Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really, I guess you could say I traded it in.

Traded it in on a RUGER LCP!

This little .380 comes straight from the factory shooting and ejecting everything fed it, no "fluff & buff" needed.

It also comes with a much finer finish, and better overall styling.

It is a second generation LCP with better sights and trigger than the first generation LCP.

The only thing lacking is the last shot fired hold open. My TCP would hold open quite often BEFORE the last shot was fired, and the slide would slam shut as soon as the empty magazine was popped out.

I tried to like it, but adios TCP.

·
22,027 Posts
Hope it works out well for you. We expect pictures!

Reactions: jamain

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Looks good, I fired one when I was looking for a pocket .380. It was a decent gun.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I think you made a good move.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hate to say this, but I am thinking about this as well. I just picked up a used lcp. A first gen. Barrel was a bit tarnished. I polished it and it looks good. I have 100 rounds through my TCP, and every other mag the slide locks with one left in the mag. I have called Taurus, and they think its the mag. Its an E series, I love the trigger on the TCP, but it won't empty a magazine reliably. So, I bought the used ruger to give them a fair chance. The trigger, and the empty mag slide lock make the TCP a the one I want, but if it don't run.......I like the lcp enough that I will keep it. Taurus is sending another mag........after they get more. If that don't solve it........it will take the ride to fl. At least they wrote a note that since the mags are on backorder, they will cover shipping if it goes over the 90 days.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I had the LCP, but could never warm up to it. So far, my TCP has been running well...about 200 rounds through it. I have to admit though, I like my S&W Bodyguard best of all. I carry it quite often, and have two spare magazines I carry, in a nice little paddle type magazine carrier, that was made for the PPK magazines. The S&W magazines fit quite well and snug in this carrier, and it's "paddle" design makes it comfortable and secure.

I never had an issue with the Ruger I had, I just could not shoot it very well. Yours looks nice, and I hope it runs well for you!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guys haven't been out here in a long time to post but at least kept reading. I bought a LCP thinking I wanted a small CC gun. That thing certainly is not a range gun. Pretty hard on the hand. I put the Hogue grip on it and bought the Pearce grips and it made a diff but not enough for me to really want to keep it. I am thinking about the 709 so I have been reading as much as I can here on it. I may sell the LCP. Low round count on it only because I don't enjoy shooting it but it has been reliable right out of the box. I want something larger in my hand but still easy to conceal.

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
Trigger is not nearly as nice as a (well-behaving) TCP, but if it works better for you, that's all that matters. Good luck, and safe shooting!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thankfully my TCP has always worked with the exception I occasionally hit the mag release by accident. I imagine that would be possible with any pistol that small. Plus I reversed it to the right side because I'm a lefty. Good luck with your new LCP - I think Ruger makes good products and they're C.S. is outstanding.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I like my Ruger LCP, and I'm sure the OP will, too. Some may not like the trigger, but the long trigger and no manual safety make more sense on a tiny non-range gun like the LCP. A few years ago at CCW class, a lady had a Taurus TCP that would consistently not go all the way back into battery mode. I don't recall it jamming, but like my PT 22, she seemed to be having an extended break-in period (she'd bought it recently.) Not all TCP's do that, but I remember sort of being discouraged from buying one due to her problems. Haven't regretted the LCP. The only thing to watch for is the mag popping loose if you don't have it in the right (or any) holster when it's in your pocket.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
My husband really likes his LCP and me my TCP. Luckily I got a TCP that worked right out of the box. I like the LCP fine, slide not holding open on the last round is the only complaint I have with the LCP, but that's not really that important on a "tool" gun vs. a range gun. You can't really go wrong with a Ruger imo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of the many things I like about this site is that other brands are a welcome conversation. I have visited other sites especially one that if you don't talk about their brand you don't get any input. Oh and don't dare mention Taurus! Thanks for being a great site!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The first gen Ruger LCP's needed a trigger job right out of the box. I guess they fixed that with the latest gen.

Most problems novice shooters experience (and some more advanced shooters too) in related to the whole class of micro pistols. They demand you hold them correctly and tightly or they are not going to work. It has to do with the short cycling stoke of the slide and the light weight. The lighter the pistol, the more important the hold. Some will find that they get best performance with certain ammo, but this is really because of the way they are holding the pistol. The Ruger LCP is a little heavier and this will cause it to work a little better with those who have a weaker hold.

There are many posts in these forums about this class of pistol and what you need to do to get them right for CC. Do yourself a favor and read them. One of the first things you will read in just about every thread is that these micro pistols are not for novices. Best to learn to shoot with a bigger pistol and learn the basics, than to start off with one of the most difficult type pistols to master. Sort of like jumping in a Formula 1 racer for your first driving lesson.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 21 Posts