Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked a spectrum up at local gun show in a bundle trade of other guns I heard they are a finicky pistol when it comes too ammo any suggestions on ammo that has worked ie brand,#grains brass steel aluminum???

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
1. Buy a box of everything you can find from every manufacturer you can find, to include hollow points.

2. Go to the range and start firing a magazine of each.

3. Some will fail, put them back on the shelf for later.

4. Those that run, find the ones that are the most accurate in your gun.

5. Buy more of the accurate and "will run the gun".

6. 500 rounds later repeat steps 2 and 3

7. You will find some of these will now cycle and may be more accurate than what you are currently using, repeat step 5

8. At 1000 rounds repeat steps 2 and 3

9. Most everything is now working, use the most accurate ammo you can find to include FMJ for practice and HP for carry.

10. Anything that doesn't run, well .... my bet is there isn't any that won't run. But if there is 'don't buy any more of that'.

Personally, I've never had one that didn't run every thing after 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Nobody told me they were picky about ammo so I have shot all sorts of different stuff in mine without any issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips just ordered 200 rds of Fiocchi 200 rds Blazer Brass and 2 rds Aguila all 95 gr. And Hornady critical Defense let's see what happens.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
they originally had a reputation for having light primer strikes and an over sized firign pin hole in the breech face.
so I would avoid any foreign manufacture ammo and steel cased until i had time to play with gun after a good break in.
federal ammo pretty much has the softest primers (assuming they use Federal primers?)
as mentioned try a lot of different ammo and see what your particular weapon likes.
both of my pocket pistols are Sigs so I don't have such worries and I don't own a Spectrum.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
For a $119 pistol if you get one that works and I am sure most do you are good to go, if it doesn't you are out hardly anything. They are priced in todays dollars cheaper than the $45 dollar Ravens 35 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts