Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a source or two for those wanting spare mags or needing to replace faulty ones. www.gunclips.net has just about all the Taurus mags in stock. www.mec-gar.com has mags for the PT92,99,100,101 or PT111 Mil/pros. I have several Mec-gars for several years now and they work just fine. Function has been flawless thus far.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Eeeeek!!!

That's the one thing that annoys me about my PT145, $40 mags!!

The MecGars have always been good to me and are usually better than factory quality for a little less (on my PT92 at least).

Midway has the MilPro aftermarket mags for around $20, but I have no idea of their reliability/function.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Watch EBAY for mags. I purchased 5 PT145 and 3 24/7 45cal mags for less then $30.00 each (shipping included and most where around $25.00). All where Taurus Factory mags... ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Mecgar is one company that I'd recommend for mags. They make OEM mags for some reputable companies, I think Beretta is one but don't quote me on it.

Steelheart

·
Registered
356 Posts
Magazines can be a semi-auto's weakest functional feature - not to be stuck up about things, but I won't risk after-market mags. The difference is perhaps $5 to $10 per mag but seems to eliminate a potential source of trouble. I don't have feeding problems with my guns, and I attribute my 'luck' largely to this policy.

Now if you are only range shooting, a few mis-feeds are no problem - in my case, every gun I have can and does take a turn as my personal protection gun; I don't want to wonder if it's going to work.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with you about quality mags. I generally stick with factory mags for my firearms (unless its something like a ruger 10/22, one thier 22 pistols). Generally for the somewhat small difference in price between after market and factory, I'd go factory. Shop around, do a googl search...

·
Administrator
18,573 Posts
Thanx for the Links! I was wondering where I might get those 20 round PT92 magazines I want!
Also consider http://www.cdnninvestments.com/, as they sometimes have Mec-Gar and Factory Magazines.

Mec-Gar has made Factory Issue magazines for some of the Taurus line and I've never gotten a bad magazine from them, for Taurus or other makes.

Manufacturers I would generally avoid are Triple K, Sabatti, ProMag and USA. Below are my general opinions and experience with them.

Triple K's are just plain terrible. Best tossed into a recycling bin and forgotten!

ProMag design/manufacture quality is spotty. Some they do rather well and others are just plain terrible! I've had both! Currently, the only Magazines I would buy from them are the Thermold Design AR15 and Ruger Mini-14 magazines they make. They bought the Tooling and Molds from the original company and haven't messed it up.......yet. Have some Magazines they made for the Taurus PT945 and S&W 4506 and they work very nicely. Their metal AR15, Taurus PT92, EAA Witness, and 1911 magazines were very very bad! I did manage to rebuild some ProMag PT92 magazines with Followers from older PT92 Magazines that had worn out magazine lips and new springs, but it is not something I would generally recommend. These were for my IPSC competition only and the 94 Assault Weapons Ban 10 round magazine restrictions were in place at the time, making replacement Normal Capacity magazines quite expensive and scarce.

USA Magazines, no longer in business, has basicly the same story as ProMag. Some Magazines they did rather well and others terrible. I have some PT92 and Ruger P89 magazines they did well. AR15, EAA Witness, and 1911 magazines, terrible!

Sabatti Magazine Followers and Springs could be better than they are. Why bother to buy if you have to spend money to rebuild?!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with factory mags or Mec-Gar mags for carry.
Any other brand will work for the range.
I mark the cheap ones with a permanent marker. (big T for training)
They are great for clearance drills, and reload training.
If they miss feed or jam that is even better.
I don't like ejecting my good mags on concrete floors or the ground.
So I picked up some cheap mags for practice, if they break so what.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.