Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions concerning a reasonably priced spotting scope. I plan on using it to see my groups at a bit over 100 yards. I'm leaning toward Barska because that's the brand that's served me well for my rifles but I'm open to suggestions in regards to brand and magnification.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
You can't go wrong with Barska. I use the optics as in binoculars and spotting scope and have no complaints. You get your monies worth with out breaking the bank.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
SpotScope.jpg

$60 with tripod at Wally World.
20-60X 60mm.
I use it for star gazing also, saw the 4 moons of Jupiter with it on 20X
Not the best, but for the price it works fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a spotting scope online that worked OK for me. It had the offset eyepiece and when it slipped out of it's nylon bag at the rifle range and hit the eyepiece, it was now a two piece spotting scope! Out came the JB Weld and it still works! At a gun show a week later, the rep for NC Star overheard me telling this story and he said if it had been an NC Star scope, he would give me a new one. That will be my next spotting scope purchase.

Rick in Ohio

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used Nc star and Tasco optics before, and like the Nc star but not so much the Tasco.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a spotting scope. Even the cheap ones will let you see bullet holes at 100 yards provided the magnification is sufficient. And since the two biggest uses for spotting scopes seem to be looking for bullet holes and checking up on your neighbors I figure the less spent the better. :D

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bought a 20 X 60 with tripod from Harbor Freight for about $39.00. Not the best but it works.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went for a short drive and found myself at big5. They had 2 Barska scopes and a Tasco on sale. As I've stated, I'm not a fan of Tasco so I bought the more affordable of the 2 Barskas. I got home and tried it out reading the plate numbers off a car 5 houses down the street. That was at X23 magnification, the scope will go up to x40 so it should serve it's purpose just fine. The down side is the tripod, it's completely worthless but all in all I fell I got more than my $30 worth.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I have a BSA that I really like.

SP2060X60.JPG

The thing I REALLY like about this scope is that I can rotate the angled eyepiece to the side and not have to move over behind the scope to look through it. Said another way, I can continue to hold onto my rifle and just lift and turn my head to see the holes in the target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts