Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
35,278 Posts
We're going to have a lot of people over for Thanksgiving. We've asked them that if anybody has a fever, or one of the grandkids has a fever, that they stay home, but they would have done that anyway.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
May not matter to you but a recent study done at "The Icahn School of Medicine at Mt Sinai" proved beyond doubt that lockdowns do NOT prevent Covid spread! Biden can preach science all day but he's worse than Twitter and fartbook if he censors this scientific data for his political gain!
Please feel free to look this study info up for confirmation. It should be easy to find as it was published in the most recent issue of "The New England Journal of Medicine".
I don't need to look it up, I believe you, and the study. The very moment I saw the word "prevent" in your post I knew you were correct because nothing as of yet can prevent the spread of the virus, only slow it down, reduce the spread, make it vastly more manageable and tolerable. I can however prevent myself from getting together with a large group of people in an enclosed space where everyone is talking and eating with masks off, where my chances of potentially getting infected go up dramatically from my normal day to day routine. Thus, my small members only Thanksgiving this year.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't need to look it up, I believe you, and the study. The very moment I saw the word "prevent" in your post I knew you were correct because nothing as of yet can prevent the spread of the virus, only slow it down, reduce the spread, make it vastly more manageable and tolerable. I can however prevent myself from getting together with a large group of people in an enclosed space where everyone is talking and eating with masks off, where my chances of potentially getting infected go up dramatically from my normal day to day routine. Thus, my small members only Thanksgiving this year.
That's cool. The other half of the study information showed that while lockdowns don't prevent the spread of Covid it does intensify local infection rates. A fact I've repeated over and over many times and has been borne out by every outbreak dating to the bubonic plague/Black Death in the 1600s which is when we began paying attention to "continent killers". The plague killed about twice as many Western Europeans as the Nazis.
On a semi related topic, 75+% of victims of gunshot wounds used to die from infections. After the release of penicillin in 1942 death rates of GSWs dropped quickly by 50%.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
We'll have a group of about a dozen for Thanksgiving. All family. If I can work five or six days a week exposed to hundreds of people (many of whom do not wear masks or do not wear them properly if they do), then I can spend an afternoon with family with minimal risk. Turkey, brisket, pecan pie, and any number of side dishes will be on the menu. I do the brisket and pecan pie. Other family members supply the rest. After lunch we usually settle in and watch the Cowboys game together. Not sure if that will happen this year, though.
So you are daily exposed to all those people at work so you figure you won't get the virus from your family. The point is you may have the virus and didn't get sick but you will gather your family around you and expose all of them to the same danger from where you work.

I hope you and yours have a great holiday and no one in your family gets sick due to your exposure...

Don

·
Administrator
39,689 Posts
It will be interesting to see if there is a significant surge in Covid, after the Thanksgiving holiday, above the current surge.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
As for me, the only Turkey I plan on enjoying come in a bottle with a cork and the label reads "Wild Turkey 101"

Hope this Holiday finds all of you, my T/A Family and Friends in good health, positive frame of mind, and Blessings as we adventure forward into untraveled territories.
Well then its Thanksgiving most every week around here.:D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It will be interesting to see if there is a significant surge in Covid, after the Thanksgiving holiday, above the current surge.
Yea, like the surge we had this summer from all the liberal riots we had. That surge never happened . Its seems we only have a "surge" when its politically convenient.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
We've been going out for Thanksgiving buffet at a local restaurant for the last 5 or 6 years. That's not going to happen this year - they are open and I imagine the servers will bring plates to the table. That's okay but not as much fun as a buffet - ha ha. It looks like my wife and I will fix our meal and maybe go downtown in the evening to look at lights.

We got together with our kids and grandkids on Halloween - pulled a fast one on the Mayor with that move! Their friends and friends kids were there too - had a great time watching the young ones play and carry on with costumes on.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
No plans for us this year, unless the weather is nice, then I'm going golfing. The college where our oldest granddaughter attends will shut down this Friday and not have classes until January 2021. They haven't actually attended classes since early October and get everything through their computers. Her brother is a senior in high school and has schooled from home all year as have our other two are 8 & 10 year old granddaughters in Kansas City.

I think the main problem we have with COVID19 is because they tried to blame every death on it in the beginning and a lot of people don't trust the numbers now. The fools in California and New York didn't exactly instill massive confidence in government with their stupidity. Living in Missouri, it just started really hitting us about a month ago and the numbers are skyrocketting.

At least I have time to manage my vast financial empire now. 😂

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Think we will be six this year. One of the smallest gatherings we have had in a long time. Not because of Covid, more the family is just more spread out around the country.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
May not matter to you but a recent study done at "The Icahn School of Medicine at Mt Sinai" proved beyond doubt that lockdowns do NOT prevent Covid spread! Biden can preach science all day but he's worse than Twitter and fartbook if he censors this scientific data for his political gain!
Please feel free to look this study info up for confirmation. It should be easy to find as it was published in the most recent issue of "The New England Journal of Medicine".
Biden can't preach all day about anything.
I can hear it now, "We are establishing new regulations and restrictions for, you know, the thing."

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
And if your chances of infection quadruple, it would nearly be a 1 percent chance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We've got two Thanksgivings to go to. The first is on the actual day put on by my 74 yr old mom w/78 yr old dad (12 attending). They're not insisting that we show but would like it if we all could. My dad has had a stroke, colon "problems", and hip surgery all within 3 years time and he's wondering how many more holidays he'll be able to attend and be involved in. The second is on Sat. at my wife's parents with her 70+ year old mom & dad who said the same (20+ attending). All us kids have told each other if you don't feel good don't show up but if not, try to come. If they don't want to attend because they're scared to catch the cooties fine...you do you and we'll all be fine.

I just left a meeting with a 90 yr old client who stuck his hand out to shake it but his daughter caught us before we did so he just stuck his elbow out and said "damned Covid has everybody acting like if they don't catch it they'll live forever". After my partner went with his daughter to look at the parcel we'd be splitting out of the farm, my client took off his mask his daughter insisted on & told me that his two daughters had always acted like he can't die. He said he was 90 and in good condition but when it's his time it's his time. He has nothing left to look forward to, family and friends are mostly dead so when it comes...he's ready. Then he laughed about his two daughters in their 70s & 60s thinking he'll never die.

Again...you do you and I'll do me and we'll all be fine

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
And if your chances of infection quadruple, it would nearly be a 1 percent chance.
Yesterday alone 157,000 people tested positive in the US, and almost 1,900 people died from it. If that number should "quadruple", well, God help us all because at that point we might just start seeing bring out your dead carts roaming the streets.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If past celebrations are any indication, in my area Covid spiked up significantly after Easter, only slightly after Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor day. Outdoor weather could've been a factor, plus the last 3 holidays aren't traditionally family events for some people like Easter and Thanksgiving is.

·
Registered
590 Posts
After a lot of consideration my wife and I have decided to go solo this year. She is a caregiver for her Mother who is on the top end of the risk scale with COPD, etc. I have been fighting a cough for almost three weeks so I would not be popular in a larger crowd. My BIL's significant other believes she was exposed and is waiting for her test results. My wife has a very large family which includes five college students (nieces and nephews) one of which has already been sick with Covid. The extended family includes several people who are more focused on meeting their "needs" and not at all concerned with our health and well being.

Our Daughter and grandchildren arrive on Dec. 21 for two weeks and needing to cancel that visit because we are sick might put us over the edge. The wife cried as expected but in the end agreed it was the right thing for us this year.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts