Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something to consider before you buy PT1911
This is just my third post so I’ll say a little about me first. I’ve been an active law enforcement officer, still working, for over 30 years and currently a firearms instructor and Beretta Armorer. So I do have some experience. I say this first because some posters of other PT1911’s with the same complaints, this site and other forums, question the posters skill, i.e. trigger control, grip, recoil anticipation, ammo used etc. I’ve read all the comments about break in period, changing your site placement etc. I am posting this for the individual considering the purchase of this gun. I’ve owned this PT1911DT for just four days and have already discovered some obvious problems. I guess my dissatisfaction is partly my fault because if I had researched this gun more before experiencing these problems I probably wouldn’t have purchased this gun. The two main issues I have with this gun are:
(1) These guns obviously have a tendency to shoot low and left of point of aim shooting with the six o’clock aim. I experienced this on my first trip to the range with it. I shot consistent tight groups at seven o’clock. It was so far off I was shocked. A Google search will turn up numerous complaints with the same low and left shot placement as I’ve experienced.
(2) Unlike other 1911’s, the Taurus PT1911 does not have available after market elevation adjustable sights, or factory elevation adjustable sights. The Novak sights that come with this gun are made by Taurus and the dove tail slots are unlike other 1911’s orNOVAKS for other 1911’s for that matter.
I’ll do what it takes to get it right, but I shouldn’t have to be bothered with the issues in the first place. The options are to file down the front site,or try and locate a shorter front site, or have a gun smith alter the rear of the slide dove tail to accommodate an adjustable sight. As for shooting left, the sights are adjustable within the front and rear dovetail mounts. Or I could just send it back to the factory, although after all the post about customer service I’ve read makes me think I will be further dissatisfied. I dont want to come off as bad mouthing Taurus, I bought the gun new because of expecting a quality gun. If anyone has any information where I can get a elevation adjustable rear please let me know.
Edit: update here’s a link on this site of PT1911 owners with the same complaint that this gun has a tendency to shoot low. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911s/58152-my-pt-1911-shoots-low.html. As for shooting left I fixed that issue with adjusting the rear sight for windage. Concerning a rear elevation adjustable sight that I was unable to locate for the PT1911, I talked with Novak and was told they have them. Here’sa link on this site concerning a member who bought one and installed it. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911s/48384-novak-adjustable-rear-sight.html

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
First off welcome to the site.

From your post above it would appear that you have some past firearm knowledge. However, in another post you made the comment that this is also the first 1911 pistol that you have owned. From what I have found the 1911 takes a little getting used to. There is a need to spend time with the 1911 before it can be appreciated if you are used to a different style of pistol. I used to dislike the 1911, yet owned many different models and manufactures offerings. Now after all these years I have chosen to make an effort to see what all the hype of the 1911 is all about. I like you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the pistol in the beginning. It wasn't until I purchased my Colt Defender that I began to appreciate the 1911 style. There was something about that Defender that found my soft spot, felt right, and I could drive nails with it one shot after another. So I went back to my PT1911 and gave it my undivided attention, I spent time with it, getting to know it, held it, felt it, to where it felt natural. Then we went back to the range together and it was perfect for me. I have since owned a few other brands as well as fired those of my son (who goes big dollar gun) and while each may have it's own personality, it is nothing more than adjusting my ability to each manufactures 1911 before all is right.

All I am saying is, maybe if you spend a little more time trying to learn your PT1911 and less time getting frustrated with it, you may find it is a pretty good to great pistol. Sometimes you need to simply walk away from it and come back later.

And being a new pistol, if you are fed up with it and are looking to correct what you deem is wrong with the pistol or build design, call Taurus and take advantage of the Lifetime Warranty before you or anyone else starts grinding or hacking away at it. Once you alter any metal parts you do risk loosing the warranty.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I am sorry to hear you are having that issue. Mine is very point and click, It hits right where I am aiming POI directly from the box and goes band every times.

I think if you want adjustable sights (I know for sure you can get fixed, and am fairly sure you can get adjustable) you can get them directly from Novaks with the Taurus cut. I think others on here have them on theirs.

Good luck with everything.

Reactions: Steyr and Denton

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is very point and click, It hits right where I am aiming POI directly from the box and goes band every times.
Both of mine do too. Very accurate and very reliable right out of the chute. No sight adjustment necessary. Fine pistols in my opinion.

I did change the barrel out on one of mine, but it was not because of accuracy, I just wanted a threaded barrel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright maybe I was just being frustrated after buying a new gun and experiencing the problems I had. I had only done internet searches for adjustable sights but after your post I telephoned NOVAK at (304) 428-2676 and talked to customer service and was told they do sell adjustable sights for the PT1911. I'll follow-up with them and I'll update my results.
I am sorry to hear you are having that issue. Mine is very point and click, It hits right where I am aiming POI directly from the box and goes band every times.

I think if you want adjustable sights (I know for sure you can get fixed, and am fairly sure you can get adjustable) you can get them directly from Novaks with the Taurus cut. I think others on here have them on theirs.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Are you sure you aren't just too used to a DA/SA trigger like a Beretta 92? I have seen a lot of people tug too hard on 1911 triggers because they aren't used to the minimum of trigger travel and near glass rod snap of the final release.
Ditto. I was one of them, only mine shot low and right. I'm left handed. After a little bit of work on my grip and trigger technique the POI miraculously move right onto the POA! I have this trouble with most new guns. If they have adjustable sights I just adjust them to point of aim and move on. If they have combat sights then I work on me and my trigger skills. Don't feel bad if you're not perfect with all guns, it's natural. I've been shooting for 50+ years and I still have to relearn sometimes! I've got more than 10,000 rounds down the barrel of my PT1911AL now. It's my favorite pistol. Give it a chance and don't get frustrated, in the long run you'll be very glad you did!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't want to repost what has already been posted as it is all pertinent and good advice.
The biggest problem I had was with the "easy" trigger coming from a Berretta and other military weapons. Once I learned the trigger and how to properly use my sights, (I have the Hienne straight eights which is a POI/POA sight rather than a 6 o'clock hold sight. Another thing to consider when moving from Polymer to metal firearms is that the recoil at least to me is greatly reduced and it could be a problem of anticipation. Dry fire excersises greatly helped this at least for me and I can now hit solid groups at 25 with no problems at all. Maybe some of this will help, maybe it wont either way, you do have a quality firearm, no doubt about that.

Reactions: Steyr

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
The very "first" question I ask anyone who compains about a handgun "shooting low, left" is...

Does it do this when other experienced shooters fire the gun?

If 2 or 3 experienced shooters are all getting shot placement "low, left", then it's time to address mechanical sight adjustments.

If not, it may be pilot error.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I don't know what it is with 1911 manufacturers these days, but a lot of them seem to be setting up their sights so the strike of the round occurs in the center of the dot rather than on top of and in the center of the blade. My Para GI Expert was the same way. Bugged me no end. My solution was simple - change out the front sight. Use the formula "needed change in inches X sight radius ÷ range in inches (900 for 25 yards) = needed change in sight height." Measure your front sight with a caliper, and subtract the "needed change in sight height" to give you an overall height. I recommend 25 yards for the computations, and use of your carry ammo (or range ammo for a range gun) as there will be some differences in elevation between bullets of different weights so I set them up for what I shoot the most.

Wilson Combat sells plain black, white dot, fiber optic, and tritium front sights for 1911's in a bunch of different heights. And there's nothing special about the PT1911's dovetails - they're pretty standard. IIRC the front is 60 degrees by .300 and the rear is 60 degrees by .330. That's going from memory though, so don't quote me. I've used both Wilson's and HiViz for Taurus 1911's on the front of my PT145 and the dovetails are the same size.

As far as left/right is concerned - I've probably owned somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty hand guns in my time, and I can count on one hand the one's that had the sights properly setup from the factory. If you're doing your part (which you can usually tell by the group size and shape) you might drift the rear to the right a bit to solve that issue. And the same formula for elevation works for windage as well, so a little math beforehand will reveal exactly how far the sight needs to be moved.

Also, if you install a Novak rear, you may need to take the pistol to a gunsmith to have the Novak cut done depending on the sight. JAT

Novak cut -

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Congratulations on your new 1911 and to the brotherhood of one of the greatest guns made. Now the But its also one gun that takes some getting used to especially if you are used to the Beretta's DA/SA mode. Or any type of trigger pull other then a 1911. Say Glock or XD. If you had learned on a Browning Hi Power or CZ SA then I doubt we would be having this conversation. I was lucky after a few years with my dads service Colt 38, Yes its been that long ago I was handed my first 1911. And it was an amazing weapon. I have since owned several and now own a Taurus PT1911.

I got mine in the first few years of production, which had some bad mags shipped with it but that was a quick fix and now its a tack driver. I also have the straight eights which did take a little getting used to but with bad eye sight it actually shoots vary well. The trigger on a 1911 is something that needs to get used to and the grip between the Beretta and 1911 is so different. I would after you get your sights set up the way you want take it out and shoot it. And I mean about 500 rounds to start. Good luck and give us a update your gun is not garbage. At least I hope not. But most of the bugs have been worked out of the Taurus 1911 a few years ago. We get vary few complaints about them here and much praise with guys owning multiple versions of the gun. They, the 1911 are approved for our local police force to use. and a few older LEO have them as their primary carry weapon. As well as are SWAT team. Well I'm rambling so I hope yours turns out to be one of your favorites along with the rest of us. :)

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, and thank you for your service in law enforcement!

Your insights on handguns and ammo will be most beneficial to our forum.

I had never shot or owned a 1911 pistol until I bought my PT1911AL; and I must admit this type pistol has a feel and a "character" all it's own...and I definitely had to familiarize myself with it's own unique way of handling and shooting.

But, after this initial "get acquainted" period, I have become very proficient with the gun and it is one of my most prized possessions.

Good luck with yours!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My guess here is that this guy is very unlikely to be experiencing shooter-induced errors. He's got lots of trigger time and probably shoots lots of different guns, and his fundamentals are probably right for everything that fits his paw.

I say he's got a dud - and my instinct is that it's either a sights-alignment problem (drifting the front sight to center, plus a slight POA adjustment) or he's got a bum barrel or barrel bushing. Maybe check the crown?!?

OP, if other experienced shooters are hitting low/left with the PT1911, send 'er back to Taurus for a Miami Vacation, before you change sights on the gun. When I had my 1911, it shot tiny, tiny groups just a tiny fraction low (that is me, not the gun).

·
Registered
311 Posts
(1) These guns obviously have a tendency to shoot low and left of point of aim shooting with the six o’clock aim. I experienced this on my first trip to the range with it. I shot consistent tight groups at seven o’clock. It was so far off I was shocked. A Google search will turn up numerous complaints with the same low and left shot placement as I’ve experienced.
I think your firearms experience may have gotten the better of you here. It may have caused you to skip a quick perusal of your PT1911's Owner's Manual, because, had you done that, you would have found that Taurus has regulated the sights on this pistol, as with most of their autopistols, for "dead-on" hold, rather than the usual 6 o'clock. Aiming "Dead-on" sights at 6 o'clock POA will result in a 6 o'clock POI. Now all you have to fix is that left of POA issue. And while I have nothing near your experience, training, or expertise, I know that for a long time I used too much finger on the short trigger of my PT1911.

·
Registered
518 Posts
when i got mine, right after Taurus released the PT 1911, I was amazed at how accurate it was . would spank my boy regularly with his Glock 19. installed night sights, shoots just as accurate. 5,000 rounds later , she still shoots great.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think your firearms experience may have gotten the better of you here. It may have caused you to skip a quick perusal of your PT1911's Owner's Manual, because, had you done that, you would have found that Taurus has regulated the sights on this pistol, as with most of their autopistols, for "dead-on" hold, rather than the usual 6 o'clock. Aiming "Dead-on" sights at 6 o'clock POA will result in a 6 o'clock POI. Now all you have to fix is that left of POA issue. And while I have nothing near your experience, training, or expertise, I know that for a long time I used too much finger on the short trigger of my PT1911.
Thank all of you for your comments and good advice; your positive comments have made me feel a lot better about the gun now. I am looking forward to shooting it again. Pastor you are right, and I am a bit ashamed that I only breezed through the owner’s manual. I mainly read over ammunition recommendations and trying to find out about the sights adjustment. When I realized I was shooting left of center I noticed that when viewing the rear sight it was obviously off center to the left. When I loosened the rear site set screw and moved the sight to the right it wouldn’t stay tight when I fired the gun as the screw head was getting stripped and I couldn’t tighten it further. It would loosen up after firing and move about. But while it was still tight for those first few rounds at center, it still shot to the left, but not as bad. As for dead on hold and not at six, I guess that could solve the low shots. I’ll have to get another set screw and reset the rear sight and try the dead on sight alignment.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Personally I don't like sights that rely on a set screw to stay put. You almost always have to loctite them or they'll back out, and they tend to kick the sights up at an angle. I usually shim mine with a piece of feeler gauge to achieve a friction fit - at which point the set screw becomes superfluous. Usually the .004" blade is sufficient, and you can cut it with a pair of scissors. Just cut a piece so that it just slides into the bottom of the dovetail. You'll know when you've got the thickness right when you can insert the sight about 1/3rd of the way into the dovetail. Then drive it in the rest of the way with a small hammer and a brass or aluminum drift hitting the sight tenon, or very low on a rear sight. Tap, don't hammer, and a little oil helps things go easier. Here's a pic of my PT145 rear sight, and if you look close you can see the end of the shim under the sight. JAT

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My PT1911 duo-tone was a good 6" low at 25 yards. I first solved the problem by filing the rear site dovetail to allow the sight to move up, thus raising the POA. It uses a set screw to hold it. It worked pretty good and got me only a 1" or so low at 25 yards.

These pictures will help show what I mean, notice the gap between the sight and slide.

I bought my 1911 as a project 1911, I have done many things to it and plan on installing a match barrel this winter. So to practice fitting a barrel I went to work on the factory barrel. It was horribly fitted and lacked a good 1/32" of going up into the slide all the way, bushing was very loose and only one foot was hitting the slide stop. After re-fitting the barrel and a cheap GI bushing, my groups were now 6"-7" high. I traded for some stock sights and now the gun shoot pretty dead on. If I had not planned a total rebuild I would have sent it back to Taurus.
One of the most amazing parts was how well the gun grouped with such a poorly fitted barrel. I remember shooting some sub 2" 25 yard groups!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'm going to borrow one of Stallard's pics to make a point. Take a close look at the bottom of the sight, and you'll see what I mean about set screws kicking the sight up at an angle. Fill the gap at the bottom with a properly fitted shim, and it will make the sight sit level which will bring the back up a bit in this instance. That will also bring the POI up a little as well. Not much - but a little.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts