Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my stimulus check and went to the gun shop, picked up a 3rd gen PT145 SS for $349 NIB...now that I've got it I have a question:

I presently carry a Kel Tec P11, mainly because it's DAO and has no safety. Being that I'm left handed, can I carry my new PT145 loaded safely without the manual safety on, as it's super difficult to manipulate it left handed? I read what it says in the manual about being SA/DA, but I've also read on the forum about people carrying CCW without the safety on. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. :???:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a SS PT145 and I'm a lefty. I never put the safety on.

Just make sure your holster covers the trigger and make it a habit of keeping your finger off the trigger. Basic gun handling rules.

I carry my PT145 in a pocket holster or an IWB holster and have no worries.

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
You can, but I wouldn't. You have to remember that it is in single action mode. Same as carrying a cocked revolver with no safety. You can master flicking the safety off left handed if you just practice it. DAO is another animal all together. :thumb:

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
I wouldn't either. If you do decide to, though, I would seriously consider a rigid type of holster, one that is molded to exactly fit your gun and completely covers the trigger guard. I'd be careful with anything that is even close to snug - you don't want to have to count your toes after shoving your gun into a snug or tight leather/nylon holster. I would look at the Fobus-type holsters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, looks like I've got to do a lot of practicing with my left thumb, just like back in the military with my 1911.

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
Just something to consider.....I'm a lefty, and until I started shooting pistols, my right hand was useless. For various reasons, like the safety, the mag release, etc., I decided to become a right-handed shooter. It took a while, but except for shooting a long gun, I shoot right handed. It just saves headaches like this one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Just something to consider.....I'm a lefty, and until I started shooting pistols, my right hand was useless. For various reasons, like the safety, the mag release, etc., I decided to become a right-handed shooter. It took a while, but except for shooting a long gun, I shoot right handed. It just saves headaches like this one.
Hey Tex does that mean you close your left eye to shoot straight?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like Maverick said, it's all about avoiding the trigger until you're ready to actually fire. This is true for any gun.

I would argue that it's not significantly more dangerous than somebody carrying a subcompact Glock or M&P (without the optional manual safety). They're only a short, ~6 lb pull away from firing, too, and IMHO their trigger safeties offer a minimal margin of safety in any reasonable holster entanglement/unintentional discharge scenario. The new Sig P250 has no safety, and it's DAO trigger needs only a (slightly longer) 6 lb pull to fire.

If it's a big concern for you, trade in the PT145 for a subcompact Walther P99 (Unlike the Taurus, it has a decock button so you can carry it in DA.) or XD45 (grip safety).

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
No, I'm messed up - I still use my left eye so I pull my head pretty far over. I still shoot straight but it probably looks goofy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts