Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum, though I've been lurking for awhile. It was from lurking on this site, that I decided to buy a pt111 pro.
Now the problem, first off I've put apprx. 800 rounds thru this gun without a failure. Today at the range on my second shot, the gun jammed, I looked down and the spring was sticking out about an inch. I broke the gun down and managed to get the spring out and reinstalled it, then went on to put another 99 rounds thru it without any problems.
Is this a common problem with these guns, and do I need to send it back to Taurus? So far I've been real happy with the gun, but this kind of worries me. I wouldnt want this to happen out on the street.

Thanks for any input, Saw

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I would take the plunge and just send it in now. I can guarantee you that if it happened once, it will happen again. Get it fixed now before you really need it. Or maybe Taurus will send you a new spring/rod assembly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you take it apart (for cleaning/oiling) before you went to the range? you might have accidentally put the spring in backwards! sounds crazy, but i have heard of this happening!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Is there a way I can tell if it is a spring failure, or a slide failure? There isnt much of a lip on the slide, and the lip that is there is pretty shiny. I hadnt field stripped the gun for probably 200 rounds or so,and the end caps of the spring are pretty obvious. I've heard horror stories about Taurus having a pretty slow turn-around on repairs. Kinda bums me out, cause I just bought a 1 yr membership to the range, before this happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, it made me do a little homework, and found out they make a spring with a larger washer.
Got one ordered today, and I'm sure that I couldnt ship my gun back for warranty for 11 bucks and change

·
Registered
712 Posts
I ordered a spare spring for my pt111 in early June, took about 2 weeks to get it, I'm going to keep using the old one until(if) it fails. About 2000 rnds thru mine. I got 2 24/7c grip filler things as well, should have ordered more, the extra magazine length of the 24/7 17 rd mags helps my weak hand shooting alot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.