Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was getting a standard weight blued 85 for what I thought was a steal, then I ran into a blued UL for $175.... Needless to say I'm now getting the UL on the 15th. I may trade for an all steel version in the future.

Is there any special care for the UL's? I know to inspect and clean it before I shoot it, as I would with any (especially used) firearm.... but is there anything else I should know?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think standard cleaning is okay with the blued ultralight. I had a stainless 851UL, and it was a different case. The alloy frame picked up stains and so forth, and there was not much I could do to clean it up -- actually made it look worse. If I were to buy another UL, it would be a blued version....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, that's what I hear... I've shot alot of .357 through snubbies, so I am familiar with the bite.... I think it will be less than that, but still less than enjoyable. I'll prolly trade for an older pre lock steel version someday.

I hope there isn't anything special to know because when I get it I'll completely dissasemble, clean, and inspect it as I normally would for an all steel handgun. I've just never had an aluminium gun before. I'd hate to overlook something or use the wrong chemicals (like I did on a nickle plated Bersa 45UC:().

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Actually my wife has a M85 2" UL. She's fine with it.

The original one had a compensated barrel. We had sent it back for a minor repair, and for some reason, they replaced it with a brand new gun (non-compensated), instead of repairing it. Most people say the compensated barrel does not make any difference in that particular weapon, but my wife says it did.

Only thing I don't like about the gun, is the gold plated hammer, trigger, and cylinder release. Looks very nice, especially with the rosewood grips, but that gold wore off of her first gun very quickly. She actually refrains from shooting this new one very often, as she hates to see that gold wear off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted the gold for awhile, but realized that it's a carry piece and it wasn't necessary.... I more wanted it for the wood grip. Now I'll just order the grips if I want 'em.

Sad to hear that it comes off easily.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Yeah. If I knew they were gonna replace the gun. I would have sent it in with the rubber grips installed. Then I would have had an extra set of the rosewood ones.

I had to buy a set for her M941

1 - 7 of 7 Posts