Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys wanted me to post and say how my Taurus shot. Well I finally went today and the verdict is in - I Love It! lol. Recoil is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. It was nothing to me and my girlfriend had minor complaints. I must admit though I was putting .38 special rounds through it instead of .357s. I have one question though. After cleaning it, I noticed a little blackening around the outside of the cylinder face that hoppes and a nylon brush woudn't remove. My question is would a Brass Brush be safe to use on my Titanium Revolver? The specs are:

4 inch
.357 magnum / Ported
Model M616
6 Shots
Titanium

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Did you try a silicone rag? I've never seen much that one of those won't clean off.

·
Registered
959 Posts
moffett018,... You have a nice Gun there ~ now to the Care & Feeding of that New Baby...<:))

1) Measure the forcing cone to cylinder Gap with a feeler gage~Taurus is .004 to .008 ~Don't make it bigger...
2) Nylon Brush only~Discoloration is normal... It lets People know you use it and not just play with it...
3) Read Below to catch up on what you should have already read Below in your Taurus Manual...
4) Shooting lead bullets out that ported Barrel leads them up~its a Bitch to clean out... Shoot Copper Jackets and be happy...

Regular cleaning and use of gun oil is recommended, but no abrasives should be used on the cylinder's chambers or face. Abrasives will ruin the titanium's protective surface layer and reduce cylinder life due to excessive erosion when firing. It will also void the warranty.

You will find this in the Manual~ Better Read this...!!!
http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_revolver.pdf

2) Normal care and cleaning procedures can be used on Titanium revolvers
but under no circumstances should you use any abrasive material to
clean the front face of the cylinder, or any other part of the revolver, as
the use of such an abrasive material can remove the finish on the
cylinder, which is a protective layer, and this can greatly reduce the
service life of the cylinder and the revolver.
NOTICE:
The Taurus .357 Magnum Total Titanium Revolvers (Models 617 and 627)
have been extensively tested with various .357 Magnum cartridges. We have
determined that .357 Magnum cartridges which utilize bullet weights of at
least 125 grains are perfectly suitable to be fired in your revolver.
NOTICE:
.357 Magnum cartridges with bullet weights of less than 125 grains
have resulted in cylinder face erosion and should not be utilized in your
Total Titanium revolver.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do not use metal brushes on Ti guns. They will scratch the finish and lead to premature wear. Discoloration is normal and is a badge of honor on a revolver.

·
Registered
878 Posts
klean bore lead away cloth wipes those rings right away.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Right on, JKwas - that's what I meant by a silicon cloth. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts