Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my Spectrum back from warranty repair. New firing pin spring, retaining spring , recoil spring and firing pin housing. My problem is I field stripped the pistol and cannot compress
the recoil spring enough to put it back in place. It seems to be much stiffer than the original spring. Taurus suggested hat I take it to a gun shop and let them put it back in place. They are sending another
spring because I am sure it will be bent beyond use after many failed attempts . Any tricks of the trade to help with the spring?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yea, that sucker is a pain. I cleaned the new one my sister bought. It surprised me and i almost bent it the first try. Hard but doable.
But i have mad skills. I put a trigger spring in an 84 Berreta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. I was told this spring is stiffer than the original. I finally had to compress the spring with both hands and grip the guide rod with pliers
and set it in place. Taurus said it should lighten up with use. They are sending another spring just in case I damage this one. Time will tell..

·
8,900 Posts
One of the reasons I sold mine after two trips to Taurus, they over sprung the gun so much to compensate for other issues that it was ridiculous. Try bending that front coil down flat, it may help. Also I used a punch to slide in from the front (through that little guide rod hole ) to rest the recoil spring on while I compress for reassembling the slide. Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good advice using punch, correct size should hold spring in place as it's compressed.

One of the reasons I sold mine after two trips to Taurus, they over sprung the gun so much to compensate for other issues that it was ridiculous. Try bending that front coil down flat, it may help. Also I used a punch to slide in from the front (through that little guide rod hole ) to rest the recoil spring on while I compress for reassembling the slide. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts