Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going to a Pa. State Park public shooting range off and on since I was 16 years old. Great place to meet new folks and shoot my rifles with my sons. Over the past several years they have required a shooting license for $30.00 for 1 year of use. I am ok with that figure range maintenance and all. Purchasing the license was simple and easy just name ,address and credit card and print license. Just went to renew for another year and now they require name, address , drivers license #, social security #. :mad: Why in the heck do they need my SS#. Talk about Gov. overreach.

·
Registered
18,992 Posts
Wolf just got more of his commie agenda pushed through, that's prob'ly part of it. Swear to God...:dry:...that lowlife makes obama look patriotic.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I don't give my SS# to ANYBODY except the government. Not that I trust them with it either but sometimes you have to.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
So you haven't b4en to the old Caledonia (Franklin County) range since it was a trash dump?

In 1965, when I first started using it, it was a shooting range (had been an old sand-pit, abandoned for shooting purposes for twenty years) but then became an place for a**hats to shoot up TV's, refrigerators, etc., and leave the rubbish for someone else. Got closed by the state when they expanded the park, and finally became a range up behind the Long Tun Reservoir. Open = Closed - Open again, - - - -and now I don't know what - - - - NOR DO I CARE! Seems like the irresponsible brought that upon themselves. A hundred and fifty miles from Phila, but they 'gangstas" still shoot up the place with full-auto AKs, then run out of the place like they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I have been a member of a very responsible shooting club at the opposite end of the county since 1980. It is a delight to shoot with people who clean up after themselves, and don't shoot junk for targets.

·
Premium Member
13,278 Posts
I've never used the public shooting ranges in PA. For the last 30 years I've held a membership at a local hunting and fishing club that has its own range and only costs me $35 a year. Most of the time I'm the only one using the range and that's just fine by me. It's not state of the art, but has a 25 yard pistol range, 40 yard shotgun and 50 and 100 yard rifle. The best part is that it's only 5 minutes away. The members are the only ones allowed on the range and only paper targets can be used which helps to keep the place clean. Whenever I have encountered other members they have always been respectful, careful and friendly. Like any rifle range, it sees the most use just prior to hunting season and I try to avoid it during that time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The range is maintained and fairly clean although not as nice as 30 years ago. No gangstas. Park ranger makes frequent visits to check licenses and to make sure folks are following the rules.

·
Super Moderator
36,438 Posts
If they know your SSN already and just want to verify that it really is the person who is applying then the last four numbers should be sufficient for that purpose. If they don't know it...then there is no reason to ask a citizen for that info. Maybe drop a dime to Social Security Administration. They are concerned with security and may be interested in knowing that PA is treading in their water.

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Last time I filled out a form 4473, even the SS# was optional on it. Should be the same or not at all on that range license.
Yea, I know Jerome down in Vine City that runs Cadilliac Trunk Guns and Electronic Store never ask for such information either!
I haven't put a SS Number of a 4473 in years and years!

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I haven't done a public range since I moved from NJ. Used to be one at Turkey Swamp park. I now belong to a small club that is members only. It has a 25, 50, 100, and 150 yard. It cost me $30 to renew, and $5 for junior members so can take kids.
In the years I have been a member I've seen someone there maybe 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I know how you feel, I actually neglected to renew my range permit when it expired last month because I just don't want to pay $30 to shoot at a range with dragonian rules like; "Magazine Capacity must be limited to 6 rounds" and "Use of shotshells is prohibited."

Honestly, the range is in the middle of a wooded area with a giant sand mound as a backstop, so WHY are shotshells prohibited? Also, last time I checked there were no regulations on handgun magazine capacity in the state, so why do I have to limit my magazine capacity to 6 rounds?

Yeah, I'm not going to hand over $30 and my SSN just to shoot on state land with ridiculous Fudd rules like that. In fact, that's unfair to Fudds because they don't have a problem with Shotguns.

I don't know if all ranges located on state gameland have rules like that, but that's how it is on the range I had been going to.

·
Registered
18,992 Posts
I still have and carry my original, paper SS card issued back in the '60s and boy, does that ever screw 'em up at gov't offices...:smile:...really the only reason I still have it and have always refused to replace it. I guess I just try to get a li'l fun outa' everything I do. :sad:..it's rare I actually have to show it anymore, though.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Nobody knows my SSN. It used to double as your DL # until about 15 years ago. Not required for our GWCL and is even optional on the 4473. I never give mine out. I’ve never suffered a personal breech of info yet most major credit agencies, and Hell, even the govt, is hacked all the time.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
I know how you feel, I actually neglected to renew my range permit when it expired last month because I just don't want to pay $30 to shoot at a range with dragonian rules like; "Magazine Capacity must be limited to 6 rounds" and "Use of shotshells is prohibited."

Honestly, the range is in the middle of a wooded area with a giant sand mound as a backstop, so WHY are shotshells prohibited? Also, last time I checked there were no regulations on handgun magazine capacity in the state, so why do I have to limit my magazine capacity to 6 rounds?

Yeah, I'm not going to hand over $30 and my SSN just to shoot on state land with ridiculous Fudd rules like that. In fact, that's unfair to Fudds because they don't have a problem with Shotguns.

I don't know if all ranges located on state gameland have rules like that, but that's how it is on the range I had been going to.
Dont blame ya. I have 1 outdoor and 1 indoor range near me. I prefer the indoor range b/c it’s closer and I buy most of my guns from them. Won’t pay a range membership as I don’t shoot that much. No limits on mag capacity or shotshells. When I bought my Shokwave 12G I broke it in at the indoor range. Only thing they don’t allow is steel cased ammo.

·
Super Moderator
36,438 Posts
I haven't done a public range since I moved from NJ. Used to be one at Turkey Swamp park. I now belong to a small club that is members only. It has a 25, 50, 100, and 150 yard. It cost me $30 to renew, and $5 for junior members so can take kids.
In the years I have been a member I've seen someone there maybe 4 or 5 times.

I may have to move over by you!

·
Super Moderator
36,438 Posts
Dont blame ya. I have 1 outdoor and 1 indoor range near me. I prefer the indoor range b/c it’s closer and I buy most of my guns from them. Won’t pay a range membership as I don’t shoot that much. No limits on mag capacity or shotshells. When I bought my Shokwave 12G I broke it in at the indoor range. Only thing they don’t allow is steel cased ammo.
I was at the newer Elgin ILLinois range last week. They sell a membership that is 350.00 annually for unlimited usage, with discounts and 4 guest passes per year. At 22.00 per hour regular it would pay off at 16 visits for the year. They do however off a 50% off on Mondays for Seniors and again on Thursday for veterans. At 11 bucks per hour all I have to do is be picky about the days I shoot.
As far as the 4473, I do add my SSN number...between my military record, ILLinois FOID, CCW, and fingerprints for the CCW here and in Utah, I figure that anyone in a Federal or state office could easily find me if they were so inclined.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts