Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are kinda heavy and expensive, but at least they've introduced the "roughneck" for under 300 bucks, $270 according to their site, and I might get it for closer to 200 if I could find it at a big box store.

Now, I'm totally not interested in it for everyday carry, but I thought the .410 short barreled model would be lighter and more compact than carrying my TC Contender for snakes. Of course, I usually carry the Contender for squirrels and other small game which this Bond Arms would be incapable of. I don't know that this thing would even be that useful for me, wouldn't carry a 2 shot gun in lieu of even my .38 revolver for self defense, but at least they got the price reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I guess I'd have to get the $299 "Rowdy" to get the .410 barrels.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
They make snake shot in a 9mm if you have one

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They make snake shot in a 9mm if you have one
know

Oh, I know. Heck, I've loaded my own in .357 brass for one of my 5 .357s or .38 for one of my 4 .38s. I wouldn't use the 9mm snake loads except maybe in my 9mm/.357 Ruger Blackhawk. Not enough umph to cycle the action of one of my semis.

I'm just trying to speculate a reason to buy something else. :rofl: I think I'll save my money, though. I have shot many, many snakes with a bullet, after all, and the .22 mag snake loads I carry in my Heritage and the first two chambers of my NAA Black Widow work well, too.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Still too big a gun for only 2 shots. I have a .32acp Davis derringer that I use for a 'can't get away with toting anything else' gun but it's a last ditch, beats ony a harsh word sort of thing (or, in the case of multiple assailants, use it to get a real gun off of one).

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Still too big a gun for only 2 shots. I have a .32acp Davis derringer that I use for a 'can't get away with toting anything else' gun but it's a last ditch, beats ony a harsh word sort of thing (or, in the case of multiple assailants, use it to get a real gun off of one).
Grandpa Tony used to call that kind of gun a 'nose gun'.

As in, when you have to use it you put the muzzle up against somebody's nose.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ain't puttin' no gun's muzzle against a cottonmouth's nose. :eek:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Grandpa Tony used to call that kind of gun a 'nose gun'.

As in, when you have to use it you put the muzzle up against somebody's nose.
Grandpa Tony was a wise man. Anything beyond powder burn distance is pretty much long range.

Personally, I'm hoping for the chance for a transverse chest shot about heart/lung high with me sticking it sideways between 2 ribs. A matched pair of 60gr Silvertips should get a mite of attention if applied in such a manner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah. I think those derringers look really cool and Bond Arms makes good ones, not to mention they are within driving distance of me. But I just keep coming back to two main issues. First it's just two shots. Second, your hand and wrist get all of the recoil. I always seem to talk myself out of one. Oh well, I can use that money for ammo for the ones I didn't talk myself out of.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I ain't puttin' no gun's muzzle against a cottonmouth's nose. :eek:
It's about a 90%+ likelihood I wouldn't be using a gun against a snake anyway.

·
22,292 Posts
Interesting idea, given my current interest in snake guns. But the first .410 example I see has about a one finger grip. Now sure how I feel about that!

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
36,291 Posts
Interesting idea, given my current interest in snake guns. But the first .410 example I see has about a one finger grip. Now sure how I feel about that!
MY interest in Snake guns now and in the past has only revolved around a Python or Diamondback, at of course 1980 pricing.
I passed up a fairly nice Diamond back in with a 6 inch barrel a few years back and still wonder what I was thinking when I didn't get it.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's about a 90%+ likelihood I wouldn't be using a gun against a snake anyway.
Well, my garden hoe don't fit in a pocket any better than a Judge. :rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts