Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed any differences in the spelling of "Brazil" on their revolvers? Mine has "Taurus Brasil" stamped midway along the left side of the barrel and "Made in BraZil" on the right side of the frame. I have it on good authority that the use of an 's' is the correct spelling. Anyone else noticed this anomaly?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,938 Posts
You made me look!

Sure enough, that is exactly the way it is.

Doing a good job is like peeing your pants while wearing a dark suit. No one notices, but you still get a warm feeling. :)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone else noticed any differences in the spelling of "Brazil" on their revolvers? Mine has "Taurus Brasil" stamped midway along the left side of the barrel and "Made in BraZil" on the right side of the frame. I have it on good authority that the use of an 's' is the correct spelling. Anyone else noticed this anomaly?
Yep, my model 65 is the same, Brazil on left and Brasil on right. Here's something I found on Google.

"Portuguese is the main language of Brazil

. In Portuguese the proper spelling is with an –s, so: BraSil

. In English and a few other languages the country’s name is written with a –z, so: BraZil. (See the list of ‘Brasil in other languages’). In Brazilian Portuguese

‘Brasil’ is more or less pronounced as ‘Brasiou’.

The country of Brazil was named after the brazilwood tree. This tree got its name because its reddish wood resembled the color of red-hot embers (called ‘brasil’ in Portuguese). By the way, in the local native language Tupi, the tree is called ‘ibirapitanga’, which means literally 'red wood'. In the early days the wood of the tree was used to color clothes and fabrics.

In 1897, the Brazilian Academy of Letters was founded to issue norms on orthography

. Until then there was not an official definition on how to spell the country’s name; ‘Brasil’ as well as ‘Brazil’ were both used, even in official documents like banknotes.

Only in 1945, Portugal and Brazil agreed on the first Orthographic Vocabulary of Portuguese Language. From that moment the proper spelling

in Portuguese has been officially ‘Brasil’.

Until then, in English speaking countries the word ‘Brazil’ was probably more common than ‘Brasil’. So even after the Brazilians decided in favor of ‘Brasil’, other countries continued using the form written with a –z.

In order to show a certain political view, 'Brasil' is sometimes an ‘accidental’ typo for Brazil in English texts. On the other hand, the English spelling 'Brazil' may be used in Portuguese documents in an anti-American or anti-globalist context."

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I just don't sweat the details. After all, is it "colour" or color? My spell checker says "color" is the right spelling of the word. :D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't sweat the details. After all, is it "colour" or color? My spell checker says "color" is the right spelling of the word. :D
Ah but you say potato, and we say pot-ar-to, you say tomato and we say tom-ar-to.. I think the USA dropped certain letters from words to save paper in dictionaries.. over here it's colour, honour.. and, my favourite.. AL-U-MIN-I-UM.. certainly not Aluminum..!! LOL

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
17,703 Posts
They probably used both because they don't know which one the ATF recognizes. Imported items have to have the country of origin. Don't want the ATF to nail you on a technicality.

·
22,292 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about what colour of black the revolvers are across the pond rather than the colors we get here.

Reactions: NativeTexan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts