Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.......I actually reloaded these rounds!

amazing how $80 worth of components is worth almost $350 in retail pricing..that is, if you can even find loaded 380ACP ammo...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice, I have a bunch of .380 loaded up with the Hornady XTP bullet. Nothing like affordable SD ammo.

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts
OOOHHHH...I AM envious! I am looking to get a die set for .380, but will have to get in line I'm afraid.

Did you load those with a three die set or did you buy the Factory Crimp die?

Reactions: CarbonMatrix2010

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Two weeks ago, I managed to snag 3 boxes of Remington UMC 100 count JHP in .380 for $32.97 a box, but those are all I've seen at Walmart this year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOHHHH...I AM envious! I am looking to get a die set for .380, but will have to get in line I'm afraid.

Did you load those with a three die set or did you buy the Factory Crimp die?

25 year old Dillon Square Deal B Progressive Press

This old girl has over 20,000+ reloaded rounds on her...

You name it..and she has loaded it....except 40 S&W

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts
I got inspired by your post and pulled the trigger on 1000 once fired .380 brass from the Brassman. Now I need the dies and bullets and I am rocking!!

Is your Dillon a three die setup? I am trying to figure out if the fourth die is necessary. I use the fourth die on my .45 ACP, but if I can get a smooth taper crimp off of the bullet seating die I could forego the expense and operation of the extra die.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
If it helps any I use the FCD to do a firm taper crimp. I would hate to get bullet set back as the nose hits the feed ramp. Especially on the .380 with such a limited case capacity to start with. I can see pressure spiking real fast.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got inspired by your post and pulled the trigger on 1000 once fired .380 brass from the Brassman. Now I need the dies and bullets and I am rocking!!

Is your Dillon a three die setup? I am trying to figure out if the fourth die is necessary. I use the fourth die on my .45 ACP, but if I can get a smooth taper crimp off of the bullet seating die I could forego the expense and operation of the extra die.

HAHA.....glad that I could inspire you!

I will be getting my new PT738 in 10 days......my first 380ACP.....I started looking and then pricing ammo...I was like...WTH

I have loaded and shot 9mm, 38/357MAG, 45LC, 45ACP, 44MAG....I also have RCBS bullet molds for all of these calibers.

Initially, I was going to try the 115 gr. 9mm RCBS Mold, but then a little research steered me away from that 115 gr. in the 380ACP

still looking for a 105 gr. mold for the 380ACP

4 die, note: The Dillon Square Deal B dies are non-standard 7/8-14.

Deprime/Full length resize

Bell/Powder Charge

Bullet Seater

Taper Crimp

btw...thanks for the link to Brassman's = always good to find new sources!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it helps any i use the fcd to do a firm taper crimp. I would hate to get bullet set back as the nose hits the feed ramp. Especially on the .380 with such a limited case capacity to start with. I can see pressure spiking real fast.
indeed!

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts
If it helps any I use the FCD to do a firm taper crimp. I would hate to get bullet set back as the nose hits the feed ramp. Especially on the .380 with such a limited case capacity to start with. I can see pressure spiking real fast.
Excellent point, especially considering the steep angle of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Nice, I have a bunch of .380 loaded up with the Hornady XTP bullet. Nothing like affordable SD ammo.
Yep, i have bit of that as well!
I really have gone to the 90 grain speer gold dot and the 80 grain COP projectile for all my 380's now.
still use the XTP in the 10MM and the 45 acp a lot, but also use the gold dot in the 45 acp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That is what I really enjoy about this forum. Good honest guys giving sound advice!

I ordered a Lee FCD for my 380ACP. The Dillon 9mm Taper Crimp was not applying a satisfactory taper crimp to the 380ACP [too short!].

AND I will not wait 4 - 5 months on Dillon!!

Thank you guys...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts