Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called Rossi this morning at around 9 am and got right thru - didn't have to wait in the phone cue - and I asked them about the difference between the Rossi new R98 and the Taurus model 94 and Tracker 900 series 22 lr revolvers. Apparently the Rossi fits in between the two Taurus models weight and size wise. It does take an after market grip that would fit a Taurus Tracker, and it does have internal coil springs, like the Tauri do. While the CS person didn't know anything about a 6" model, he did tell me that they were contemplating making a 2", 4" and 6" version and that the 6" version that I saw out there on the net might be a "special run" for one particular distributor or something. He did confirm the hi viz front sight and told me that the rear sight is thick. Hope this helps ya'll and here is a link to some Hogue grips that I know a lot of the Taurus tracker owners use. Good luck and happy shooting - let the rest of us know if/when ya'll get a new one of these - I will do the same!:rolleyes:

Reactions: force

·
33,639 Posts
Thanks for the post. Informative to say the least.

Taurus IS making all of Rossi's guns at their plant now so it does not surprise me that coil springs are used as those are durable.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about a new .22 as well. I might wait around and see if I can look at a Rossi as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered the 6" Rossi R98 last week and it will be in tomorrow!!! Funny that you should post the info of the Hogue grips for the tracker fitting the rossi! I was at Bass Pro yesterday and seen the hogue tracker grips and bought them hoping they would fit!! Will post pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the 6" Rossi R98 last week and it will be in tomorrow!!! Funny that you should post the info of the Hogue grips for the tracker fitting the rossi! I was at Bass Pro yesterday and seen the hogue tracker grips and bought them hoping they would fit!! Will post pics tomorrow!
Welcome from Maryland, mykdee - can't wait to see a picture and hear about your range time!!:rolleyes:

·
33,639 Posts
Here you go! Just picked it up, very happy with overall fit and finish! Will take it out this sunday and run a couple hundred rounds through her!! Will post more pics later.
Thanks for posting. I like the looks of that! Congrats.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhh- I want one! It's a beauty with that hi viz sight sitten' there all nice and bright a read and, well visible!!!! The very minute you get home from the range on Sunday ya' gotta write and tell us all how it is! Then you can clean your new 98 and the honey-do chores!! Congrats on getting the new addition to your stable!!!:)

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any verification the Hogue 73000 will fit the R98?
When I talked with Rossi/Taurus CS they did indeed say that any grip that fit a Taurus Tracker will fit the R98!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Excellent, thank you for your response!

This is my first revolver (into poly's and 1911s) and thus, new to the Taurus/Rossi world. That said, excluding the Hogue 73000, are there any other grips I should be cognizant of, which fit the Tracker?

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some more info on the new 98....
My wife picked up a 4" Plinker this weekend as we couldnt find a sp101 chambered in 22.
Long story short... the gun woudnt cock. I thought it was locked but it wasnt. After opening and closing the wheel a few times I noticed the
release button was getting caught up and wouldnt retract... cleaned it good and got it to semi work. However, things got worse with ammo in it. Big time cycling problem. Its going back to the mother ship.
I own, and have owned many Taurus revolvers and never had a problem with them until this one. Lock up is sloppy, release gets caught up, cycling problems. Should have held out for the sp101.

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
Nice. If it's only half as accurate as my old stainless 511 Sportsman, it'll be a tack driver. :D

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some more info on the new 98....
My wife picked up a 4" Plinker this weekend as we couldnt find a sp101 chambered in 22.
Long story short... the gun woudnt cock. I thought it was locked but it wasnt. After opening and closing the wheel a few times I noticed the
release button was getting caught up and wouldnt retract... cleaned it good and got it to semi work. However, things got worse with ammo in it. Big time cycling problem. Its going back to the mother ship.
I own, and have owned many Taurus revolvers and never had a problem with them until this one. Lock up is sloppy, release gets caught up, cycling problems. Should have held out for the sp101.
RW - not to worry, my 5" Taurus M94 went back to Florida 3 times, each time for something else, but it is an incredible gun now that it has been custom "tuned" and I have every confidence in the world in those Tech Service guys in Florida - wish they could build the guns from scratch down there. they certainly stand by their products. Just make sure that when you get it back you shoot the heck out of it to make sure all is OK.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very nice piece. I like the ribbed barrel ( I think that's what they call it)
What do you think of the hammer and trigger spring ?
Bill W.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.