Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I currently have a model 94 2" that I really enjoy. Use the HKS speedloaders for it.

Been doing more IDPA lately in revolver category and want to get a 3-4" barrel .22LR wheelgun to practice with at my home range (since my centerfire guns I compete with have 3-4" barrels). Considering getting a 990 but I am concerned that it won't take the same speedloader as the 94. Is that right? If it doesn't use the same speedloader which one should I get? FYI - I use HKS when I shoot IDPA.

·
32,532 Posts
You are right that the speedloaders do not fit. I own a Taurus 990, 94,992, and 991. http://www.hksspeedloaders.com/SpeedloaderPage.html
Speedloaders for the 991/992/990 are from www.speedbeez.com Cylinders for the 990/992/991 models are thicker and of a different frame size as well.

If you take a look at HKS .22lrf speedloaders you'll see that they have not one 9 shot model that fits the 94 model that fits the 94 except the HR model.
I used to use the 94 as an understudy gun but switched over to the Taurus 990. Not that the 94 cannot be used for practice for IDPA. It's just that the 94 is smaller in most areas compared to other Taurus .22lrf offerings. The 94 can be used for the IDPA or competition gun.

Now for the however.

The Taurus 990 is only a used gun only proposition. There are many used ones for purchase online. Right now the offerings for a 4" barrel 990 are slim, but that can change at any time. It's easier to get a Taurus 992 with dual cylinders as they are the same frame size as the Taurus 990. Finding 990s online is a bit easier than at the LGSs.

The only speedloader that fits the Taurus is the https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-taurus-tracker-9-shot-speed-loader-22lr-990-992-2/ .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you take a look at HKS .22lrf speedloaders you'll see that they have not one 9 shot model that fits the 94.
Thanks for confirming my concerns. One minor nitpick: the HKS 22-HR does fit the 9-shot 94 .22LR. I have them and use them with my 94.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts