Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody may have posted this question already, but which of those two gunsmithing shows do you prefer?

I enjoy both, With a slight Edge to American Guns since it has two hot chicks instead of one.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I enjoy both. Good to see you're back and posting. Hope you are feeling better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like both as they promote firearms and safety. This is good for our hobby.
It's fun as well. Both do good work in their own way.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
With the ridiculous projects (mega-flamethrowers etc), ridiculous reality show romance, ridiculous and contrived deadlines and build problems, who can't love Sons of Guns. The American Guns show is sort of a watered down copy with the owner jumping in his helicopter and buying rare guns from eccentric rich folks, it isn't bad but again, it is just a copy. They have gotten away from the cheesecake factor in the latest episodes; perhaps the owner of the shop was beginning to get embarrassed by his daughter and wife parading around in suggestive clothing. By the way, calling these shows "gunsmithing" shows is a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I enjoy the cast better on Sons of Guns but the gun work on American Guns is better. Now I do watch both shows for entertainment and find the top stars on American Guns pretty phony thought that is true of both shows really. Just the guy that heads up American Guns just strikes me as pure con and I'm not a fan of his by any stretch.

Now the gun show I do like is Triggers on the Military Channel as no BS straight up on the guns. I might add the guy that does most of the talking doesn't make himself out to be an expert on every gun and brings in people that are real experts on what ever weapon system they highlight. The history of each gun as well as those that predated them is also excellent added value to me as well. But then two of these shows are on Discovery Channel which is a different type of programing than the Military Channel is with different aims.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I enjoy the cast better on Sons of Guns but the gun work on American Guns is better. Now I do watch both shows for entertainment and find the top stars on American Guns pretty phony thought that is true of both shows really. Just the guy that heads up American Guns just strikes me as pure con and I'm not a fan of his by any stretch.

Now the gun show I do like is Triggers on the Military Channel as no BS straight up on the guns. I might add the guy that does most of the talking doesn't make himself out to be an expert on every gun and brings in people that are real experts on what ever weapon system they highlight. The history of each gun as well as those that predated them is also excellent added value to me as well. But then two of these shows are on Discovery Channel which is a different type of programing than the Military Channel is with different aims.
I agree , I'm not a fan of the direction Discovery & History have went with there concepts for these shows and some others in the last couple of years. I do watch both but I find Triggers much more informative. History used to have a series called "Tales of the Gun" that was to the point with out the drama.
Son's of Gun's & American Gun's should cut a little of the side show out and get into more technical aspect's of what there doing , as in showing more details of a build IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...should cut a little of the side show out and get into more technical aspect's of what there doing , as in showing more details of a build IMO.
They have both had some stuff building guns from scratch. They need some of the Hollywoood to keep the non-gun nut viewers. They have shown machining parts from bar stock, but even for a gun nut, a little of that goes a long way.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I like "American Guns" better than all the tacticool stuff they do on "Sons of Guns".

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Sons of Guns is not even real Will and his Daughter were striped of their FFL licenses in 09. One of the other gunsmiths ran it for awhile then he stepped down so now there is someone else behind the curtain that runs the company.

American Guns tend to get under my skin with the dad being way over the top. I hate his laugh and feel its really fake and all the pyrotechnics is a little over the top. I do like his sons skills at engraving and of course there is the Paige factor but she's really young to be flaunting on TV like they do.

Reactions: joecil

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Can't say I like either of them.
"Sons of Guns" builds stupid stuff and "American Guns" is phony from the ground up.

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
American guns without a doubt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I watch both, but just cause they are both showcasing guns in a positive light. I light watching Wednesday nights 'Midway' sponsored gun shows on the sports channel. They are sponsored by the likes of Crimson Trace and the NRA; informative without the drama in the other shows. I haven't seen Triggers yet, but would like to watch it...when is it on?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I watch both, but just cause they are both showcasing guns in a positive light. I light watching Wednesday nights 'Midway' sponsored gun shows on the sports channel. They are sponsored by the likes of Crimson Trace and the NRA; informative without the drama in the other shows. I haven't seen Triggers yet, but would like to watch it...when is it on?
It airs on Wednesday nights at 10PM. I record it and American guns as they come on the same time sometimes. The Military channel also seems to rerun then on Sundays also at least they a have so far. I missed the first show on 1911 and caught it in re-runs on a Sunday.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Glad to see you back BUTT! Both shows are entertaining, but I'll give the nod to scantilly clad women every time!

Reactions: sandman 11
1 - 20 of 26 Posts