Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Brand new to forum and Rossi firearms and picking my first one up tomorrow. I was wondering if they make a speed loader for the R98. I'm wanting to teach my daughter to shoot and thought a speed loader would help move things along. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Jim welcome to the forum! A R98 will be a great gun for teaching your daughter! Myself and some others on here have asked about speed loaders as well. There is not one specific to the R98 but it is possible one of the other eight shoot speed loaders would work.

HKS does not make a 8 round .22 speed loader but here are a couple that MIGHT work:

Amazon.com: 317 8 Shot 22LR Speed Loader: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: LCR 22 8 Shot Speed Loader: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Ruger SP101 Speed Loader 8 Shot: Sports & Outdoors

If you take a chance on one of them be sure to post back if it worked or not!

If you knew someone with a SP101-22 or the LCR-22 or the old Smith .22 you could compare the cylinders and see if they are close to the same. Or maybe your gun shop has one in stock you can compare to. Other than that maybe a post to a Ruger forum asking if someone could measure their cylinder for you hole to hole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FredG thanks for your reply, and I will definitely let everyone know if I find one that works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stopped by the range close to home and they had a sp101 in the cabinet. I was able to measure the distances between the chambers (side by side and directly across). Then I went home and measured the R98 chambers, and they were exactly the same. I may have to look into the speedloader for the sp101.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I stopped by the range close to home and they had a sp101 in the cabinet. I was able to measure the distances between the chambers (side by side and directly across). Then I went home and measured the R98 chambers, and they were exactly the same. I may have to look into the speedloader for the sp101.
That's awesome Jim! Thank you so much for doing that! :)

I wanted to do the same thing but have never ran across a SP101. I had a hunch they would be the same or close, there are only so many ways to put 8 rounds into a cylinder!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I haven't purchased one yet, but was told by email that this would work. I suggest shooting these folks an email to verify that it would work. The product looks good. Hope you find what you are looking for!

.22 LR - 8 Shot Accessories

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It works!!! The speedloader for the sp101 from speed beez does work on the R98. Thanks to super-fast delivery I got it and tried it out and it works. My daughter is ready to go now with the speedloader and the block I got to go along with it. So now she'll be able to load 8-rounds of ammo pretty quick. Thanks everyone for your assistance and input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok this is cementing it for me. Im going to have to pick one of them up. If only someone would make grips that worked for rossi revolvers. Though I guess im lucky because my wife put a hogue green zombie grip on my 686 ... very glad they dont make them in pink.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven't purchased one yet, but was told by email that this would work. I suggest shooting these folks an email to verify that it would work. The product looks good. Hope you find what you are looking for!

.22 LR - 8 Shot Accessories
I emailed them (.22 LR - 8 Shot Accessories), I like that they're $10 cheaper than the Speed Beez, and their packages are a little more reasonable. Also, there in Zion, which isn't far from home

Though, this: Speed Beez Ruger SP101 Speed Loader 8 Shot : Everything
with this: http://speed-beez.webstorepowered.c...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

is tempting, but almost 1/2 what I paid for my Rossi! :eek:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well unless you are going to carry the R98 one could get by without a speed loader. And even at the range... with ammo scarce and expensive (even and especially .22LR) it might be better to take the time to load without a speed loader and take your time and enjoy every shot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agreed, but I very much enjoy "filling-in" any firearm purchases with magazines, holsters, cases, accessories, whatever, etc.

Since the R98 is my first revolver, would be nice to have some gear to go with it.

5 Star said their "range block kit" block, holds 80 rounds, and comes with two speed loaders. The speed loaders and block do have "LCR" engraved on them :( but, I can get the speed loaders in a tactical finish (dark), and it is significantly cheaper than the SpeedBeez and loading block/case combo...

Hmm, decisions..

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
The 5 Star speedloaders and blocks are very nice, and precision machined. I have not used the .22 loaders, but, I do use the .357 and .44 5 Stars. Metal
Metal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts