Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I too have the Taurus 99 with the lower mag release & it predates the Taurususa.com models as the serial no. doesn't show up in any of the tables on their current website.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That is interesting. I think those predate USA versions of these guns.
I think so too. Mine has stamped on one side of the slide "Int. Dist. Inc. Miami Fla."

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
A lot of older PT92's and PT99's have been sold off as surplus from armories all over the world, and have been imported into the USA by various Surplus Importers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went and looked at my PT-99

There is no markings for it being recently imported

And it has INT.DIST.INC MIAMI FLA markings

Serial number is B336XX

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yep! Mine has a similar serial no.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I remember, Beretta was making their model 92 for the Brazilian military. When the contract expired in 1981, Taurus bought all the machine tools and continued to produce the PT92. The same gun as the Model 92 except with Taurus roll marks. A couple of years later, Taurus changed the location of the mag release. I purchased a new PT92 in 1987. It had the mag release behind the trigger and a frame safety instead of the safety mounted on the slide.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Taurus was sold a few years after they bought Beretta Brazil operations. Thats when changes started.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Taurus was sold a few years after they bought Beretta Brazil operations. Thats when changes started.
For the better or for the worse?

·
Super Moderator
38,229 Posts
For the better or for the worse?
I wouldn't buy a pistol with the safety on the slide . Well, I do have a cz 83 which is pretty high.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I wouldn't buy a pistol with the safety on the slide . Well, I do have a cz 83 which is pretty high.
Same here but I watched someone's video about why Beretta had it that way & IIRC it was done for a reason. Either a requirement by the U.S. military or some other functional reason. Bottom line is that they didn't do it willy-nilly.

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Same here but I watched someone's video about why Beretta had it that way & IIRC it was done for a reason. Either a requirement by the U.S. military or some other functional reason. Bottom line is that they didn't do it willy-nilly.
You can probably lay the blame for the Slide Mounted Safety on Walther, as the Walther P38, was still somewhat popular way back then. Beretta, S&W, Tanfoglio, and a few others copied the P38's Slide Mounted Safety Mechanism and it's still in use today. The thing is, Beretta should have thought a bit more outside the box and should have done what Taurus did for a decocker/safety.

WWII AC44 Walther P38 and Mauser S/42 Luger P08

As I have long thumbs, Slide Mounted Safeties never bothered me and I have several handguns so equipped, which include three Walther P38's.
One P38 from WWII and two post-war early 1960's production P38's. I still use one post-war P38 as a "Range Beater" and it still delivers well to the Target.
I like to think of them as part of my collection of useful antiques.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have to guess that slide mounted safety is a lot safer than lowering a hammer down on a live round which is what I'd have to do with my 80s era PT92 if I didn't want to carry cocked and locked.
I have modified commercial newer Taurus (non Taurus) mags to work in my older PT92 by simply cutting the notch where it needs to be for the heel mounted catch to work. They have all functioned fine for me. I might add I have not had any problems with after market magazines in my Taurus to date. Probably mostly USA brand but there were probably several. Another thing I always liked about that pistols as I heard lots of horror stories back in the bad old Clinton crime/limited magazine capacity days about the aftermarket mags which the sellers sometimes TRIED to scalp but never could get buyers to bite on.
Doubt that more recent Beretta magazines are notched for heal release either. Beretta tweaked the safety to satisfy US and some other foreign customers as I understand it. Brazil was OK with the frame mounted safety due to their long familiarity with the 1911 style handguns and cocked and locked. (More likely they carried loaded autos with empty chamber but I don't know that for sure.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have one of the early ones, too. The original mag that came with it doesn't have any cutouts for the later behind-trigger mag release.
I really like the later variants with ambi hammer-drop safeties on the frame.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Interesting, I never knew that the 99 was made with the European style release.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts