Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest stopped by, and wanted to borrow my M66 for a trip with his fiance to Wyoming. When I took it out of the safe, I noticed this white funk leeching out between the barrel and the frame. I didn't snap a pic, however, it wiped off with a rag pretty easy. To best describe it, it was white powdery substance, not a rust brown, and felt like the lime scale I occasionally get on my faucets from the well water. My oldest said it looked like dried lithium grease, as his AR barrel nut was leeching something similar for the first few hundred rounds. I shot 50 rounds after I got it last month, cleaned it, and it's been in the safe ever since. I did get it warm doing a 21 round speed test. I put some oil on it before he left, and will check it again when he gets back next month.

Is this normal on a new revolver, or do I need to plan on calling Taurus CS when he gets back?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am not sure that Taurus CS will be able to help you. Obviously the substance seeping out is something that was introduced to the gun after its initial cleaning and lubricationg. There is nothing in the Taurus gun that would leach out. Even if it were not cleaned on receipt the oils used by Taurus would not turn white.

Did you ever apply a teflon spray to the gun? If so, it might be residue from that.b
Do you use oil or grease? Grease has emulsified soaps added to the mineral or vegetable oil used to make it. If the oil dried out it could leave a residue of the emulsified soap.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My oldest stopped by, and wanted to borrow my M66 for a trip with his fiance to Wyoming. When I took it out of the safe, I noticed this white funk leeching out between the barrel and the frame. I didn't snap a pic, however, it wiped off with a rag pretty easy. To best describe it, it was white powdery substance, not a rust brown, and felt like the lime scale I occasionally get on my faucets from the well water. My oldest said it looked like dried lithium grease, as his AR barrel nut was leeching something similar for the first few hundred rounds. I shot 50 rounds after I got it last month, cleaned it, and it's been in the safe ever since. I did get it warm doing a 21 round speed test. I put some oil on it before he left, and will check it again when he gets back next month.

Is this normal on a new revolver, or do I need to plan on calling Taurus CS when he gets back?
Obviously, the white powdery substance was an attempt at hiding.... teenager told me just the other day, they knew someone who hid ‘stuff’ in deodorant sticks... so.... ummm .... never mind... back to your regular scheduled help.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, no Teflon or grease, just Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. I'm not sure what the shop would have used , so thinking that may be a possibility. It just seemed odd it was just in the one spot, and all the way around where the barrel meets the frame. I told the oldest if it came back, try to get me a good pic or two.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I'm stumped, and that usually doesn't happen.................
Unless Taurus chased the barrel in with some type of lubricant?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Beats me OP. I would just keep shooting and cleaning it, and eventually it won't leak anymore?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm stumped, and that usually doesn't happen.................
Unless Taurus chased the barrel in with some type of lubricant?
This was my initial thought, that maybe it was some sort of assembly lube or maybe excess threadlocker that hadn't cured, as this was a new pistol. It just struck me as one of those, "that ain't right" moments.

Oldest now wants one, or possibly a 608. He put 60 through it last night at his range, and fell in love.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds a lot like what happens when the bluing salts aren't completely neutralized and washed out after finishing. This is more common than you'd expect with revolvers and rifles...basically anything with the barrel threaded into the frame. The salts get trapped in the threads and will continue to leech out.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
J-B Weld?

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
That sounds a lot like what happens when the bluing salts aren't completely neutralized and washed out after finishing. This is more common than you'd expect with revolvers and rifles...basically anything with the barrel threaded into the frame. The salts get trapped in the threads and will continue to leech out.
That's what I'd think it is.

Maloy

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Take the grips off and stick it in a 150 degree oven for an hour.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts