Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that my Dad first taught me when I was about 12 or so. It’s something that I try to teach any new shooters I work with after they have been shooting at the range with me for a few months or so. Sometimes I hold off longer for people who take longer to get the basics down, you know how it is with some people, anyway.

Now that my wife is pretty proficient at the range I have starting teaching her a few ways to shoot in a defensive situation where the attacker is going to be on the move. We are not actually shooting a moving target but what I do is send out 3 full size targets about 12-14 yards and have her stand in the middle stall so there is a target directly in front of her and one to the left and one to the right. I have her standing at a ready position with the weapon aimed down range pointing about 3 feet in front of her on the ground. I then yell out either right, left, or middle and she has to immediately take aim and fire off 2 rounds center mass. I then have her take aim at center mass on the middle target and I yell left or right and she again has to immediately fire 2 rounds center mass on the side I yell out. The last range trip we were doing this and I decided to send out the 3 targets and have my buddy stand in the stall to her left and I was on her right. This time she would have her take aim on the first target we decided to start bringing one of the two in and she had to hit 2 center mass before the target moved 2 yards, I figured the 2 yards because of the speed of the target holder’s verses the speed a human could get to her from 20 feet away.

I know this is not yet any real life scenarios but I wanted to get others opinion on this type of training I do with some beginners to the shooting world. Do you think I’m wasting my time? Do you do anything like this with others you are trying to help advance there shooting skills?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds reasonable. First and foremost let me state that some ranges look down upon shooting across lanes, so I presume this is an outdoor range? But, assuming it isn't looked down upon where you shoot, let me make some comments. First off. I think this is a valuable learning tool, because it meshes the mind with the mechanics of shooting. In other words, it's one thing to shoot at a stationary, set target. It's another thing altogether to have to think about what you are shooting at, and make a conscious decision as to where to shoot.

Without having been in a real life threatening situation, I can only presume that the heart will be racing 100 MPH and your hands will be shaking, and it'll be hard to make that quick decision necessary for survival. Even a millisecond of hesitation could result in injury or death to you or a loved-one. So, any training that focuses the trainee on how to make these decisions quickly, has to be a good thing.

Perhaps the next thing to focus on is the act of moving while firing. If you have an outdoors range, set up some targets and some barriers and have the wife (and you) use those barriers as potential safe zones. Learn how to shoot from behind them, either one handed or two handed, but in a position that gives the BG the smallest target possible. Teach her to shoot from prone positions, kneeling, or laying on the ground.

Once you have managed that, move on to real life scenarios, using air-soft pistols. Companies are making these now in forms that very closely resemble real handguns, and they are safe to shoot at each other. Just make sure you don't confuse the two!!! Set up some BG scenarios and make sure to wager something useful on it. If not, it'll just be playing and not actual training. Wager a night on the town, sex, or watever you and your wife want to work out, but make it count for something.

Anything that moves your wife beyond just point and shoot is good training. It sounds like you are really taking the time to teach your wife good defensive shooting. Good work!

Todd

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1 to both of you.

I've had a number of years experience with Airsoft, and I also believe that it can be a valuable force on force training tool. As BoneDigger mentioned they replicas, so make take every caution not to confuse them. Considering you'd be shooting each other with the airsoft weapons, there are plenty of unique safety issues to address:

Airsoft bbs will hurt. I have a couple scars from where I was hit close range on exposed flesh.
For eye / face protection, paintball masks will work and is universally recommended. If that seems to bulky, I've been to a number of events where ANSI 87-Z rated wrap around shooting glasses were allow. But again, you probably don't want to catch a hot one to the mouth.

If you have any other questions about airsoft, feel free to PM me and I'll let you know, or at least point you in the right direction.

·
32,653 Posts
How about taking the little lady to a local IDPA match and have her watch or shoot one?

Clubs and shooters are all very enthusiastic in introducing new shooters to the sport.They will make new shooter feel at ease and immerse them slowly into it in a relaxed atmosphere. Someone will shepherd her through the basics.
There are even beginner classes at most ranges.

One has to make the decision which targets need to be neutralized first and what threat they pose. This while under stress, but a good form of it. There are even bobbing and some steel targets to hit. Bobbing targets simulate criminals that won't stand still.

She whould not worry about being competitive the first year. One takes away from IDPA what they want to. Competition can come later when she has become more proficient. Or she can do it for fun.

There are more women joining the shooting ranks than ever before and the wife would be at home with them while having an outing with you. Possible? Could be? :) Ask her to see a match and talk to the members there. Might surprise herself and you. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts