Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last few days overflights of Osprey aircraft have increased from like once a week to twice a day.
All seem to be headed to Wilmington, NC.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not those kind of Osprey! LOL!
The kind with propellers.
Also they are now flying at treetop level, or "under the radar".
I can look up and see the pilots as they go overhead.
I would say less than 300 feet above ground.

Will start to worry when black helicopters start flying over.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We had them flying over my neck of the woods last summer twice a day for a couple of weeks. I've got a buddy who is an aircraft mechanic, he said they were doing some specific altitude testing. Don't know what's going on in the Carolinas, but it probably doesn't have a lot to do with high altitude terrain. Get the camo nets out!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my camera set for video record, so if they do it again tomorrow, I'll run out front and record a video.
I can hear them about 5 to 10 seconds before they fly over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thats wierd but the sounds has to be loud as heck..lol.. and yeah if the black choppers starts flying over head i would be worried...:eek:

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My son is an Air Force air traffic controller at SMJ AFB in Goldsboro NC. Talked to him Sunday. Seemed to be business as usual, but then if there is something going on he wouldn't be able to tell anyone.

·
Super Moderator
13,778 Posts
Air Force spec ops trains in the Ospreys out of Kirtland AFB here in Albuquerque. The sound from tilt rotors is not as pronounced a regular helicopters. It's a bit more muffled with a faster blade count, very distinctive. It would be interesting to know if what you're seeing is Marine or AF. If they're AF, they're spec ops.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now they're flying over at night!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I live next to fort campbell and they fly around here all of the time. Training takes air crews all over the country. As long as they are not hunting you i would not worry about them, you may never know if it for a spec ops mission, but be happy they are there training because they are training to defend us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts