Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked mine up today and I am initially very impressed for the price. One thing I noticed right out of the box is mine smells like Hoppes no. 9, thought it was kind of odd for a new gun to come smelling like that I so I field stripped it. iT is nice and clean with no grease in it. The slide rails have wear marks on them like it has had more then just a few rounds through it and on the frame just below the feed ramp there is a little wear. The gun is labeled as new but I am beginning to question how new.

The one question I do have is did your G2 have a spent shell casing in the box? Mine didn't, it's the first gun I have ever purchased that did not have a spent case in the box. Been just about a year since I've bought a new gun. Is this something new? I'm curious as to who's did or didn't come with one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I picked mine up today and I am initially very impressed for the price. One thing I noticed right out of the box is mine smells like Hoppes no. 9, thought it was kind of odd for a new gun to come smelling like that I so I field stripped it. iT is nice and clean with no grease in it. The slide rails have wear marks on them like it has had more then just a few rounds through it and on the frame just below the feed ramp there is a little wear. The gun is labeled as new but I am beginning to question how new.

The one question I do have is did your G2 have a spent shell casing in the box? Mine didn't, it's the first gun I have ever purchased that did not have a spent case in the box. Been just about a year since I've bought a new gun. Is this something new? I'm curious as to who's did or didn't come with one.
I purchased 2 PT111 G2 as well as a TCP and none came with a spent casing. Not every manufacturer ships their firearms with spent casing, and I believe taurus is one of them. Actually, out of the Rugers, Sigs, Kel Tecs, S&Ws, Tauruses, and XDs I purchased in the past, the only guns that came with a spent casing were the Springfield XDs...

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Congrats on the PT111 G2! I bought about 10 Taurus pistols all NIB and none came with a spent casing. My Rugers each did come with a spent casing.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
At the South Dakota event, I was told by one of the Taurus Rep's
that they were changing over to the orange box with the nice grey bags
and that the guns would no longer be packed with 5 pounds of grease
and that before they left Taurus they would be cleaned and be ready to shoot "out of the box".........
Would still clean them before shooting though.........;)

Reactions: mudbeast66 and Rav

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
My new Taurus guns have a significant amount of packing grease on them, this weekend will be spent cleaning them.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I clean new guns no matter the manufacturer. When you do clean a new pistol, clean out the firing pin channel, even if all you do is blast it out with WD-40, or even air.

Taurus test fires their pistols and that is the wear you see. You can smooth out the trigger and learn trigger control on your G2 at the same time by using a snap cap and dry firing a thousand, or so, times. Even taking your time to learn the trigger, you will find that thousand goes pretty fast.

No, I have never had a spent casing come with a Taurus, only pistol that came with a spent casing was one of my Rugers.

If you intend to carry concealed, purchase a tube of gun grease and use it instead of oil on the slide and frame rails. It will save you from getting an oil stain on your pants.

Reactions: TexasDude96

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought 2 at one time. They where 2000 off on #'s. One was like clean as whistle,looks like one shot thru it. Other the recoil spring was pretty dirty and look like it was shot couple times. No biggie to me. They test shot it to make sure all good. Also yes no test casing included on both. But yes I did notice this too.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Taurus does not include the spent casing from the test fire. The only gun I have purchased that did was a S&W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. All of my new purchases have been Glocks and S&W's over the last few years and all of them have come with a spent shell so that is why I asked about it. This is my first Taurus ever. I already cleaned it and lubed it. Hopefully I can get it to the range tomorrow before the storm hits and get some rounds through it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great gun. Both of mine came clean. One from Academy and one from a lgs. Either way, it's a great gun and I love shooting it. Grab a box and shoot away!

·
Registered
107 Posts
No spent casing or cleaning brush with my Millennium G2. I did receive it in a case though, but this was probably 6 - 8 months ago. I had heard about all the grease that new guns come packed with, but mine was clean as a whistle...I cleaned and lubed it anyway before hitting the range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts