Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just never could get used to my TCP. Nice little .380 but I never could control it too well.
Even got a UBG tuckable left hand holster for it. And a magazine holster. Did not help
and I always felt like I was not in control when I drew and fired.. So I am shopping for a
replacement. Thinking of a Sig P232. It feels pretty good in my hand and I like the size.
I am open to other suggestions.

J.B.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Have you tried the 709 mine is a good shooter.

· Registered
6,531 Posts
+1 on the 709. My wife carries the 738 and loves it, but hates my 709. I do like her 738, but not in the pink/black stainless. I am looking for one in black for myself. The 709 might be a good one to consider. I think it feels better in my hand than the 738.

· Registered
837 Posts
I had just about talked myself into buying the PT738 because of its ease of carry. When it got down to plunking the cash on the counter, I went with the PT709 instead. I decided that I am not a "pocket carry" guy, and that a slim 9mm was the way to go. I had been carrying a Ruger SR9c for the last several years and it is a very good weapon. I just wanted something thinner and lighter. The finalists in my search were the Diamondback DB9 and the Taurus PT709.

· Registered
450 Posts
I can't argue with the sig suggestion. As for other possibilities:
I love my keltec p3at, but I had to put the pacmyer grip on it and use the magazine with the finger extention on it in order for me toget to that point.
I can't praise revolvers enough.
The sig p238 is pretty slick.

· Registered
867 Posts
The S&W M&P Shield looks like a pretty slick little gun. I really like original M&P compact (pretty accurate in my hands), but I have never shot or handled the Shield. I would imagine it would work just as nicely, just a thinner package.

I'm having the same issue with my 738 TCP. I like the gun for what it's designed for, but I just don't pocket carry it. I may have to buy a good pocket holster and try it again because it mostly just sits in the safe right now. I know it's for "up-close and personal" encounters, and I can consistently put all of the shots in the kill zone. But, my groups just aren't tight enough (for my taste) to inspire confidence in the unfortunate event that I would ever need to use it.

I ended up going with an officer size 1911 (STI Spartan III) as my primary carry now. It's definitely bigger than the 709 or the Shield, but I absolutely love it. Being pretty thin, it conceals nicely. And, I am nearly as accurate with it as I am with my full-size PT1911. I strongly considered going with something similar to what you're looking for, but I decided that the extra weight of a compact 1911 was "good weight" that I was willing to deal with. In return, I am able to get back on target faster and more accurately shooting a .45 ACP than I can shooting .380 ACP out of my 738 TCP. If you've never tried shooting a compact 1911, it might be something for you to consider.

Anyway, just figured I'd give you a little food for thought since it sounds like you are in the same situation I was before I re-thought what I was looking for in a daily carry pistol. Good luck with the search. Let us know what you end up going with and how it works out for you.

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
+1 for a 9mm subcompact. I carry a Kel Tec P11 in a Blackhawk number 4 pocket holster and I'm one with it. Lots of different brands and models in this category. Try some of 'em out for yourself if you can find a range that rents.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts. I have ruled out anything that is carried in a cocked condition that does not have an ambidextrous safety.
So that leaves lefty safeties, double action only, and pistols that can be de-cocked with my left hand. I currently carry a Springfield
Champion 1911 most of the time. Ambidextrous and 4" stainless. With the thumb safety, grip safety, covered trigger, and my brain
on safe I feel very confident. I may just go to a 3" 1911. Possibly in 9mm or 40 S&W. The Springfield EMP series comes to mind. For
smaller carry, I will probably end up with a DAO in 9mm or .380. I thought about the Sig P238 or the P938. But, I have a worry for
some reason about the safety coming off. I know in my mind that if the trigger is covered, it will be ok, but it just doesn't feel right.

I guess this why there are so many types of weapons around:)

JB

· Registered
867 Posts
I'm a lefty also, so I just had my Spartan III fitted with an STI ambi safety after I function checked it when I first got it. Being a lefty in a right-handed gun world kinda sucks. Your options are definitely more limited. Good luck with the decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.