Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small collection of older ammunition in original packaging and kept in good storage condition. Some of this I purchased new in the late 50's, some was given to me, some I picked up at pawn shops, second hand stores, country stores well off the main traffic patterns. Took a look at ammunition on some of the auction sites and decided I could sell some off and do it with a clear conscience. I cast and load for everything I shoot so I was never going to use this stuff. As I list this keep in mind that I have less than 30$ in todays money invested. Small gun show in Great Falls Montana, this show specializes in antiques and collectibles, so I figured this was a good place to go shopping for a buyer. I took 3 boxes of Winchester 32-20 from 1959, 1 box of 32-20 Jacketed bullets by Winchester from 1956, 1 box of Imperial, CIL, 32-20(Canadian), 1 box of REM-UMC 41 Long Colt from about 1950 w/25 rounds fired. 1 box Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge Mallard brand from before WWII and one box of Remington (DuPont) 16 gauge in the old cream colored box w/green lettering. I shopped around, found an interested buyer, we visited, cussed, discussed and he asked how much I had to have. He gave me my price, $150.00. It would have brought more on the web but it would not have been nearly as enjoyable and this way I didn't have to learn to post pictures. Nice hour and a half. Looked for something to buy, walked in with a box, walked out empty handed w/money in my pocket. Good gun show!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I'm always amazed at the prices on old boxes of ammo. Collectors do like them.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and it's fun, too. I collect oddities in ammunition like a brand new R-P 38 SPL nickel plated case that escaped the plant never having the flash hole punched in the primer pocket. Perfect in every way, just no flash hole. Lots of interesting things in firearms related equipment. And then there are the firearms themselves.
It never gets boring or tedious, just fun.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I recall the Remington .22 that used to come in the red & green flat packs back in the early 50's, as a kid I could buy them for two bits or less and use them in Dad's old Remington Model 6 sgl shot. Walking the road ditches around the farm picking up pop bottles I could make enough at 2¢ a piece to buy several packages plus some soda pop, popcorn and a ticket to the movies!

I still have some old paper 20ga shells with the roll crimp and cardboard shot wads stashed away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts