Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a new 605 on Friday, the one with the matte black finish. Got a great deal on a band-new one from the local pawn-shop, $250 with a free box of Rock River Arms .357 hollow-points thrown in to sweeten the deal. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Taurus product for years. Now that they have stepped up their quality control game I felt less inhibited. I took the .357 ammo and a box of brass-cased PPU hollow points I had at home (I have 2 other .38's) and headed to the public range in the National Forest. I only ended up shooting the .38 Specials because the friendly guy next to me on the line shooting the .22 rifle had no hearing protection. Thou shalt not destroy thy neighbor's ear drums. I placed my target at belly-gun range of about 20 feet or so and shot pretty well. I still have to get used to the trigger, but I was quite satisfied. Nice lock-up. Not too much play in the cylinder. Easy to stage. I have no criticisms of the piece. If it continues to perform well, this is going to be my cold-weather carry gun. I am carrying it now with Winchester Train and Defend jacketed hollow points, but I will look for some plus P hollow points when I get a chance.

·
8,656 Posts
I love both of mine. One I did a trigger job on and the other is stock. Both - when using 357 are tack drivers. 38 more like 3-4 inch groups.

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts
Just bought a new 605 on Friday, the one with the matte black finish. Got a great deal on a band-new one from the local pawn-shop, $250 with a free box of Rock River Arms .357 hollow-points thrown in to sweeten the deal. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Taurus product for years. Now that they have stepped up their quality control game I felt less inhibited. I took the .357 ammo and a box of brass-cased PPU hollow points I had at home (I have 2 other .38's) and headed to the public range in the National Forest. I only ended up shooting the .38 Specials because the friendly guy next to me on the line shooting the .22 rifle had no hearing protection. Thou shalt not destroy thy neighbor's ear drums. I placed my target at belly-gun range of about 20 feet or so and shot pretty well. I still have to get used to the trigger, but I was quite satisfied. Nice lock-up. Not too much play in the cylinder. Easy to stage. I have no criticisms of the piece. If it continues to perform well, this is going to be my cold-weather carry gun. I am carrying it now with Winchester Train and Defend jacketed hollow points, but I will look for some plus P hollow points when I get a chance.
I'm guessing you're looking to carry with .38 +P as there is no such thing as .357 +P. :D .38+P has proven quite effective.

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
I'm really liking mine and it rides in my winter coat pocket in a pocket holster. Stoked with 125 grain 38 Special +P which are actually too bright for SD work. I loaded mine with snap caps when new and worked the trigger a few hundred times. Really liking the pull now.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Congratulations on your new 605. Let me give you some free advice on things I found.

- The best 38 Special +p ammunition IMHO is Remington Green and White box 38 Special +p 125 grain JHP (L38S2). Just seems to work great for me. I have also found many of the newer JHP rounds do not expand at 38 Special and +p velocities, but old school rounds like this and Federal 38E with the old style JHP work great.

- Try either the Remington Golden Saber (GS357MAB) or the Hornady American Gunner (90504) 125 grain JHP in 357 Magnum for SD work. These rounds are more "38 Special +p+/ 357 medium strength, and are great carry rounds. I use either for personal carry with my 605. I am not found of rounds like the Federal C357B or other "hot loads" in a 357 Magnum that isn't a bigger frame, like the Taurus 65/66, Ruger GP100, etc. The "hot loads" kick like a mule, throw fireballs out the muzzle, and make getting a follow up shot off really difficult. However, I do carry that round in my GP100s when I carry one of them.

Good luck and enjoy your 605. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the self-defense ammo suggestions folks! Might be useful, especially since my nightstand gun is one of those snubby Model 10's that S&W used to make.

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts
Old school M10s are awesome! Mine's a 4" HB I inherited from my grandfather.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum, 1994 Custom Shop and a new model Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum.

They’re well made. I actually have 5 Taurus revolvers and tomorrow I will have 6. I have 6 S&W and 5 Ruger revolvers.

Congratulations on your new addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pictures of all of 'em, please. Eye candy is a must.

My Taurus 992 Tracker 22 WMR/Magnum,22 LR is ugly because I dremel polished it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

·
Registered
152 Posts

My Taurus 992 Tracker 22 WMR/Magnum,22 LR is ugly because I dremel polished it.

Sweet collection you have there! In the next to the last picture from the bottom you have 3 revolvers. Is the one on the left a S&W 627 8 round .357? If so, I've thought about adding it to my stash of revolvers. With that ultra short barrel, how does the hand hold up before crying "Uncle" with full load .357's?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sweet collection you have there! In the next to the last picture from the bottom you have 3 revolvers. Is the one on the left a S&W 627 8 round .357? If so, I've thought about adding it to my stash of revolvers. With that ultra short barrel, how does the hand hold up before crying "Uncle" with full load .357's?
You are correct. It is a S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum.

I’m not recoil sensitive since I also carry a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot. I can shoot 250 rounds of 125 gr 357 Magnum or even 158 gr of 357 Magnum out of it.

The S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum is a pussycat. It has a smooth trigger and the weight makes it even more enjoyable to shoot. My friend says his hand was hurting but I think it’s all in how to grip a revolver.

But bear in mind to whom you’re speaking. I enjoy this one, too, and I don’t mind the recoil on it, either.
the 500 S&W. I have started using wraps which make the grip bigger, help with recoil and reduce slipping with sweaty hands.

I have acquired 4 Taurus, 2 S&W since this group pic:

But to get back to Taurus, I just acquired a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm and I just love it. The Moonclips are easier to load by hand, and they’re easier to remove. But I also own a couple of moonclip tools which help when it’s really cold outside. It keeps the user from bending the clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Congratulations on your new 605.

I got my mother one for her birthday a couple years ago and it has been 100% reliable for her. I shot it once with full power 125gr .357 XTP loads and it definitely packs a serious punch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got an older 605, that has the beautiful deep blue.
It has been one of my pocket carries since I got my license 10 years ago. I keep it loaded with full house Remington 125 grain JSP's.
Even with the rubber grips they do sting the hand, but if I have to shoot someone I want everything I can get.

One of my other pocket carries is a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats on the new matte 605. I'm really enjoying mine too - it was a Taurus replacement from the Rossi recall of the 461.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are correct. It is a S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum.

I’m not recoil sensitive since I also carry a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot. I can shoot 250 rounds of 125 gr 357 Magnum or even 158 gr of 357 Magnum out of it.

The S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum is a pussycat. It has a smooth trigger and the weight makes it even more enjoyable to shoot. My friend says his hand was hurting but I think it’s all in how to grip a revolver.

I don't know where my brain was when I asked you about the recoil on the 627 because it's close to the same weight and size as my S&W 686 Plus 7 shot...around 37-38 ounces and it's a pussycat to shoot with .357. Actually I do know where my brain was on a S&W that ended in '27. The model 327 .357 snubbie that weighs 22 oz. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...m327+8rd+357mag/38sp++p+2"+performance+center.
Seeing one thing and thinking another.

It weighs in at about the same amount as the Taurus 605 and I don't find it tough to shoot or very punishing like some others. But, the weight distribution and design of the 327 is different from the 605. I do find the 327 appealing in design also.

But bear in mind to whom you’re speaking. I enjoy this one, too, and I don’t mind the recoil on it, either.
the 500 S&W. I have started using wraps which make the grip bigger, help with recoil and reduce slipping with sweaty hands.

Herein lies your secret to shooting .357 rounds as if they were .22lr. You are an ANIMAL! ;D Damn, man!! I'm not in your league of being able to knock out 250 rounds of .357 in a session but I can handle a good bit more than most others who post in the forums. The one .357 revolver that beats me up in no time flat is my Ruger LCR .357. That sucker just flat out hurts my hand on the first shot and goes downhill real fast after that.

I have acquired 4 Taurus, 2 S&W since this group pic:

But to get back to Taurus, I just acquired a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm and I just love it. The Moonclips are easier to load by hand, and they’re easier to remove. But I also own a couple of moonclip tools which help when it’s really cold outside. It keeps the user from bending the clips.
You've given me motivation to pick up my pace in 2020 for more revolvers. That's a great collection you have. I'm about 9 behind and see some that would fit in nicely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the new model 605 revolvers still have the Taurus security system locks on them (behind the hammer on the back strap)?

I ask this because I know Taurus makes the new 856 revolvers without the locks. I called Taurus a few months back and the lady I spoke with in customer service told me that Taurus is going to remove the locks from their newer guns. I don't know if that means all newly produced revolvers, or just new model ones like the 856. Either way, I just would like to know if the new 605 revolvers still come with the lock system in them. Thanks for any info you can share.

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
Do the new model 605 revolvers still have the Taurus security system locks on them (behind the hammer on the back strap)?

I ask this because I know Taurus makes the new 856 revolvers without the locks. I called Taurus a few months back and the lady I spoke with in customer service told me that Taurus is going to remove the locks from their newer guns. I don't know if that means all newly produced revolvers, or just new model ones like the 856. Either way, I just would like to know if the new 605 revolvers still come with the lock system in them. Thanks for any info you can share.
The one I received in exchange for my Rossi 462-2 recall a few months ago does have the TSS and it's on the rear of the hammer. I had to look to be sure because I've never used it. It doesn't bother me at all and I suppose one could remove it if motivated. Here's mine with the Thai wood stocks.

605 Wood grips.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts