Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing some ads about the new 450 Bushmaster round nicked named the "Thumper". Now I actually like the round, the weapon it is used in and nearly everything except the advertising gimmick.

It is nicked named the "Thumper" after a mythical cartridge/weapon that Col. Cooper envisioned years ago and wrote about in one of his articles, which is all well and good. The problem is that Bushmaster portrays in their ad like Col. Cooper endorsed this cartridge as the one he wrote about, which is just BS. I doubt Jeff would ever have approved of this type of ad and I can't believe any of his immediate family would either.

It offends me what some outfits will try after someone is gone just to make a buck $$$ in thier name...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Have you thought to dig back in some magazines to see when they started using the Thumper name? I'm wondering if they started it after he left this world or as soon as it was released?

Steelheart

·
32,616 Posts
One of the gun rags claims that Cooper and family have blessed the project at one time or another. Recently too. Considering the trouble Bushmaster would incur on itself, it would be disasterous to say so and know the family and the estate holders are watching.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see the ad until after his passing and I know how he was against sacrificing personal values to make a buck. If you know anything about the history of Gunsite you that after he originally sold it, he became very upset and vocal how it was being mis run and no longer held the high standards and values that he started it with. Jeff did not endorse Gunsite for many years until a friend of his bought Gunsite not all that long ago and started running it again to Jeffs original high standards.

I wouldn't put it past some of the family to say he endorsed it for a $$buck$$, but I will never believe Jeff did while he was breathing... The 450 Bushmaster is a nice cartridge, but it does not do the magic that Jeff dreamed of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts