Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the cops and other "knowledgables" out there.

What is the real edge of special police units? Is it merely lots of tactical training and practice? Or do special units have more reasonable policies and procedures that allow them to get the job done instead of tying their hands at every turn?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A lot of those units operates as a team of six or seven whereas your regular patrolman is lucky to have one partner and maybe a backup that's a few minutes away. This constitutes an army in most urban settings and the mere force of them directed at one place is enough to make things happen a lot quicker. You throw in the fact that most drug warrants are served at 4-6 am in the morning when most druggies are passed out or at their worst part of the day it makes for an effective force. It's a misnomer that those officers have more reasonable policies that "tie the hands of regular officers" In fact a good TAC squad have more rules they have to follow, the reason being is that these people go in keyed up and with heavier weapons if they screw up, they or their teamates will most likely get their head blown off. Plus they are civil servants they have to play by the rules like every one else on the force otherwise they are just an assasination squad. The validity of no-knock warrants is still being debated, yes they are effective, but recent studies have shown that executing a raid in surprise is actually more dangerous than traditional knock warrants with the same individuals and Special Units. That being said I firmly believe you can prove anything with statistics if you play with the numbers a little. So take from it what you will, I doubt that "SWAT" teams will go away, I just think that most departments have them just to have them, and there are relatively few cities that actually need them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ace said:
they have to play by the rules like every one else on the force otherwise they are just an assasination squad.
Are you saying you're an assassin if you break a BS rule to nail a child molester or that there are no BS rules?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
joe i can understand why you think little rules are ment to be broken but without procedure the system breaks down it's not fair for anyone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joe sixpack said:
joe i can understand why you think little rules are ment to be broken but without procedure the system breaks down it's not fair for anyone.
I didn't say little rules, I said BS rules, and I said it in the clear context of whether BS rules might be eliminated by some commanders for special units. That is the title of this thread.

I asked him if he thought there was no such thing as BS rules. I believe that is a perfectly valid question in a day and age when legislation is finally starting to replace laws that protect crooks, punish victims and put cops in untenable positions.

And please remember that it was not my suggestion that cops would break rules and become assassins, but his. I take exception to the broad assumption that units with better rules would encourage or breed assassins.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
joebob said:
Are you saying you're an assassin if you break a BS rule to nail a child molester or that there are no BS rules?
settle down bob.. this came out of your own mouth not anyone elses.

you might think something is "BS" but everyone has to follow the same rules, you can't just break them when you want to get what you want.

i never said anything about assassination's.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
How about we all settle down before this thread is locked? It seems to be going nowhere at this point.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
How about we all settle down before this thread is locked? It seems to be going nowhere at this point.
Nicely put and for the life of me I can't seem to see the point of this thread...?

All people have the potential to break, bend or twist a rule/law given the right circumstances. When you speak of special, elite or tactical LEO units they generally have to be even more cautious of the rules or codes of conducts, simply because of their high profile professions. The thing here to keep in mind is that not all LEO agencies have the same rules depending on the Agency they represent (city, state, federal or private...).

All this being said, I still don't see the point of this thread?

·
21,932 Posts
Being in agreement with other staff members I think this thread has stopped being useful.
This thread has been locked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.