Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have experience with them, are they really brighter than red lasers? Is red or green better for either day or night?

I have a dollar store red laser that I can see hitting stuff hundreds of yards down the road at night. At SD ranges it's good indoors in the daytime and barely visible outdoors in daytime.

Is green laser the cure for the nation's ills? NA Star has one with a lifetime warranty for $80. eBay has a red with mounts for $3.95 + shipping.

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I think they are trying to get more money out of us!! But your right, my cheapy red, is hard to see daytime, after about 10 yard, shorter if it is very bright out.

My more expensive red, is OK day or nite out to about 15 yards in the sun.

I have seen the new prices for the green and the ranges that they are supposed to work at, but, everyone I hear from says most of that the ranges are BS unless the light conditions are ideal, though the green is supposed to be a little better.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
JimL said:
NA Star has one with a lifetime warranty for $80. eBay has a red with mounts for $3.95 + shipping.

JimL
linky's plx!

ya i have a red laser pointer.. i can see it for at least 200 yards, it was probably more like 3 at night.

I DO believe the green are easier to see in the day.. also although this is a minor issue.. they do use more power then red lasers so you wont get as much out of your batteries.. probably not a big deal for most people.

personally i have a feeling lasers are all hollywood more then anything, but there is the intimidation factor.. i've heard of suspects surrendering to officers just by having the laser on.

still.. if i coudl find one cheaply i might try it.. the ones that replace teh guide rod on the 92/99 are uber sweet looking but extremely expensive.. i'd almost spend as much as the gun cost me.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
watch out for the ones that clip on the trigger guard, i've never used them but have heard of them scratching the finish up and go out of alignment easily.

i might try an accessory rail one, although im thinking of a tactical light maybe.
i know you can sometimes stack them but they can get pretty unwieldy

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I actually put one on my PT111, and it held fine, and made no marks. They come with a bunch of soft inserts to avoid marring the attachment point. If you do not use the right ones, so the bracket rests on the guard it could damage it.

I also put a rifle laser, on the barrel of my Judge to see how I was shooting compared to just the open sights. It worked pretty good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robby said:
I also put a rifle laser, on the barrel of my Judge to see how I was shooting compared to just the open sights. It worked pretty good.
The cheapie above has both rifle and rail mounts.

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Yeah it is cheap all right, and it is also, for one of those guns that shoot the little plastic pellets, or some paint ball guns. Might work on your squirt gun!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robby said:
Yeah it is cheap all right, and it is also, for one of those guns that shoot the little plastic pellets, or some paint ball guns. Might work on your squirt gun!!
I mount a dollar store LED flashlight on my .45 with a paint ball gun mount. So far it hasn't come loose. (Of course I haven't actually fired it with that setup installed. :D )

And don't get smart about my squirt gun. It makes an excellent fire extinguisher for nano houses. :)

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I at least spent $16.00 and got one made for a real gun!! :shooter:

He wanted at least 20, but a start at $16, so I bid .50 cents over his minimum, and no one else bid so I got it for the $16.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robby said:
I at least spent $16.00
Brag, brag, brag. All you ever do is BRAG!! :D

JimL

BTW, ever hear about the broadway show with a song, "Hey Big Spender?" :p

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i did'nt see where it said it was accessory rail mountable.. it looks the only mount that comes with it would fit a barrel.. carbine/rifle, or possibly some revolvers.

the green laser has very few details, but the mount looks nicer.

neither of them seem to have any alignment adjustments.. so i guess you stick it on and thats that.. probably not very good accuracy wise, more flash then anything.

to be honest im half tempted to buy the one on ebay.. if it does'nt work out could always use it to play with the cats.. my last pointers batteries went dead, never got new ones.

only thing is i hate buying stuff from overseas, its' in Hong Kong.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Actually most of them have a small allen wrench, and two very small lateral and up and down adjustments. At least the two I have do.
Yeah the non dedicated ones, Trigger guard mount, or barrel mount. Not bad for me, as I have no rail on anything I own.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
joe sixpack said:
neither of them seem to have any alignment adjustments..
The NA Star is adjustable for sure. The bezel screws off and reveal allens for both windage and elevation.

JimL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts