Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out shooting yesterday, and I finished up with my AR by firing maybe fifteen rounds pretty quick - which got the barrel pretty hot. Not as hot as they can get - but pretty warm. I always take my weapons to the range in gun cases, and the AR lives in a hard case that's foam lined. I didn't want to stick it in the case that way and take a chance on it melting the foam, so instead I wrapped it up in a little throw rug that's in my trunk. With pistols I don't like putting carboned up steel in an otherwise clean gun rug. so I always wrap them in a rag first and then put them in the case. How do you do it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I let the rifles cool and wipe off the pistols then put them in an old sock! Old socks for lots of stuff. Keeps the grease ,oil,soot you name it off and also from getting scratched if one rubs on another gun or hard spot somewhere! Old sock over rifle end keeps soot etc. Off the case also, I most of the time run a cleaner soaked patch through the barrel when it's warm also to start loosening up the crud so it cleans easier when you get home!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I like to run a bore snake through them while still warm as it does a much better job that way. Then wipe them down, coat of oil on all blued guns and into the gun rug or case. If it's still warm I let it cool.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I usually field strip and clean my handguns after shooting the long guns. Once i've finished with those, the long guns are usually cool enough to handle, give a quick cleaning of the barrel and receiver, and then pack them away for their at home detailed cleaning. Unless i'm shooting my Mosin-Nagant that is, takes a while for them to cool down with all that old wood insulating it forever and a day.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I was out shooting yesterday, and I finished up with my AR by firing maybe fifteen rounds pretty quick - which got the barrel pretty hot. Not as hot as they can get - but pretty warm. I always take my weapons to the range in gun cases, and the AR lives in a hard case that's foam lined. I didn't want to stick it in the case that way and take a chance on it melting the foam, so instead I wrapped it up in a little throw rug that's in my trunk. With pistols I don't like putting carboned up steel in an otherwise clean gun rug. so I always wrap them in a rag first and then put them in the case. How do you do it?
By the time I'm done collecting my brass my kids are cooled off so no worries on that part.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I take the opportunity to run a boresnake through my firearms while the barrel is still toasty - they do an amazing job of getting the nastier crud out before it's had time to 'set' and make the 'real' cleaning back home much easier. By the time you've passed it through 3-4 times, you're good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts