Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have 2500 rounds of 22 LR I want to figure out a way to get them through my Winchester pump in a more efficient fashion than stuffing them through the little hole in the magazine. I remember the carnival guys slapping tubes of 22 shorts into the pump gallery guns.

I could go with the revolving cylinder Speed d loader for about 25.00 plus shipping or try to fashion tubes with stoppers to keep the rounds in until needed for loading. I am racking my little brain for any tubing that I may have hoarded away and don't think I have any which means I would have to buy brake line or similar which defeats the purpose. I read that old aluminum arrow shafts can work but I don't know any archers. I suppose I could stop by any archery ranges to see if they have any old or damaged arrow shafts.

Has anybody else made their own and/or used the Speed D loader?

Spee-D-Loader? - Spee-D-Loader

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I made a couple using hard PVC tubing. It was many years ago so I don't remember the diameter of the pipe but they worked great.

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do some checking the one you have in the ad is a short one holds 6 rounds of 22 LR they make a longer one for rifle holds 11 rounds of 22 mag or I think 14 rounds of 22 LR Have one of the long for my Marlin 22 mag works great remove rod tip up rifle pour rounds into tube install rod quick reload.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I have 2 Spee-D-Loaders and love them. There are a few utoob vids on how to make tube fed speed loaders out of aluminum arrow tubes (like for a bow and arrow). I have a Henry H001 Classic Lever Action in .22LR and they work great. I have the Spee-D-15.

Spee-D-Loader? - Spee-D-Loader

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've seen Guys at our local steel challenge matches use regular soda straws with a piece of masking tape over the end, they fill them with 22lr shells and dump a couple in the tube when they get low, only takes a few seconds.

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do some checking the one you have in the ad is a short one holds 6 rounds of 22 LR they make a longer one for rifle holds 11 rounds of 22 mag or I think 14 rounds of 22 LR Have one of the long for my Marlin 22 mag works great remove rod tip up rifle pour rounds into tube install rod quick reload.
Pretty sure the capacity is 12 rounds of LR...I just grabbed the first model loader I saw. Unless I can get pipe or tube for under 5 bucks buying the proven loader might be the way to go.

I've seen Guys at our local steel challenge matches use regular soda straws with a piece of masking tape over the end, they fill them with 22lr shells and dump a couple in the tube when they get low, only takes a few seconds.
Not in CA though...straws are illegal there. Could this be the reason why? :D

I have read that also...just wonder how strong the straws are when loaded up with rounds.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have a Spee-D-Loader and it beats the heck out of loading one round at a time OTOH, there are loads of folks using tubing of all sorts for less money.

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,681 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the pipe I used came from a pet supply shop. I had a couple large aquariums back then and these pipes were just extra pieces I had laying around. They worked perfect though. I sealed one end and used a wire pin to keep the ammo inside.
A small clevis pin could work or those plastic caps for the ends of the wire closet shelving would be perfect also.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't know about the Winchester but to reload my Marlin 60 and Henry lever action 22 rifle, I just remove the rod going into the magazine tube and drop the cartridges directly into the magazine. You can skip the step of loading them into another tube or magazine loader. It has worked well for me since 2002.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I don't know about the Winchester but to reload my Marlin 60 and Henry lever action 22 rifle, I just remove the rod going into the magazine tube and drop the cartridges directly into the magazine. You can skip the step of loading them into another tube or magazine loader. It has worked well for me since 2002.
Yes, but Spee-d-loader has multiple tubes so you load those tubes then use those to load the rifle. Assumably, the folks here are looking to make a home made loader that acts similarly, that is, load a multiple tube speed loader in your spare time when not at the range. Then when you are at the range you can use your time shooting and not loading. But if you only need/want to shoot a tube full then stand around re-loading, then your method works fine.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Not in CA though...straws are illegal there. Could this be the reason why? :D

I have read that also...just wonder how strong the straws are when loaded up with rounds.
Those California compliant paper straws wouldn't hold up but here in Texas We have Whataburger, You could pull a gallon of ice cream through one of their straws with no problem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've got the Spee-D-loader, I bet I've had it for 20 years if I've had it a day. There are 8 tubes on it, and each holds 15-22lr, for a total of 120 rounds ready to load!! I use it with multiple 22 rifles. It comes out pretty much every time I go to the range. It has NEVER, EVER given me a reason to dump it. I figure I've gotten my money out of it, and it doesn't owe me anything, BUT, ...... it still won't quit!!

Reactions: kshunter

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got the Spee-D-loader, I bet I've had it for 20 years if I've had it a day. There are 8 tubes on it, and each holds 15-22lr, for a total of 129 rounds ready to load!! I use it with multiple 22 rifles. It comes out pretty much every time I go to the range. It has NEVER, EVER given me a reason to dump it. I figure I've gotten my money out of it, and it doesn't owe me anything, BUT, ...... it still won't quit!!
Talked me into it you enabler...:D

Figure this out though. The Spee D Loader website wants 24.97 and 11.97 shipping for a total 36.36.

They sell the model 15 on Ebay for 21.90 and 3.50 shipping...same seller. Net 25.40 delivered

Guess which one I bought?

Reactions: MoMan and kshunter

·
Registered
877 Posts
Had a Marlin 60 for years. I actually used a modified aluminum ARROW. Auto parts store would have a rubber cap to put on the end. I still have some laying around. If anyone's interested I'll get a pic of it for ya'. Really does work great.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Talked me into it you enabler...:D

Figure this out though. The Spee D Loader website wants 24.97 and 11.97 shipping for a total 36.36.

They sell the model 15 on Ebay for 21.90 and 3.50 shipping...same seller. Net 25.40 delivered

Guess which one I bought?
You're easy!! Incidentally, I hope you didn't make that decision based on my fat fingers. Obviously 8x15=120 rounds. I hit 129 with my fat fingers. Now I feel terrible!! lol

In all seriousness, I don't think you'll regret it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts