rd mags helps my weak hand shooting alot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts