Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, I must admit that I never had much use for .380s. I felt that they were a bit underpowered. But everyone (incl. TA members) has said that the latest ammo selections are so good that the .380 is a very viable tactical/defense round. Then of course there is the size (very small) and the price (pretty reasonable) for most pistols chambered in this caliber.

Well, as if to underline the point that I might need to buy a little .380, I came across these two pistols when reading through the latest issue of Pocket Pistols: The IO Hellcat, and the MPA 380. They are small, reports are pretty good on their performance, and they just look neat. Plus, both sell for less than $250. Once again, too many choices and not enough money!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Does carrying a .380 make you feel better if you call it a 9mm Kurtz? :D

Seriously though, the caliber has become better with age so to speak. The performance from new rounds is a significant jump if you haven't shot them lately. Granted, if you're wondering where the recoil went you may not find it. Depending on what you normally shoot, your muscles are trained for that shock and now it's something significantly softer. If you have a range that rents guns near you, it may be worthwhile to make the trip and try one out.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I saw where J. Browning came up with the .380 Auto by scaling a .45 Auto to 3/4 size. So I guess you could call it a 3 quarter scale .45 Auto, or a 6 bit (anyone remember bits?) .45 Auto, if you want.

BTW, Taurus 738 TCP Blue is going for $179 now and $199 for the SS model.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We've sold 3 IO Hellcats in the past couple months. They are copies of the Keltec P3at, except just a tad larger and beefier. Internally, except for being larger, the two firearms are the same. Field stripping is the same as the P3at.

There's more gun for my hands to hold onto than with the P3at. As far as reliability, they each went thru a single 50rd box of ball with no issues. None have been returned for repair.

I have one left and can take a picture of it next to a Keltec P3at for size comparison, if you'd like.

I have no personal experience with the MPA 380, so I can't comment.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
For a pocket 380 I say try out the P238 hands down it's a great gun. Shoots just as good as my PT1911, no joke. I'd also look at the LCP and I believe NAA has a 380 that's pretty reasonable. I've heard of issues with both of these models you mentioned though. Biggest reason I sold my LCP and got a Sig though is the sig has large useable nightsites and it makes a world of different, combined with the sweet trigger... I found most 380s other then the S&W Bodyguard have basically little nubs for sites and it makes them very difficult to use. but I had an LCP and it was certainly dead reliable so I could recommend that, just don't plan in aiming it very well :/

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have a Bersa .380 very fun gun and is extremely accurate. But due to the new firearms it has lost it place in rotation.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bersa Thunder 380 can be gotten for ~$250.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
That MPA 380 is as small as my .32ACP Guardian. It seems all MPA did was stuff .380s in their .32 model. The only downsides might be the 380 is only 5+1 in capacity and possibly a real hand smacker. Blowback action in a .380 that small transmits a lot of felt recoil.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I saw where J. Browning came up with the .380 Auto by scaling a .45 Auto to 3/4 size.
Llama used to make a 380 that was nearly identical to their 45 acp model, only smaller. Always thought they were pretty cool, but alas - no longer in production.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
I've owned many different .380's over the years.

Two of my favorites that got away were the H&K 4 and the Star Model D.

The Star Model D was much more compact than their Model S.

It was produced by "Star" under a number of monikers...
Star Model D
Starlight Model DK
Colt Pony
Iver Johnson Pony
Firearms International FI Model D

You can still find most of these on the used gun market for $250-$350, with exception of the "Colt".

Colt Pony Model D's are going for as high as $2,500 because while marked "Colt" they were never really marketed.

The great thing about this little all steel 20 oz. wonder was that it was one of the few "lock breach" .380's ever made. Which meant it handled hotter ammo with less recoil. And it's controls were identical to the iconic .45 ACP 1911.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would not want a blow back pistol the size of that MPA in .380 Auto, just too much recoil.

I've always loved to look of that Llama and wished someone would come back out with one. It has a longer, thinner slide and a longer slimmer grip than the chopped 1911's you see in .380 Auto now, like the Sig 238, or Colt Agent. I recently saw an article about how John Browning came up with the .380 Auto. The .380 Auto is an exact 3/4 scale replica of the .45 Auto. It would be nice to see someone do a 3/4 scale 1911, although the SA EMP in 9mm comes close. I think the Llama conceals almost as well as the Sig 238 or Colt Agent, even though it is bigger, especially when you get rid of those thumb rest grips.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I would not want a blow back pistol the size of that MPA in .380 Auto, just too much recoil.

I've always loved to look of that Llama and wished someone would come back out with one. It has a longer, thinner slide and a longer slimmer grip than the chopped 1911's you see in .380 Auto now, like the Sig 238, or Colt Agent. I recently saw an article about how John Browning came up with the .380 Auto. The .380 Auto is an exact 3/4 scale replica of the .45 Auto. It would be nice to see someone do a 3/4 scale 1911, although the SA EMP in 9mm comes close. I think the Llama conceals almost as well as the Sig 238 or Colt Agent, even though it is bigger, especially when you get rid of those thumb rest grips.
Agreed. That MPA looks a whole lot like the NAA Guardian 380 (almost identical form factor) which is known for it's ultra stout recoil. I'd like to see taurus take a shot at a 3/4 scale 1911 in 380. I'm not a 380 fan, but I'd snap one of those up.

Here's a pic of the NAA Guardian 380

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Being long out of production, parts for the Llama will be very hard to come by. If a company does make it truly a 3/4 scale of the 1911 and not proprietary, the after market would quickly jump in with parts, just like they do for the 1911. I would be happy if someone like Caspian just started making slides, frames and other parts, so we can build our own.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
209 Posts
As I promised.

The 1st picture shows, from left to right, a Bersa Thunder380, an IO Hellcat and then the Keltec P3AT.

This next picture shows the rear of the grips, L to R, the IO Hellcat next to a Keltec P3AT.

I can only get two fingers on either grip, but the IO Hellcat fills the hand better.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.