Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been toying with selling my two SKS rifles. I don't fire them, matter of fact I have never fired either of these. But, having just watched the news special it looks like it maybe time to let them go on to someone who would put them to a good use as a sporting arm.

I guess I could always use the cash towards a motorcycle or hand guns or even ammo if it ever becomes available.
Maybe another lever action....oh the wheels in my head are spinning.

I remember when you could buy these at the flea market for $69.99 each and the ammo was priced in line with .22lr ammo.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
It's a sellers market, no joke there. If you haven't fired them and there isn't a sentimental value present and you could use the cash to buy something you would enjoy more; I say sell them!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Curious: what model & years + how will you put them on the market??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yes prices? And I would sell while the hysteria is high if you have no attachment.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I remember when you could buy these at the flea market for $69.99 each and the ammo was priced in line with .22lr ammo.

I remember you could go into some local gun or pawn shop with $198 and come out with an SKS and 1000 rounds of ammo - $99 for the gun and $99 for the ammo.

Pretty sure the ammo was corrosive, though. Still, wish I'd done it. Couldn't though. Try and jog your memory and remember how much $198 used to be to some people :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I remember those days as well.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea as to what year they are. I do know that the one with the wood stock is Russian, the other I can't tell due to the poly stock covering the side plate too high. The wood stocked all the numbers do match and it comes with one poly mag and the poly stock has one metal mag. For some reason they won't interchange with one another. These were my brothers and I ended up with them after he needed some cash.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You better get them registered to you right away.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
In the current paniced atmosphere you will have NO problems selling them.

We all know of folks "price gouging" nowadays, and that issue can be debated indefinitely.

SKS's in my area, depending no condition, are going in the neighborhood of $200-$275 right now.

However; if it were me, and I paid $69 @ say 7 years ago, I feel $100-$125 would be a reasonably fair price in 2013 dollars...but that's just me.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Oh , they have been - how do you say - "Bubba-ed" erm, modified. To sell them well you will need to check the numbers and marks to determine what you have. I'd also put them through the paces at the range. The SKS did not take particularly well to magazine modifications. IF they are reliable shooters there will be a market for them (especially now) for people looking for an AK type weapon and are not finding them. Pricing?! I'd look at the gun auctions for SOLD results not asking prices.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
If you're worried about your conscience put that in the buyers hand. List them for trade, be open or at least guarded on what you'll accept and let the offers roll in. You may me amazed.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

Reactions: VILLAGE and jonrjen

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
"Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk"
You hired Obama's inner circle? Oh wait, no that was nutless monkeys. Carry on.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
"Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk"
You hired Obama's inner circle? Oh wait, no that was nutless monkeys. Carry on.
They still haven't come up with the entire works of Shakespeare. I thought they would have by now.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

Reactions: lonestarbandit

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
One of the shops here had a pair of Chinese SKS rifles, in mediocre condition. They listed them for $250.00 each. Then the surge hit. They now have ONE SKS left, at $600.00. Somebody bought one at that price!!

I told him that I had a Chinese "Police" variant, with an OEM 20 round, non-detachable magazine, in much better shape. He told me that he would ask $1000 for it! I paid $75.00, IIRC, in the late 1980's for it. I was also buying 110 round cases of stripper-clip equipped 7.62x39 for $75.00 per 1100 round case. I didn't have the heart to ask what an SKS-D was worth in the market. :)

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, those went quick. I didn't hyper gouge, the man made a offer for the pair and I said OK. Strange thing was I didn't even list them. He saw them in a photo of a shotgun I listed on an off road forum and inquired as to if I was interested it selling them. I told him everything has a price, And I had no emotional attachments to either of them.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Well, those went quick. I didn't hyper gouge, the man made a offer for the pair and I said OK. Strange thing was I didn't even list them. He saw them in a photo of a shotgun I listed on an off road forum and inquired as to if I was interested it selling them. I told him everything has a price, And I had no emotional attachments to either of them.
Well!!!???? What did you get?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
There you go. Whatcha thinking about buying? 454 or 45-70 or 357 magnum lever gun? Oh wait, that's what I want. Dang.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I just read my last post and not sure I made it clear on the price...that is $400 each so $800 total. He is picking them up Friday. I haven't told him yet, but I am giving him some ammo to go with it.

I ordered a 327 Rossi 92 stainless lever action Sunday with a 16" barrel. I am still giving some thought to picking up one of the Taurus 445UL that my FFL has in stock. My son stopped by this evening to show me his new 4" Taurus 44Mag Titanium revolver. That is one super light weight 44Mag, I was surprised that it is not ported, but I guess the first pull of the trigger will tell him if it needed to be.

Maybe I'll take some of the extra new found cash and take my wife out for a good BBQ meal down Waco way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are people in Texas crazy now? should I drive down to Texas to sell my sks? Seriously,here in Missouri I paid $90 for my rifle ,put a $50 composite stock on it and could maybe get $160 for it today. Seriously, How do I sell my rifle for $400?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts