Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah bro, glad ya got it, let me know how it shoots.. I still say its a bit much gun for me... I been looking at Revolvers and I still can't find a single one that appeals to me at all, I guess I am Auto Biased bad!!!

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I was looking over one of the 4" barreled versions last week under glass. It's just a tad out of my price range.

Oh wait. Everything is out of my price range right now. ;D

I hope to hear it shoots well and functions perfectly. I wouldn't mind owning one of those very non-traditional revolvers myself.

Congrats, MisterNoisy. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks! I picked up some snap-caps with it, and the DA trigger is weird - it's initially very heavy, but once you get over the 'hump', it's pretty smooth. SA is quite nice, however (as it generally is in a revolver). One oddity is that the reset is just 'lumpy' and while it isn't gritty, it's not smooth either - you have to experience it to know what I mean.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's pretty neat. You are the first person I have heard about owning one. I will definitely be interested in the range report....

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The design is definately unique and their theory of reducing recoil and muzzle flip sounds reasonable. I wonder how they came up with the flat sided cylinder though?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The design is definately unique and their theory of reducing recoil and muzzle flip sounds reasonable. I wonder how they came up with the flat sided cylinder though?
Ostensibly, the hexagonal cylinder is there to increase concealability in the 2" snubby - flat sides mean it's thinner in profile. It just also happens to make my bonkers 6" model look even stranger than it already does.

·
Super Moderator
36,800 Posts
It kind of has a "Death Ray" thing going on! :D I also eagerly await the range report...Congrats on the new handgun.:)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
That is one radically-designed revolver!

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Man, that is one ugly pistol. :confused: I want one just like it! ;)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, that is one ugly pistol. :confused: I want one just like it! ;)
Range report incoming tomorrow. :) I've got 100 Speer Lawman .38 +P and 100 Remington 125gr JFP .357 Mag, so I'll definitely be wringing the new gun out alongside my SA standbys.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, the Rhino is a fantastically weird gun - that much is known - but how does it shoot?

Quite well, actually.

I spent most of the time in SA, since the DA trigger pull is definitely a bit much - I'll need more time with snap caps before I can feel really comfortable with it. That said, it's a highly accurate firearm if the shooter is doing their part.

My first cylinder full of .38+P printed about 6" high at 15 yards, but three were cloverleafed and the other three were about 1"-1.5" away. A bit of sight adjustment (a lot actually - the rear sight had to come right down to the stop and I still had to use a 6 o'clock hold) later and i had an absolute tack driver. Felt recoil was literally on par with my pops' .22WMR tracker - this is a gun that you could shoot all day with this ammo and impress your range buddies with what a great shooter you are. The sights are just about perfect (after adjustment), and it definitely points and shoots very naturally.

After finishing a box of the .38s and running some ammo through my CZ and Para, I swapped to the 125gr .357s, and the sights were now too high - the gun now printed low, which I adjusted for. On top of that, my groups opened up somewhat after the first cylinder, as the recoil was much more intense and literally all of it was focused into the web of my hand, which is definitely different. My guess is that with a higher bore axis gun, your gripping hands are helping to offset/absorb some of the recoil which is directed upwards in the form of muzzle flip, whereas the Rhino just drives 100% of Newton's Third Law straight back into that soft spot between your thumb and index finger. It's manageable, but it's not something I personally would shoot all day like the .38s - I ran through one box and figured I'd save the other one for a later range trip, and also took a fairly long break before shooting again - my shooting for the rest of the day was affected as well, since I was now somewhat sore in that area.

I think the Rhino would benefit from a slightly wider and more rounded grip design that distributes some of the impulse into the meaty part of the palm as well, and have already popped the grip off and traced the grip frame to make a router template from so I can make one. Even better would be that same larger/rounder grip but in rubber.

I will say that I do love this incredibly funky gun, and it doesn't hurt that you get a ton of attention - lots of questions were asked, and I ended up passing it around quite a lot for people to try out - many commented on how hard it was to use the cocking lever, though I didn't really have an issue with it, but I have piano fingers, so it wasn't as much of a stretch to hook the leading edge of the lever with my thumb as it was for others. People also commented on the sturm und drang of full-house magnum loads, since it was rapid fire day at the range and most people were chewing through lots of 9mm and .45 ammo, though they were unsurprisingly much more impressed/shocked/annoyed by my pops's 'surprise!' cylinders of .454.

All told, I'm actually happier than I expected to be, and based on that I'll paraphrase Ferris Bueller: 'It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.'

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
it is unusual lookin, soldier of fortune magazine gave it the thumbs up

·
Super Moderator
36,800 Posts
Thanks for the report! All in all it sounds like a very serious tool and toy wrapped up in one. Keep us up to speed on grip mods if you will.

·
Registered
32,094 Posts
It's looks are very appealing to me...but I'm very. very strange!:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts