Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They look at you with such pleading eyes and want picked up. :bang:

It will look good beside it's full size brother. Both in .45 Goodness! I already had a couple of .45 compact magazines. I had to find the pistol to fit them.

Have you ever bought a couple of magazines, and then had to buy the pistol to go with them?:D

Maloy

45 tan comp.jpg

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
I have one that I bought for carry after my PT 145 went back to Miami. Still haven't carried it as I never bought a holster...just got my Phalanx Universal holster and it fits great! I may have to tote it for a few days.

It shot low, 3-4" when I got it with the OEM fixed sights...I had to put an adjustable LPA rear sight on it.

·
Registered
19,534 Posts
Just don't replace the grips, change the trigger, or modify any springs.

(Witness tampering is a serious crime!)
Yep, yep, yep....:rolleyes:...no matter where ya' go, no matter what you're doin'...:doh:...there's always that one guy....:unsure:....better notify the duty section leaders...:mellow:...we might need to dedicate another watch.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've owned several going back even before the Witness but very similar like the TZ-75 from FIE and the TA 90 from Excam. The difference being the TA 90 had a slide mounted hammer drop safety. Geez I had a Titan or Titan II in .380 before those.

I still like Tanfoglios, and particularly the new poly-frame Pro models. It's way late in the ballgame, but Tanfoglio should have set up their own US Distibution many moons ago.

I have a bit of a problem buying a pistol when the US Distributor steals one of the 2 factory mags to sell individually at inflated prices. ;)

·
Registered
19,534 Posts
I'm still rather averse to semis but I've had my eye on these for quite awhile, one of only two non-milsurp semis on my wish list. This would be second, right after the Bond Bullpup.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
I had come across a great price on some Stoeger .40 Cougar magazines that I just couldn't seem to pass up. I finally broke down and bought a pistol for the magazines to fit. Truth be told, I was so impressed with the Cougar pistols that I now have a few of them, one of which came with 5 magazines to boot.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The only issue with the Tanfoglio Witness I have is the fact that word has gotten out about how good they are, so now their prices have increased to the point that they're roughly equal to a CZ75. :(

The least folks could have done was grossly exaggerate their faults, call them unreliable when they malfunction due to infrequent cleaning/lubrication, and denigrate Tanfoglio at every opportunity for the Witness being a derivative of a proven design by another company as though they're the only company who has ever done such a thing then hypocritically turn around to praise another company for "improving on" on of Tanfoglio's designs.
It has done wonders to keep the prices on Taurus brand firearms down, so why did everyone have to go giving the Witness so much praise?

·
Super Moderator
35,439 Posts
I had a pair of speed loaders I had to buy a revolver to match. Didn't much care which revolver, though, as it fit multiples. :D

I've still got several 1911 mags and no gun to use 'em in and I really don't care. :p

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
They look at you with such pleading eyes and want picked up. :bang:

It will look good beside it's full size brother. Both in .45 Goodness! I already had a couple of .45 compact magazines. I had to find the pistol to fit them.

Have you ever bought a couple of magazines, and then had to buy the pistol to go with them?:D

Maloy

View attachment 437755
I'm thinking I need a 9mm to keep my 45 and 380 Pavona company!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been a CZ fan before they were allowed in the US. I had a TZ and the only thing I hated was the safety location. When I got my very first CZ, I was hooked. It came here via Canada when an English friend moved here. I later sold it back to him when he returned to the US for good.

I have 4 CZ 75's with two being B models and one a Kadet. A P9 World Cup full race gun, a custom tactical, and one standard P9. 3 P-07's with one Kadet kit and now two Witness in .45 ACP.

The two P9's, one was done up by Les Baer and one of his first, and the World Cup is one of 200 using a different system from the later Tanfoglio race guns that he supervised.

I shoot them all well. I prefer the earlier slab side Witness to their later contoured slides. When I shot IPSC and IDPA, they became my favorite over the 1911's.

Maloy

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have LPA on one of my P9's and two sight sets I've not needed to use. I wish they made a set for the G2C and PT-111 G2. Depending on how it shoots I may need a set, but I doubt it. Look in the picture, this one has a very high rear sight.

Maloy

I have one that I bought for carry after my PT 145 went back to Miami. Still haven't carried it as I never bought a holster...just got my Phalanx Universal holster and it fits great! I may have to tote it for a few days.

It shot low, 3-4" when I got it with the OEM fixed sights...I had to put an adjustable LPA rear sight on it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've been a CZ fan before they were allowed in the US. I had a TZ and the only thing I hated was the safety location. When I got my very first CZ, I was hooked. It came here via Canada when an English friend moved here. I later sold it back to him when he returned to the US for good.

I have 4 CZ 75's with two being B models and one a Kadet. A P9 World Cup full race gun, a custom tactical, and one standard P9. 3 P-07's with one Kadet kit and now two Witness in .45 ACP.

The two P9's, one was done up by Les Baer and one of his first, and the World Cup is one of 200 using a different system from the later Tanfoglio race guns that he supervised.

I shoot them all well. I prefer the earlier slab side Witness to their later contoured slides. When I shot IPSC and IDPA, they became my favorite over the 1911's.

Maloy
Maybe the greatest thrill I've ever had at a Gunshow was when I saw my first CZ-75 (in viewing) for sale. Back when trade restrictions prevented their importation. Pretty serious sticker shock for sure.

Even though I don't currently have one in my collection, I'm a big fan just the same. If their 9mm throats weren't as short, I wouldn't have typed the preceding sentence. The only true reason I'm watching the situation with Turkey is to see how it effects us importing their renditions because if they're like like the TP9 series, they'll come with a longer throat in the barrel, while that is solely a handloading decision.

If I hadn't been handloading so long, or not at all, I would own the original! The Canik and Sarsilmas variants are, however, very nicely made with the only thing they over to me is the longer handloading option while my primary 9mm defense loads are 147 gr. JHPs, not subsonic, at 1.142"/29mm OACL. Not a flavor offered by the ammo-makers and shouldn't be with all of the short chambered 9mm pistols that have been throated appropriately for shorter ammunition.

CZ was short-throating before just about anyone else, and I always felt that that was the result of them making and selling CZ-75s in 9 x 21mm where other than the barrels, the only other change was the weight of the recoil spring. There must have been very few imported by Magnum Research back then because I haven't as much as seen one for sale at a gunshow! ;)

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
Any chance a machine shop could mill an existing chamber out?

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I'm afraid that I might have lied in another thread/post concerning the shooter/handloader that I've known longer than anyone else on the web. It was closer to 15 years ago than 20.

And way back then, throating was the best possible solution. Unfortunately in terms of real accuracy, I never saw any CZ-75 owner get their barrel reamed or do it themselves without the results being negative.

If that were not the case, I'd have bought a CZ 9mm as recent as yesterday. Not a 75 or even the SP-01. The first rumors in advance of the SP-01's release was about a lighter frame. Aluminum alloy or polymer. I was a bit shocked that the frame was only available in steel, but CZ was still feeling their way along at the time.

Fast forward to last evening; I saw an SP-01 Phantom for sale as Buds below $440. If I had an option other than Canik 55, all things considered, where I'm afraid we're headed for purgatory or worse. If I knew for a Nostradamus second that I will not be able to get a Canik or even a Sarsilmaz copy, I would have bought it yesterday, today or even tomorrow.

When it comes to balancing caliber to weight or recoil. I'll be sticking with the 9 x 19. If things get worse than what I've already reported in the "lounge." I'll add a Canik TP9sl. At least I know that they're made to NATO spec rather than SAAMI spec, whom is mostly responsible for the short chamber issue in the first place. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts