Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this article and realized how timely it was. My dad has had to move to a full time use of a cane as his gait has worsened over the past several years. And he has about 15 different canes ranging from store bought to hand whittled. And he has duct taped a Cold Steel knife to the upper shat on each one. No, he hasn't attached Mag carriers to it . . . YET, but he ain't dead yet either! He gave me one of his canes last time and, yep, I duct taped a Buck 109 knife to it:D. I've also enclosed a pic of my "tacticrippled" setup when I had my cast on my left foot after surgery last year. Anyway, the article is a hoot!

294D963A-0252-4DA0-A8F5-CA9D3E4D21FE.jpeg F60E0BC7-38DD-4DC7-988D-41A62C401CF3.jpeg

https://gunsmagazine.com/odd-angry-shot/the-tacticripple-chronicles-part-1/

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When I am crippled up (which is always), I will read, turn salt and pepper mills and shakers, bowls and build tactical shelving. I've had 19 surgeries on lumbar, cervical spine and hands knees and shoulder. And pain had become a part of life.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I've used a cane for around 20 years so I guess "crippled up" is a way of life now.
I'm good for about 2 or 3 blocks and then just throw me in the back of the truck.
There is a mobility scooter in my future that has to look and sound like a Harley.
I have about 10 canes laying around. Some junk, one a custom blackthorn from Ireland
and a couple of hand carved ones that are nice.
I don't worry about self defense using a cane, I'll just shoot them.
What I really need the cane for is beating off all the women.
I'm old but still darn good looking.

·
8,324 Posts
To answer your question; you adapt. My issues keep me from being active, but I still force myself to practice shooting. Sometimes sitting in my Gator, sometimes while handling a cane or a walker. I am not crippled all the time, but running a block, heck even walking a block can be difficult. So I practice while infirm and healthy , because I never know what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aches and pains let you know you're alive. Think of the alternative. The day you don't feel any pain is the day you're not talking about it anymore.
I know that sitting around is worse than being active. Last winter kicked my butt. Not to mention was diagnosed with diabetes about this time last year. Now under control with medication.
Working for a living, paying taxes, working 12 hour days and night shift, running two or more construction jobs at a time, fast food and eating on the go for ten+ years. High cholesterol and blue collar American life. Not to mention 4 years in the military straight out of high school.
When you're crippled up, you tend to think about things like this. Not that the whole system is designed to kill ya or break you down...........but it sort of is that way.
I have projects for the crippled up days. House projects, gunsmithing projects, forums, etc.
I also use some of those days to call and pester folks, ask for discounts, and rattle their chains. Like my health insurance people, my cell phone carrier, my satellite TV provider, and my internet provider about how they've been ripping me off and I'd like them to stop. You know- those days where a phone conversation can last a couple of hours without getting desired results.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I've used a cane for around 20 years so I guess "crippled up" is a way of life now.
I'm good for about 2 or 3 blocks and then just throw me in the back of the truck.
There is a mobility scooter in my future that has to look and sound like a Harley.
I have about 10 canes laying around. Some junk, one a custom blackthorn from Ireland
and a couple of hand carved ones that are nice.
I don't worry about self defense using a cane, I'll just shoot them.
What I really need the cane for is beating off all the women.
I'm old but still darn good looking.
Yeah...:mellow:...they say the eyes are the first to go.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'll bet for every answer, there are eight or ten of ya who nod your head and say, right out loud, "Thank God I'm not the only one!", just like I did.

The things that took their toll through the years were love affairs - - - with motorcycles, airplanes, having a home I could call "MINE OWN!". and all of the work that made those things possible while providing the best for wife and children was above all else.

Ram Rod says it best: "I know that sitting around is worse than being active." But it seems lately, when I get the urge to do something constructive, I find that my crutches have suddenly turned to rubber, even though they still LOOK like aluminum. I haven't sat down at the loading bench for two months, and that ain't normal.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I'm not sure. I wake up every morning thankful for the day. Between the sky diving and motorcycle crashes things could be a lot worse. I'm fortunate and I appreciate it.
I've always taken my play very seriously. I knew when I was young that what I was doing then, would come back to haunt me in my old age...:unsure:...I just hoped it'd be worth it. :smile:...it was. With every wince of pain, usually comes a grin. The aches and pains come from injuries well earned, there's a memory and story to most every one. I'm a lot worse off than I ever thought I'd be but a lot better off than I prob'ly have any right to be, all things considered. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing. Nobody gets outa' life alive.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
For me, "crippled up", is when the arthritis is acting up. I had to break down and realize that I needed a stick after my motorcycle accident 10 years ago. At the NRA annual meeting when it was in Pittsburgh, I bought a nice stick at the Boyd's rifle stock booth. That was the only way I was going to make it through the day and back to the van. In total I only have four.

The laminated Boyd's is still my favorite.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I have several mobility scooters.
A fusion 450 that needs batteries that cost 2+ times the value of the scooter.
An Activecare Prowler 3310, my primary use scooter.
A Palmer Twosome that I am slowly modifying to fit me.
A Palmer Independence stretch that has a broken frame I am saving money for so I can replace the frame on.

I actually put more mileage on the scooters than my pickup each year.

I forgot to say I sometimes use a cane but it seems to slow me down and limit the already short distance I can walk.

·
Super Moderator
34,943 Posts
You know, I have thought about making a holster for my Shockwave to put on my wheelchair. :rofl:

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
34,943 Posts
Monday, tomorrow, starts Texas bow season and I would have gotten excited about it, but last time I climbed that ladder to my tree stand, it felt VERY unstable. I think I'll wait until I can ride my ATV back to my box blind and shoot a bullet at 'em. :D I mean, I really don't need to shoot a deer this season, just sorta been my thing to do much of my life. Hard to fight tradition.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Monday, tomorrow, starts Texas bow season and I would have gotten excited about it, but last time I climbed that ladder to my tree stand, it felt VERY unstable. I think I'll wait until I can ride my ATV back to my box blind and shoot a bullet at 'em. :D I mean, I really don't need to shoot a deer this season, just sorta been my thing to do much of my life. Hard to fight tradition.
I don't hunt anymore but I still like to go out in bow season to spot game. I walked up on this herd the other day......
015013-MED.jpg

I came across this guy on my way home. He hit this one as it ran across the road in front of 'im....
il_340x270.2132876377_86gi.jpg

·
Registered
31,693 Posts
You know, I have thought about making a holster for my Shockwave to put on my wheelchair. :rofl:
N.T., Try one of these: $22.89 with free shipping. Padded Gortex. I got one just a few weeks ago, and it makes a great scabbard, plenty of mounting points, multiple sling points. I also got a rail for the top optics mount and put a green dot laser on mine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Equip-Tactical-Rifle-Gun-Carbine-Bag-Range-Double-Padded-Pistol-Soft-Case-2Color/274315380905?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=574421303633&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is the Green Laser: $16.79 with free shipping. Mounted the rail and Laser yesterday https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinty-Hunting-Green-Dot-Laser-Sight-Rifle-Scope-W-Switch-Rail-Mounts-Batteries/163955909642?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=dfde02bf8f8146e6bfc3f4265be617e6&pid=100290&rk=3&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=283841959439&itm=163955909642&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I will let you know how the laser holds up.

·
Registered
31,693 Posts
The unfortunate thing of thinking we were indestructible in our youth, is we live beyond out youth and have to pay for our youthful adventures. The old saying, "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" is an old but wise adage. At 72, I am slowing up some, and can tell the worst is yet to come, but I am so far ahead of most people my age.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
34,943 Posts
Well, cancer is a beeoch. It's left me very anemic. I don't need the chair for a wounded limb or anything, just can't walk very far without passing out, or nearly so. So I got this electrically motivated chair to go shopping and it's turned out to be very handy around the house for gardening and trimming with roundup. :D If I really need off road capability, I have my Arctic Cat.

Neighbor's daughter brought her boyfriend down this weekend. He has this new Jeep and the typical city boy with a jeep attitude that he can go anywhere with it. You guessed it, he's stuck back in the back. There's NO WAY I was going to take my 4x4 F 150 back there. I've learned my lesson about the mud out here. :rofl: Get below the 2" of hard crust and you sink to the frame. So, i gave him the phone number of Delgado's wrecker service in Eagle Lake. They have one of those HUGE 4x4 rice field tractors. Only reason they have it is to make money on kids with Jeeps that think they're invincible. :rofl: They make a lot of money pulling city kids out of the mud.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Super Moderator
34,943 Posts
N.T., Try one of these: $22.89 with free shipping. Padded Gortex. I got one just a few weeks ago, and it makes a great scabbard, plenty of mounting points, multiple sling points. I also got a rail for the top optics mount and put a green dot laser on mine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Equip-Tactical-Rifle-Gun-Carbine-Bag-Range-Double-Padded-Pistol-Soft-Case-2Color/274315380905?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=574421303633&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is the Green Laser: $16.79 with free shipping. Mounted the rail and Laser yesterday https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinty-Hunting-Green-Dot-Laser-Sight-Rifle-Scope-W-Switch-Rail-Mounts-Batteries/163955909642?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=dfde02bf8f8146e6bfc3f4265be617e6&pid=100290&rk=3&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=283841959439&itm=163955909642&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I will let you know how the laser holds up.

You've given me an idea. I have this laser on one of my SKSs that I never use. Hmmmm.....:D

Reactions: Jake3501
1 - 20 of 22 Posts