Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to firearms and am slowly learning the laws regarding owning and carrying a firearm. I had a friend tell before I got my gun to go get my ccw permit. He also said that when someone is ccw they must be ready to use it at any given time to protect themselves or others. Well I found out the Va is not a stand your ground state which leads me to believe that you cannot just whip your gun out and defend yourself. Is this true what are the laws if your state is not a stand your ground state or am I looking at this wrong?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A CCW does one thing - it gives you the right to carry a concealed handgun legally. Period. Anything else is covered by laws already in place - be they stand your ground laws, or self defense laws. You'll have to check your state laws, but that should also be a part of CCW training. The only responsibility you get with a CCW, again depending on the state, might be a duty to retreat. You're not a mini-leo with a CCW. Just a citizen with a means to defend yourself.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Each state is different.
In Ohio you are supposed to be in retreat. At least that's what our instructor said.
In our homes I think we can stand our ground.
But the instructor said if the bad guy bursts in and says 'I'm taking your TV!' you must let him because he is not threating your life.
He also said if you fire your weapon you must be prepared to foot the legal bills right or wrong. You will need a lawyer.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Most states that don't have stand your ground type laws require you to make every possible attempt to remove yourself from the situation before deadly force can be used. There will be differences in the self defense laws of various states. Even among those that do have stand your ground type laws.

Here's a link to a summary of Virginia's self defense laws.
http://www.piedmontnrainstructors.org/resources/SummaryOfVAFirearmsLaw.pdf

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Pretty much, if you feel your life is threatened or the lives of your loved ones, you have the right to defend yourself.. But yes, by all means take your Concealed carry course, and you will learn the do's and dont's..:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, speaking with a LEO or Sheriff is good, but they don't always "know" he laws pertaining to CCW and self defense. Lawyers tend to be the experts on that. A LEO can arrest you even if you are in the right if they are unsure. Read the state laws. You are responsible for your actions under them.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Go online and read the laws of your State. Another good place to get summaries and updates is Handgunlaw.us.

And you should never just jerk out your pistol. The weapon is the last resort to fend off imminent danger and protect yourself. Even if there is a "No Duty to Retreat" or "Stand Your Ground" doctrine, you should leave the area if you spot trouble developing. In Texas, these laws are iron-clad but not in other States.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Everyone here has said it for the laws. One thing your friend told you I disagree with. Get your gun first, take some classes if you are able to. Go to the range quite often and shoot as much as possible also. Kinda hard to do right now but get some snap caps and dry fire away. Before you ever make your gun your CC, you need to know what it's doing and what you are gonna have to do if it doesn't. Most importantly, you need to be sure it is a reliable firearm. Heaven forbid you actaully need to use it and you forgot to take off the safety or whatnot. Practice first is my honest opinion

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My best advice would be to talk to your local sheriff or pd and he/she should be able to answer any questions or concerns you have. And I hope you are never in a situation where you would have to stand your ground
Good advice. Always check your local laws and statutes regarding this.

·
Registered
676 Posts
One question you should always have the answer to - Do I need to?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm new to firearms and am slowly learning the laws regarding owning and carrying a firearm. I had a friend tell before I got my gun to go get my ccw permit.
This can be confusing. Some states require a license to even purchase and own a handgun (or perhaps a firearm, period, in some cases). In those states, if you are permitted to carry it on your person for defensive purposes at all, you are typically required to have a *separate* license or permit authorizing you to carry a weapon.

In less restrictive states, no licenses are required at all to purchase and own a typical weapon. Meanwhile, most states will only require a permit or license to carry a weapon for defensive purposes. Some (relatively few at this point) don't require a permit at all, or don't require a permit for open carry. Still others (somewhat oddly) allow you to carry long weapons (rifle or shotgun) without a permit, but require permits for handguns.

So, basically, it depends on where you are.

He also said that when someone is ccw they must be ready to use it at any given time to protect themselves or others.
I suspect this was more about the mental commitment and thought processes required of you to safely and responsibly carry a weapon. Deciding to carry a weapon is line not to be crossed lightly. It requires mental discipline ahead of time and commitment to not only learn to handle the weapon safely and effectively, but also to know when and how it is appropriate (and legal) to draw and use it. It also requires that you, as an individual, recognize, accept, and commit to the fact that carrying and using a weapon means you are willing to take responsibility for the consequences of using a weapon, not the least of which is the fact that you could be directly responsible for the death of another person. This is true regardless of any legal repercussions. Failing to recognize all this and prepare yourself ahead of time means that your weapon could easily put you and others in greater danger, not less. There are plenty of situations where hesitation (lack of mental commitment) and lack of skill (poor training) have led to a good person’s weapon being used against them and others.[/QUOTE]

Well I found out the Va is not a stand your ground state which leads me to believe that you cannot just whip your gun out and defend yourself. Is this true what are the laws if your state is not a stand your ground state or am I looking at this wrong?
"Stand your ground laws" and "Castle Doctrines" are generic terms for a great many different laws in different places. Generally, they help define the circumstances under which you are legally allowed to use deadly force AND, often, they are intended to limit any recourse the "victim" (of you shooting) or their family has against you. That last portion mainly pertains to Civil Law, but the laws can (and do) have bearing on both Civil and Criminal Law. (Two very different realms of law.) So, basically, it depends (once again) on where you are. (Note that I didn't say where you live...)

The bottom line is this: As a responsible gun owner and concealed weapon carrier, you have a significant responsibility to prepare yourself ahead of time. That means making important decisions ahead of time and training so that you are prepared when it counts. It also means that you MUST know and understand the law for any and all jurisdictions you plan to visit while armed.

All that said, check with your state and local government for laws, policies, and restrictions regarding firearm purchases, ownership, storage, transportation, and use so that you know what you are dealing with. Also, check places like http://handgunlaw.us for plain-language information on specific topics like permits, use of force, and reciprocity.

Good luck and stay safe!

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
I'm new to firearms and am slowly learning the laws regarding owning and carrying a firearm. I had a friend tell before I got my gun to go get my ccw permit. He also said that when someone is ccw they must be ready to use it at any given time to protect themselves or others. Well I found out the Va is not a stand your ground state which leads me to believe that you cannot just whip your gun out and defend yourself. Is this true what are the laws if your state is not a stand your ground state or am I looking at this wrong?
Some states getting your CCW permit will wave any waiting periods for picking up your gun.

As far as defending your self, learn the laws of your state and any state you may be traveling to. - They are all different.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
One axiom holds true in all 50 states regarding gun laws...

"Ignorance is no defense in court"

Do your home work on Virginia's laws. In most states the "States Attorney" or "District Attorney" is an elected official. Their office is the first place I would address any law I had a question about. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
talk to your local sheriff.Go online and read the laws of your State and take your Concealed carry course. The course should emphise what you have found out from the others

jhp

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
Sounds like you have started on a life long path. That's the good news now the bad, you have a lot to learn but your not alone, Welcome to one of the best forums for asking questions. We are happy to have you. Now comes the responsibility of gun ownership and all that goes with it. Please do all that's been posted and read away here to help you get acquainted with owning a gun. Then take as many classes that you can afford so you are well versed in the laws of your part of the country. Now get to know everyone and start you journey that will give you the confidence and ability to protect yourself and your family.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
28,625 Posts
Start here: Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits
As you will note, to get a CCW you will have to demonstrate competence with a firearm to even get a CCW.
One way to do that is to take an NRA approved safety course. Issues like this will be covered.
Pursue the links on the above website and learn the laws.
Remember, you are responsible for every bullet you fire until it comes to rest.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Do not talk to your local LEO. Odds are they don't know the actual law, especially if it has been updated in the past five years or so. Do ask a competent firearms instructor or three. Do find your local (state-level) carry advocacy organization. Chances are they know all the hidden "gotchas" lurking in your states firearm laws since they have been working to get them fixed for a while. Anothe reason not to ask LEO for advice is anything you say may come back to haunt you. Should you need to defend yourself, you can bet a lawyer will dig up your conversation and use it to "prove" you are a bloodthirsty killer. The exception is if you know a LEO personally and you know they are 2A friendly. Then definitely ask. Heck, they may even be willing to go to the range with you and offer some pointers.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
When you take the CCW class, they should inform you of what your local laws are. They should also tell you that you should always use your most powerful weapon first. Your brain. Do whatever you can to avoid a situation and not be the aggressor because you have a weapon.

I am very new as well to the armed lifestyle and wish you well. It made me more aware of what's going on around me and that people who carry aren't nut jobs like what is portrayed on tv. Also remember that some family members and friends aren't educated as much as you are (only by what they see on tv) about guns so there will be some hand holding. LOL!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts