1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Anything can happen. I've seen this before on other forums and sites not associated with Fobus or Holsterland so I don't think it's a ploy.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Lack of common sense. Next thing you know there will be warning labels on holsters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow that is one scary story !

·
Banned
3,798 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
looks like an accident. 1. Is that the proper holster. 2.Holster looks a little worn. 3. glad no one was injured, cause that is fuel for the "take the guns away fire".

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
My holsters are tight and my safety's are on. Preventative maintanence. ;)

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Saw this a while ago. Holster was old and soft, possibly was oiled, which for a single-thickness leather holster is the kiss of death. Holsters should be stiff and double thickness, and preferably, lined. Says something for a thumb safety, which locks the slide and the trigger. If the leather is folding into the trigger guard, THROW IT AWAY!

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
In the one picture it looks like the crease was pushed further in possibly by hitting it with the seatbelt latch on the way down to the receiver, and then when he rotated down, BOOM!

Really does not matter, the holster was no longer in usable condition. Trigger guard area of holster should be reinforced, even double leather or steel/kydex insert, and must cover the entire trigger guard area, this is especially important for Glock type "trigger safeties".

Unnecessary de-holstering and re-holstering should be avoided.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I soaked some glue on the back of mine to make it hold its shape.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Holsters and firearms are "inanimate objects" that don't do anything on their own.

If one hears a loud noise and feels pain it's one's own fault.

Our homes are filled with sharp knives, axes and power tools too, yet they don't get the blamed when people are negligent.

The only time it's truly sad is when some innocent bystander gets tagged by other's negligence.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
If the leather had been cut to fully cover the trigger guard, this wouldn't have happened. Wrong holster design pick.
Also, gluing in a thin piece of plastic would have given some support.
And yet another reason why I don't like the trigger-nipple safety, and chose a Taurus of the older design that has a natural, down stroke manual safety, the PT-111 Mil.

·
Registered
540 Posts
1. It's all been pretty much covered but while that holster CAN be used for open carry, it doesn't mean it SHOULD. He could have gotten a properly fitting custom leather holster for such purposes for about $20 at any shop. Holsters like that usually have a clip on one side as well as the belt loop holes. Also, the retention grip on those holsters aren't as good as a fitted leather holster. They are fine for IWB carry but I would never use one for Open Carry if I had a choice.

2. Where is the safety on that thing and why wasn't it on? If there is no safety, why was there a round in the chamber?

3. He was negligent. He knew the holster was worn and was a potential problem and didn't replace it.

If one is going to take on the responsibility of carrying a loaded firearm around in public, they need to take things seriously and be OCD about them. The anti-gun crowd jumps on stuff like this in a heart beat! We are trying to get back to Constitutional Carry and we can't do that as long as were have duffuses like this shooting themselves!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts