Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Did Taurus ever fix the issue with light primer strikes on the Spectrum 380?

If so, then that's a fantastic deal. Otherwise, I've seen Ruger LCPs at similar prices.

Reactions: PT99AF

·
Registered
535 Posts
Did Taurus ever fix the issue with light primer strikes on the Spectrum 380?

If so, then that's a fantastic deal. Otherwise, I've seen Ruger LCPs at similar prices.
Great question. And if they did, what turned out to be the issue? I sure would like a Spectrum again, but not if still unreliable.

Reactions: PT99AF

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
I don't really understand Taurus reducing the value of of it's inventory and by doing so reducing the value of my Taurus collection.

This kind of pricing can be productive, possibly, but it can also be counter-productive. They have the price of the Spectrum down to a Jennings or Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is it wrong that I won't buy one for that price? Heck I wouldn't buy one for $100 because of their track record. Maybe I'm being to hard on it because I'm really not a fan of the .380 and then to add the low capacity and history.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Is it wrong that I won't buy one for that price? Heck I wouldn't buy one for $100 because of their track record. Maybe I'm being to hard on it because I'm really not a fan of the .380 and then to add the low capacity and history.
ahh, well if you want an honest answer from me---NO---actually HELL NO!
I have had enough with the BS personally and am slowly ridding myself of problem children from Brazil.
I have a 99 and 4 PT1911 that I will likely hang on to but no new Bulls in my future that I see.
I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for one myself.
I like the 380 cartridge and have several and they have been good weapons for me, the TCP was not and sits in the top of my safe.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
I don't really understand Taurus reducing the value of of it's inventory and by doing so reducing the value of my Taurus collection.

This kind of pricing can be productive, possibly, but it can also be counter-productive. They have the price of the Spectrum down to a Jennings or Phoenix.
well as you seem to be a natural at investment I have this really, really, really nice Ping Pong Ball collection that I would be interested in selling!!!---

Attachments

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. Mine is absolutely reliable. I'm getting a bit weary of the same old bashing as a result of the problems of yesteryear. While I understand the hesitancy of those who were without their pistol for an extended period of time back with the OTHER MODEL recall, and those who waited way tOo long for repairs because Taurus was too stupid to stock repair parts except on the infrequent slow boat from Brazil, know that The new product is USA made and serviced. I own a Pt809c, a PT11G2, a PT22, and the Spectrum, and not one issue with any of them. Not even a FTF or FTE. 5-10 years ago it was a different story, but my Spectrum was a deal when I bought it at 199. To pass one up at under 150 doesn't make sense. But go out and buy a P238 for 500 if you want.. I have one of them too, and I'll carry the Spectrum over it any day.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
So based on what I can see, the Spectrum 380 still has light primer strikes, so yeah, not worth it.

Sadly, Taurus has really gone down hill at this point, and there's really no reason to own a Spectrum when there are other 380 pocket pistols offered at similar prices by more reputable manufacturers that will certainly go bang when you pull the trigger.

It's a real shame too, as I really like the aesthetics of the Spectrum 380, (reminds me of a miniature Vector CP9) and it is priced very nicely, but none of that matters if you can't be sure that it will actually fire should the need arise.

Honestly, if you want a good, reliable 380 pocket pistol for a similar price, then check out the Ruger LCP. They're on sale on Bud's for $175. Or the Beretta Pico which is also on sale on Bud's for $189. Not quite as cheap as the Spectrum at $135, but the extra $40-$54 is worth it for the reliability, not to mention the customer service offered by either company is superior to Taurus.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
+1 on the Riuger, but if you want a Pico, buy mine, please...

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
27,839 Posts
FYI: That's an online only special.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
+1 on the Riuger, but if you want a Pico, buy mine, please...

yea, I agree!
the Pico is in my opinion is about the worst Beretta to hit the market, I can't think of a single thing that I like about the lil gun myself.
but then again we all have different hands and likes.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Wait, what's wrong with the Pico? Granted that the aesthetics aren't great, but is there anything wrong with it functionally?

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
Wait, what's wrong with the Pico? Granted that the aesthetics aren't great, but is there anything wrong with it functionally?
Pico kind of belongs with Tuco, or Taco, or even de gallo.....just my personal opinion of course! :) Add Poco to the frey and think up all the different names of Mexican Fast Food places you could come up with: Tuco's Tacos con Pico de Gallo.

Pico sounds more like a Mexican Relish than Mexican "Little or Tiny!"

·
Registered
27,839 Posts
I find the controls difficult.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder as they say!
to me the pico doesn't fit anything for me, everything is off kilter, don't point naturally, don't feel right in the hand, don't shoot accurately for me, nothing works for me and the pico and from the prices they have been selling for I think a lot of other people agree as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good price. If that deal runs out soon Bud's has them for $138 after the rebate. I'm giving it more time to see if issues are resolved. I like my Pico but the grip is for infants. Like it's shrink-wrapped around the magazine & feels like a Bic lighter. 1 1/2 finger grip. The Spectrum I looked at felt WAY better & I'm sure I could shoot it much better with my 2XL hands, yet it's still smaller than my 9mm micro pistol.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Good price. If that deal runs out soon Bud's has them for $138 after the rebate. I'm giving it more time to see if issues are resolved. I like my Pico but the grip is for infants. Like it's shrink-wrapped around the magazine & feels like a Bic lighter. 1 1/2 finger grip. The Spectrum I looked at felt WAY better & I'm sure I could shoot it much better with my 2XL hands, yet it's still smaller than my 9mm micro pistol.
just curious what micro 9 MM that you have?
the spectrum isn't really any smaller than a Kimber micro 9, a Sig 938, and certainly not my Sig 365, and its larger than my Sig 238 by a bit.
heres a picture of the a TCP which is smaller than the Spectrum lying over the Sig 365.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts