·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: 777Driver

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
They said that because people would always push the limit that they were going to strongly enforce the 85 speed limit. This should be fun to see!!!!!!!

Reactions: RustyYoungMan

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That aint your grandads Cadillac!

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
959 Posts
no speeding tickets?
Just make sure you paid your toll.

That's going to be a fun road.

AFS

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
I was on a short southbound section of the newly opened section from Buda 45 turn off to San Marcos 21 yesterday. Quality of road in that section fairly low (asphalt in lieu of concrete) compared to the section from Buda to Georgetown. Still not sure who is filling their sack on this venture. Was supposed to relieve IH35 traffic, but terminates 50 miles from San Antonio on IH10 East of Seguin which just adds useless miles to trip for anyone south of SATX. Only good thing I've seen from it is bypassing Austin and worth every penny to avoid that mess. My F150 won't do 85 MPH so the higher speed limit is of no consequence. The Buda to Georgetown is still 80 MPH. The Buda entrance to toll road will remain best for all those entering from IH35 N unless they build more feeders from IH35 S.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I was on a short southbound section of the newly opened section from Buda 45 turn off to San Marcos 21 yesterday. Quality of road in that section fairly low (asphalt in lieu of concrete) compared to the section from Buda to Georgetown. Still not sure who is filling their sack on this venture. Was supposed to relieve IH35 traffic, but terminates 50 miles from San Antonio on IH10 East of Seguin which just adds useless miles to trip for anyone south of SATX. Only good thing I've seen from it is bypassing Austin and worth every penny to avoid that mess. My F150 won't do 85 MPH so the higher speed limit is of no consequence. The Buda to Georgetown is still 80 MPH. The Buda entrance to toll road will remain best for all those entering from IH35 N unless they build more feeders from IH35 S.
Yeah my pickup has the same issue, the gauge pegs at 85, still, shes an old working pickup, hauled and towed her fair share... 85 would be pushing it for her! :D

I haven't been down there yet, but I am looking forward to trying it to bypass Austin at least once to see how it goes. Though 220 would be nice.. Austin to San Antonio in 12 minutes... not bad!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man I tell you it would be fun, but it would suck to do it in my Jeep Cherokee getting only in the teens per gallon. It would take me a tank of gas each way going that speed. It would add up pretty fast and turn out to be pretty costly with gas near $4.00 a gallon. We have enough crashes here in Wisconsin with the limit at 65, nobody goes that slow anymore they already drive like it's 80. Speed safe.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Would not have worked for my 2001 Blazer.
On a long straight stretch of I-55 in Illinois, I once decided to see how fast I could go before I scared myself.
At 85MPH, the motor quit. That scared me enough that I took my foot off the gas and, lo and behold, the engine restarted.
My first and only experience with what my son called a speed governor.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Where is the usual "Don't try this at home" warning! My wife has a Cadillac SLS (Northstar). It is fast, but, if you have ever driven through NC, you know that the North Carolina State Troopers don't play.

View attachment 39326

·
10,379 Posts
Where is the usual "Don't try this at home" warning! My wife has a Cadillac SLS (Northstar). It is fast, but, if you have ever driven through NC, you know that the North Carolina State Troopers don't play.

View attachment 39326
Like a buddy of mine used to say: You may be able to outrun the cop car, you won't be able to outrun their radio.

I'd be willing to give that road a shot if I still had my Golf, tires were rated for high speed (185 IIRC) and the car was built in Germany. Had it wrapped up over 100 a few times for testing new mods (that was my excuse anyways).

My Silverado has hit 90 with no problem passing a freakin' Sunday Driver in Illinois, but, I don't know if I'd want to keep it at that speed for more than a few minutes, she's for haulin' hay and trailers not ass.

·
Super Moderator
26,854 Posts
You people that haven't been there would love Germany!

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Yeah my pickup has the same issue, the gauge pegs at 85, still, shes an old working pickup, hauled and towed her fair share... 85 would be pushing it for her! :D

I haven't been down there yet, but I am looking forward to trying it to bypass Austin at least once to see how it goes. Though 220 would be nice.. Austin to San Antonio in 12 minutes... not bad!
You can test it out next year when you attend the first annual patriots meeting down at the Alamo! ;)

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Maybe I'll borrow my daughters custom Dodge Ram, 85 should be enough to get it out of first gear! :D

·
10,379 Posts
Maybe I'll borrow my daughters custom Dodge Ram, 85 should be enough to get it out of first gear! :D
Oh yeah? Tranny stuck? Transmissions have always been a Dodge issue<g>

Sorry, you left the door open and ya know I just had to walk through it

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
From my understanding talking to a guy a few years ago (before the 55 mph limits was imposed) they figure a highway safe to 30% more than the actual posted speed. Which means at 85mph it should be safe to drive at about 110 mph. Now that assumes a perfect driver which few on our streets are however that is what the road itself can handle if used to race on.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
From my understanding talking to a guy a few years ago (before the 55 mph limits was imposed) they figure a highway safe to 30% more than the actual posted speed. Which means at 85mph it should be safe to drive at about 110 mph. Now that assumes a perfect driver which few on our streets are however that is what the road itself can handle if used to race on.
That wouldn't suprise me if there was some formula like that.

I think speed limits need reviewed every so often, handling a vehicle made in the 2000's at highway speeds vs handling a vehicle from say the 1960's at highway speed are night and day!

·
Registered
8,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've been on that stretch of toll way a few months ago when the speed limit was "only" 80 mph. When the crosswinds are high, 80 mph on that toll way is "interesting".

·
Super Moderator
35,516 Posts
I will usually hit up to 15 mph over if I am in a hurry. So what are they going to call the new road? Maybe the "Autobahn Y'all" ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts