Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen in some of the mail order magazines that you can get these speed strips for .357 revolvers. Has anyone tried them out and are they just as fast as a hks speed loader? They seem easier to conceal over that bulkey hks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd like to know this too just as an fyi; I did just purchase an HKS speedloader for my 44 Tracker (it's the model that says Charter Arms 44) and it works great.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Ace said:
I've seen in some of the mail order magazines that you can get these speed strips for .357 revolvers. Has anyone tried them out and are they just as fast as a hks speed loader? They seem easier to conceal over that bulkey hks.
I've used them for years. I carry them (2) held together with a rubber band in my right hip pocket. They are not as fast as a Speed Loader but are still much faster than loading cartridges one at a time. FWIW, my two primary carry guns are a Taurus® Mdl 617SS 2¼" 357 Mag, and a Taurus® Mdl 85UL 2" 38 Special. I load the Speed Strips with 38 Ammo; that way I have spare ammo that will work in either gun & don't have to keep switching ammo. The big advantage of my double speed strip configuration is the low signature over an HKS Speed Loader or two.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
badge851 said:
I've used them for years. I carry them (2) held together with a rubber band in my right hip pocket. They are not as fast as a Speed Loader but are still much faster than loading a cartridge one at a time. FWIW, my two primary carry guns are a Taurus® Mdl 617SS 2¼" 357 Mag, and a Taurus® Mdl 85UL 2" 38 Special. I load the Speed Strips with 38 Ammo; that way I have spare ammo that will work in either gun & don't have to keep switching ammo. The big advantage of my double speed strip configuration is the low signature over an HKS Speed Loader or two.
Agree 100%. I have been using them for over 20 years. With a little practice you can almost get the rounds in as fast as with an HKS. Plus you can carry a lot more speed strips in your pocket than a bulkier speedloader. I've carried up to 10 at a time----unnoticed.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I've been carryin' 'em for a while. They are much easier to carry, but a little slower than a speed loader. However, you can tactical reload with 'em, something you cannot do with a speed loader, IOW, top up mid fight when you get a chance. I've been carrying one loader and one strip. However, when I carry my little Rossi, I just carry strips. The loader doesn't make it past the cylinder latch on it.

I had been carrying a comp 1 Safari Land speedloader. It's a bit faster than the HKSs. However, I'm a bit down on 'em since I was playing with the safariland the other night and found the spring had broken and it wouldn't dump. Hmmm. It's only about a year old. I'm back to HKS now. Had and used 'em for years and years and they at least hold up. If I were competing in revolver class in IDPA, I'd have some comp threes, but I no longer trust safariland for serious carry.

·
32,619 Posts
Okay staff and members, how about describing the process for using the Speed Strips. There are those who have a likely need to to know and would like to find out.
School's in session folks. I think. ;) :???: As the namesake says, " I'll do the thinnin' around here". :rolleyes: :eek: ;D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have to get me some then, I hate having that speed loader bounce around in my coat pocket, of course I have never been in a situation where I have to reload fast.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's like peelin a banana Qwiks... ;) I've gotten so accustomed to them that I just grasp the strip in the web of my hand between my thumb and forefinger and roll it up into a circle (or semi-circle if you're only doing a partial tactical reload) then just peel off the rounds into the chamber. That's how I do it----others may have different methods.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I place the first two rounds in the speed strip (the ones furthest away from the thumbtab in two chambers in the cylinder then peel the strip up to release the rims. Repeat until the cylinder is full. The best part is that the same method is used in a tactical reload for the rounds that are expended.

ECS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using speed strips since the late 80's. Yes they are a little slower to reload. When I am shooting drills I normally shoot five that reload two and re engage. I figure it's better to get back in the game quick than to have a full 5 rounds. I like a small framed revolver for backup and sometimes as a primary in warm weather. But if I am concerned with a superfast reload I'll pack an auto. I digress. The speed strip is a nice compromise between easy to carry and speed of reload. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Frequently when I'm carrying a revolver I'll carry both a speed loader (Safariland) and a speed strip so I have the option to either do a total reload (speed loader) or top off (speed strip). And if the situation is real bad I can do both. :shooter: But I should add that I rarely carry only a revolver, its usually back-up to an auto.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would hope they come out in .44 but their website says just .38\.357, a pity.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Ace said:
I would hope they come out in .44 but their website says just .38\.357, a pity.
I've been wishing that for years!

Steelheart

·
Registered
56 Posts
So am I to understand with Speed Strips the reloads are done one or two cartridges at a time? VS a speed loader where they are all dropped in simultaneously?

After reading the "directions" above, I guess the speed strip is made of a flexible plastic so it bends a little?

BC

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BurkC said:
So am I to understand with Speed Strips the reloads are done one or two cartridges at a time? VS a speed loader where they are all dropped in simultaneously?

After reading the "directions" above, I guess the speed strip is made of a flexible plastic so it bends a little?

BC
I believe it is what they call "rubber" but since I have only seen them in stores, I can't speak from experience. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
They are cheap and you can carry as many as you want. With a little practice you can do as NYPD does or two at a time like I do because I'm not as good as him. But I load eight of them up and keep them around the house for my 38. They are made of a soft plastic or rubber. I have speed loaders to but you can't beat throwing a few of the strips in your pocket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heck I guess I will have to buy a set,practice,practice,practice and then post a video. :D . Unless someone else wants to post a video first.

Rick

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have found the same thing NYPDin AZ has found. They work very well for concealed carry. I used to carry two in my right front pocket. My Model 60 was in my left. I never had one drop a round which was what I was afraid of. You can load 2 chambers at a time with them. They are still a very good choice when light clothing is worn. Bianchi International still markest them. The price is pretty reasonable. They will work for the .38 Special or .357 Mag. They are so inexpensive you can try them & if you don't like them just toss them. Thanks Frank

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Gee, I just get used to speed loaders, moon clips and you want me to try to learn another method. I do like the flat style, but only one of my 4 revolvers could use that size, and style of loading, unless they come in 45 colt too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts