Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my Millennium G2 for the first time last weekend. i used Hoppes 9 and the used the Hoppes wipes to lube it. Got it out tonight and field stripped it and noticed that parts of the spring now have greenish tint on some parts of it and on other areas there' a white tint. Then there are other parts of the spring that are black. Is this normalal?

If not, any ideas what caused it?The spring still seems to work normally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could it be that there was some copper residue possibly left over from the previous owner's use of the gun and that interacted with the Hoppes 9 solvent?

Can/should it be cleaned off or will it not cause any problems with the recoil spring?

·
Administrator
40,585 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that, as described. Corrosion does come to mind though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had this happen to both my 709 and my new pt111 g2. i clean all my guns the same and no others have had this happen so I'm thinking it is the metal that Taurus uses in there springs. Does not affect the performance whatsoever so i don't worry much about it. Glad i'm not the only one though lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had this happen to both my 709 and my new pt111 g2. i clean all my guns the same and no others have had this happen so I'm thinking it is the metal that Taurus uses in there springs. Does not affect the performance whatsoever so i don't worry much about it. Glad i'm not the only one though lol
Well, that makes me feel better! Thanks!

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
My PT145 spring did the same thing. It actually had green-tinged flakes coming off. I thought it was some sort of paint or sealant and the Hoppes was taking it off.

The good thing is that the spring is not rusting and that was a few years ago when the green came off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I cleaned my Millennium G2 for the first time last weekend. i used Hoppes 9 and the used the Hoppes wipes to lube it. Got it out tonight and field stripped it and noticed that parts of the spring now have greenish tint on some parts of it and on other areas there' a white tint. Then there are other parts of the spring that are black. Is this normalal?

If not, any ideas what caused it?The spring still seems to work normally.
Pictures, perhaps?

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Maybe you should contact Hoppes and see what they have to say about it. If you do, please let us know.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't think Hoppes caused it.
My spring has a greenish tint covered with a white pasty goo. And I've never cleaned it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coil spring Screw Suspension part Auto part Shock absorber
Here is a picture of my new pt 111 g2 spring after the color change. This gun is only a couple months old and has only been cleaned twice. The spring changed color the first time. it does not affect the performance at all its just kind of weird if you ask me. My 709 spring did the same thing but NONE of my other firearms have this problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 55856
Here is a picture of my new pt 111 g2 spring after the color change. This gun is only a couple months old and has only been cleaned twice. The spring changed color the first time. it does not affect the performance at all its just kind of weird if you ask me. My 709 spring did the same thing but NONE of my other firearms have this problem.
That's exactly what mine looks like too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The spring on my PT145 was blue at first, it faded to greenish and is now well metal colored. I clean it very regularly. I think it is some chemical coating they put on it to keep from seizing during transport/storage that get eaten away by cleaning/usage. Absolutely no function issues at all.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You washed off the Taurus safety and performance coating, your all doomed!!!

J/K!

Reactions: Wolf1477
1 - 16 of 16 Posts