Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my recent experience. After about 3000 rounds through my PT145, 3 replaced mags, one broken slide release lever, and a cracked frame. I decided to trade in my brand spankin new replacement gun on a Smith and Wesson E series 1911 CT (Crimson Trace)

I have mixed feelings about this trade-off. I really love my new Smith, however I also really liked the design of the PT145. Great shooting gun, very concealable in my IWB Super Tuck. But I just did not have a good experience with this gun's reliability. Even after the replacement mags I had more misfeeds than I felt was acceptable. (although the new mags were significantly better then the original mags) I'd buy another one of these guns if Taurus could work out the reliability issues. I know not all of them have reliabiltiy issues, but many of them do.

I do have to say that I thought it was nice that Taurs honored their warrenty without issue. They sent a new gun in the box with mags just as if I'd have purchased it from a dealer. I still had my extra mag, and mag loader and they didn't short me when sending the new gun.

I still own a Taurs PT909 which has never given me one issue. It's as if the gun was made by a different company. Night and day difference in quality between the 909 and the PT in my opinion.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I do have to say that I thought it was nice that Taurs honored their warrenty without issue. They sent a new gun in the box with mags just as if I'd have purchased it from a dealer. I still had my extra mag, and mag loader and they didn't short me when sending the new gun.
And this is one of the reasons I keep buying Taurus handguns, time after time.

Good luck with your new S&W 1911 with the CT sights.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Sorry to hear you had problems.

Don't know if I'm lucky or blessed, hopefully both, but all of my Taurus Millennium Pros have been 100% right reliable out of the box.

The S&W 1911's are well made, albeit expensive, as most name brand 1911's.

It should be a good shooter and give you many years of service.

However due to it's size and weight, in my opinion, it's in a totally different class as the bulldog puggish PT145's.

Being relatively flat, they are easily concealed, but somewhat heavy on the hip.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I agree MOONDAWG, I miss carying IWB like I did with my MilPro. I'm looking for a good IWB holster made of all leather. I don't want to marr the perrty finish on my SS 1911. I guess I'm really looking for gun Jammies and not a holster! :)

Truth be told, I was planning on keeping my replacement MilPro, but had some gift certificates for a local sporting goods store, with those in hand and a reasonable trade offer, I couldn't pass up the Smith and Wesson. I do miss my MilPro already. Sometime down the road I'm sure I'll get another.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I was not happy with my PT145 as well. That's why I sold it. My PT1911, PT92, & PT945 are all great guns, and are not going anywhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm at about the same point with my PT145....I haven't had a chance to try the new mags I bought,but I'm not really holding my breath......thinking seriously about trading it in on a 24/7...or maybe a Commander size 1911....still a Taurus fan,just not a Mil-Pro fan

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you have problems with your S&W 1911, they are top-notch when it comes to customer service. Repairs are a tad on the slow side but they pick up all shipping costs; no questions asked. You will receive a shipping carton in the mail with prepaid postage. I prefer S&W revolvers to their semi-autos but their 1911 seems to be pretty top-shelf. I carry a 1911 IWB and feel good about that weapon platform for self defense. I carry a revolver BUG as well; both IWB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking to get rid of my PT140. I've had more issues with it through 800 rounds than I consider acceptable. Possibly trading it towards an XD.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about the MilPros. My PT145 has been perfect for over 1700 rounds, and goes with me everyday I leave the house. Best of luck with whatever you choose to rely on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought my 145 and hope I will be issue free at least for awhile.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I have had few problems with my PT-140 in more than 1200 rounds. Sorry to hear about your problems!

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I know how you feel. I just let my 845 go along with my 1911 MS, and XD40. My TCP is next. I'm getting rid of all those I don't shoot a lot. And replacing them as opportunity knocks-

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had to part ways with my 24/7 after only two weeks of ownership. It felt good in the hand, was slightly lighter than a 1911 but it was so bulky I couldn't conceal it. My Dad was wanting a 709Slim so I traded the 24/7 for one and my Dad took the 709.

I have two Taurus revolvers that have been stellar, an M851 and Judge Magnum. I may lay off their semi-autos for a while.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just wanted to share my recent experience. After about 3000 rounds through my PT145, 3 replaced mags, one broken slide release lever, and a cracked frame. I decided to trade in my brand spankin new replacement gun on a Smith and Wesson E series 1911 CT (Crimson Trace)

I have mixed feelings about this trade-off. I really love my new Smith, however I also really liked the design of the PT145. Great shooting gun, very concealable in my IWB Super Tuck. But I just did not have a good experience with this gun's reliability. Even after the replacement mags I had more misfeeds than I felt was acceptable. (although the new mags were significantly better then the original mags) I'd buy another one of these guns if Taurus could work out the reliability issues. I know not all of them have reliabiltiy issues, but many of them do.

I still own a Taurs PT909 which has never given me one issue. It's as if the gun was made by a different company. Night and day difference in quality between the 909 and the PT in my opinion.
Yet another example of the excellent customer service Taurus continues to provide. With a warranty like this, why buy anything else?

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
My PT140 is staying, my favorite and most accurate pistol.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
35,996 Posts
Yet another example of the excellent customer service Taurus continues to provide. With a warranty like this, why buy anything else?
I quite agree with you on the quality of the lifetime warranty that Taurus provides.

Even though I've only had to use the warranty on one Taurus handgun I've ever owned, it is good to know they will stand behind their products should I ever need them again.

Reactions: ozzy

·
32,497 Posts
Because he can. It's up to him what he wants to do though I do understand the sentiment of us Taurus owners.

If he chooses another gun that's within his perview to do so with out question. No problem there.

·
32,497 Posts
I've wanted a 1911 gun for the longest time. A PT1911 at that , but a Remington R1 had my eye.

Then I figured out that I did not really need a 1911 for me. Personal choice.

Why would that be any different for him with the Taurus warranty aside?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
"Yet another example of the excellent customer service Taurus continues to provide. With a warranty like this, why buy anything else?"

I had a tremendous experience with the Ruger warranty. Many gun companies provide great customer service and life time warranties. Taurus is great but they are by far not the only company that offers this service, nor were they the first. They do market it heavily though.

·
35,996 Posts
My wife has a Ruger LCP, but I don't think it has a lifetime warranty.

If it does, please correct me and point me in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts