Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i inheritad a like new spesco .38 with 4 inch barrell,pearl grips,me and my dad dont think it was ever shot.says taurus on barrell and has a big falcon head on sideplate,made in brasil,blueing is beutiful,and case coloring on trigger and hammer.barely can see a cylinder line,its nicer then my 851 rossi,no tool marks,if i can get my daughter to take a pic,ill post it,this revolver is large, is the 82 or 80 the same framewise,would like some wood grips.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
I'm anxious to see the picture!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You did a fine job describing the gun...now I wanna' see a picture! :icon_ cry:

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Spesco of Atlanta Georgia was an importer and imported a variety of long guns and handguns of different manufactures.

I am guessing it is a model 80 if it has fixed sights and a model 82 if it has adjustable sights. There is a possibility the model # will be on the inside of the crane when you open the cylinder.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
That is a pretty thing, I'd like to have it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
texas deputy,that chrome one on armslist is identical to mine except mines blued.same grips.inside the crane is 754 ,and a d,mine has adjustable sights too,like new,i was reading where spesco might have been the first taurus importer.thanks quikdraw for info.

·
32,658 Posts
It would be nice if guns prior to 1980s for Taurus were listed in detail in books or periodicals of some kind. It seems like bits and pieces are all there is out there at times.

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
I saw a few of these imports in gun shops down here in the mid-to-late 1970's.

Fit and finish were mediocure, but their rough DS/SA triggers is what turned most people off.

That and the fact that (back then) you could get used S&W's and Colts for $20-$30 more.

They were (and are) serviceable revolvers, and their reliability was never called to question.

If one has one with a decent trigger pull enjoy it, replacement parts however could present a problem.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I just did a search for "spesco firearms" on Yahoo, and clicked on "images".

There were several that MAY be as you described.

Is this the correct pistol?

38 spl 4" barrel nickel ,pearl grips with silver eagle head on grips in ex condition has rear adjust sights

ARMSLIST - For Sale/Trade: taurus spesco 38 spl revolver

View attachment 19392

View attachment 19393
That one looks like a fancy pants adjustable sight version of my old cow head Taurus:

I think mine is a Model 80 while the adjustable sight version was the Model 82. I can't swear to that though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The 82 is the heavy barrel fixed sight version. like a S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel, the 80 is the taper barrel version of the same.Taurus dropped the 80's I think in the mid 90's. The 83 is the adjustable sight version, that looks like a S&W Model 15 clone.=)

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
It would be nice if guns prior to 1980s for Taurus were listed in detail in books or periodicals of some kind. It seems like bits and pieces are all there is out there at times.
This would be a job for the Taurus Collectors Association. First we need a few collectors to acquire one of every variation, then write a book.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have been studying multiple closup pictures,my spesco is so close to a model 80,the grips look identicle,what does anyonw have to say before i spend twenty five bucks on gunbroker or bobs,i want some wood,dont care for the pearl grips.think they will fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, when they began stamping inside the frame, the 80 was fixed sight, and 82 was adjustable. But the only stamped model name was Falcon, I believe, until IDI (International Distributors Inc) in Miami became the importer in the late 1970s. Yours looks like a 650,000 range. We traded for a used 643000 range in 1976, so it was probably manufactured in 1975. We got a 648000 range Spesco from another dealer, new condition, in 1978, but it was probably also a 1975 production revolver. I estimate the turn of the year from 1974 to 1975 at about 600,000. If we dig up any more old records, I'll post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 38 special chrome with pearl handles fixed sights with a 4" barrel. Stamped Falcon on the right side of frame with 630 D inside the crane. Need a screw for the ivory grips any idea where to find one? I inherited this a few years back.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I have a 38 special chrome with pearl handles fixed sights with a 4" barrel. Stamped Falcon on the right side of frame with 630 D inside the crane. Need a screw for the ivory grips any idea where to find one? I inherited this a few years back.
You might get more help if you asked in the "Smithing" Forum. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
This is a Model 82 from the Int. Distributor, in Miami. It is the same weight and balance as the 1970's S&W Model 10-6. That is the 4" heavy barrel that was used by so many Law Enforcement Agencies. This gun handles like my 10-6; but the trigger is not as good. Taurus USA told me they would swap me for a new, current production Model 82 for $200.00. Haven't taken them up on it.....yet.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I have a 4" Falcon .38 also, but mine's blued. It's the same as a Taurus m84. Search Numrich, etc. for Taurus 84 parts - they're out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts