Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100680844

is it just me or does something just not look quite right about this pt92?

it should have a black finish for one.. the slide can be explained they say it's been nickled.. however the frame should still be black.. im thinking they've sanded off the anodizing down to raw aluminum.. and the levers is anyone's guess.. could be stripped or could be replacements.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'd be more inclined to think that the gun was stainless. If Taurus made nickel-plated guns, the frame would have been clear anodized. The serial numbers look too crisp to have been buffed hard enough to remove the color anodizing.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well something had to happen to it.. either that is not the original frame or it has been stripped, painted, something..

other wise it would be an AFS, im not aware of any duo tone with a black slide.

if you look at the last picture the trigger guard looks like it's been sanded to me.

overall color is kinda dingy.. aluminum oxidizes quickly but if it was clear anodized i'd expect it to be brighter.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Also, where are the slide and barrel SN's? Did Taurus change that? On my stainless 92 the SN's would be visible in pictures 3 and 4.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Wasn't the AF-D a de-cocker only variant? The frame looks current, with the de-cocker levers and cut-out. This may be an import of a non-standard in the US variant, like the PT32 was.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure about the SN's this is a older model then the one i have so im not sure about that.

@JR no the AF was the ambi safety, the AF-D had the decocker added so this is some where around 1991/92 at the earliest.

they then droped the -D and now it's just AF or AFS (stainless)

i did look up in blue book of gun values 28th edition and it said add 40bucks to "AF" models with statin nickel finish.. discontinued in 1994.. so im thinking this gun must be between 91-94 production.

that is if this was factory nickeled instead of after words.

unsure about the frame though.. i still think it's been stripped.. i tried putting the serial into taurususa website but it says no match.. i thought about calling and seeing what color the frame was when it left the factory.

the reason i think it's been stripped is it looks dull, like tarnished aluminum, aluminum does'nt keep it's shine for long and it also scratches easy without anodizing. notice by the trigger bar and trigger guard it has bright spots.. i believe it is bar aluminum.

the guy by his own words puts this at 80%, blue book says it's worth 210, or 250 if this is the factory nickeled.. but if that frames been stripped it's value is practically nothing.

EDIT: in tried taurus website again today i must have entered the serial in wrong last time or they had just added it. anyway it came back as 1991 production.

was gonna call them i just realized it's long distance, BAH! i figured they'ed have a 1800.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OFF TOPIC, but I entered my serial number in and I got nothing :(....I just bought the gun a couple months ago, and I also sent in the Warranty card a coulpe days after I bought it

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had one almost exactly like that back in 1997 or so. I got it used, it was Nickel plated, but didn't have the decocker. I believe they made nickel plated decocker 92s for a spell before they went stainless. Oh yeah, mine was a PT-99, not a 92.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts