Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to go to the range Wednesday.
Just thought I'd share my fun.
I have just recently started reloading 9mm rounds and didn't have a lot of 9mm bullets. So I went to the GS to buy some. Evidently every one buys up their 9's and they only had a few. Well it's about a 30 min. drive to the gun store and I didn't want to come back. They did have some 95 gr. 380 cast RN. I had heard of someone on TA loading some 380 bullets into 9 mm cases. They are only .001 difference between 9mm and 380's. I bought 100 to try out.
I didn't have a lot of hope for them working very well but I tried them anyway. I loaded them with 4.5 gr. Bullseye. Let me tell you, at 15 yards these rounds were very accurate, I couldn't believe it. Very light recoil and worked my 9mm, C9 Hi Point with no failures at all. I will be buying more in the future. In my opinion they are great target rounds and cost less that 9mm's!
Anyone else tried these? I'd like to hear opinions on reloading 380's in 9mm.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
He said HI-Point C9. My understanding on those guns is that they are very understanding, forgiving and highly reliable. Sounds like a good plan to me, it has the one, single required qualifier: IT WORKS, WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
He said HI-Point C9. My understanding on those guns is that they are very understanding, forgiving and highly reliable. Sounds like a good plan to me, it has the one, single required qualifier: IT WORKS, WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guesser. I didn't realize that was the gun model. :eek:

Rob

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
well not exactly the same thing but here is my 9 MM carry round, a 92 grain full copper projectile in 9 MM.
This is a non Plus P ammo that is rated at 1300 FPS out of a 4 inch barreled 9 MM , thats about 390 Ft Pounds of energy if I remember correctly.
After some research and investigation I decided to test them out of various 9mm from a 3 inch barreld Beretta PX4 SC to a 5 inch barreled PT99 Taurus.
the groups are 10 shot groups at 10 yeards, as you can see accuracy wasn't problem with them and they functioned 100% in all 4 weapons.
at 24 bucks a box of 50 i can't reload all copper for that hardly.
I do have some 88 grain and 100 grain all copper projectiles to play with in the 380 and 9 MM but haven't done that yet.
I talked to another guy that loads the 102 grain Remington Golden Sabre in 38 super and claims its the most accurate load that he has for the Super?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guesser. I didn't realize that was the gun model. :eek:

Rob
Yea Rob.
That's the only 9mm I have at the moment. But not forever! :D
I must say that's one reliable, but not pretty, semiauto. It's accurate enough for my abilities. I just don't understand why the Hi Point guns get such bad reviews. Granted they are not a Colt 1911, but they work everytime for me. They are not as heavy as some of the better brands. And like guesser said with a lifetime warranty, what's not to like?
The guns stores around here like them. They sell like hotcakes. I've been told by several GS they can't get enough of them. So someone must like them.
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
As a Hi-Point owner, I'll say that they are a bit on the finicky side. Magazines for them tend to be crap, so they require some tuning to work properly. The guns are VERY sensitive to limp-wristing, and they are lacking in ergonomics. That said, they're inexpensive, they go bang, and the warranty really is unbeatable.

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
I've loaded the Lighter 9mm/.380 Bullets, both cast and jacketed, in the 9x19mm with excellent results. Have used Alliant Red Dot and Green Dot. Certainly does make for a snappier target load with 95 grain Hard Cast Bullets. Still have quite a supply of them, too.

I have not really devoted much time to loading for the .380 ACP, although I still own one. I just don't shoot .380 very much at all. I mostly shoot the 9mm or .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a Hi-Point owner, I'll say that they are a bit on the finicky side. Magazines for them tend to be crap, so they require some tuning to work properly. The guns are VERY sensitive to limp-wristing, and they are lacking in ergonomics. That said, they're inexpensive, they go bang, and the warranty really is unbeatable.

I have experienced the limp wristing jams, although not frequently. There is a lot of complaints about the mags needing adjustments. I must be one of the lucky ones, I haven't had to do anything to mine. I have fired everything from Tullammo to Winchester. Runs great on anything I put in it incloding reloads.
So I'll quit beating a dead horse and shut up about Hi Points, but mine has been great fun! Wouldn't think twice about using it as a home defense gun!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I had several hundred 95-grain copper plated bullets left over from my life as a .380 owner, and I loaded them into 9 mm cases with about 6.8 gr Accurate #5. Shooting them in my Glock 19 resulted in pin-point accurate, soft-recoiling, perfect-functioning handgun rounds.

I wouldn't want to shoot them in anger at anybody, but for target practice, they're a "win."

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
896 Posts
Loaded .380 bullets into 9mm cases before. Worked fine. Just make sure to use 9mm data. I think I had used my Lymans 49th for it. No problems at all
Very fun an accurate to boot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts