Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote a post about it jamming my slide, and am just curious if anyone uses it and why?

I personally do not.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I check the functionality of it when I get it, then unlock it and toss the key into the pile with all the others. In other words, nope

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have a few somewhere that came with the guns. Haven't found a use for them. Sales gimmick, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I had a Taurus 357 long time ago, and used the lock religiously. Stripped the keys round. Now my kids are gone, and don't use the locks anymore...

·
32,481 Posts
It is physically impossible for the lock to go on or off with gun being shot . There were patent drawings to prove this. Unfortunately the record of those was lost when we went to the new format. I know because I was the one who found them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nope- never.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
It is physically impossible for the lock to go on or off with gun being shot . There were patent drawings to prove this. Unfortunately the record of those was lost when we went to the new format. I know because I was the one who found them.
Is this the drawings you are referring to?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been thinking about building a shadow box and putting them on display down at the senior center, seeing as how AARP is anti-gun.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I do not use them.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Have never been a fan of locks and " Extra" safety features, i.e. mag safety that prevents a gun from firing without mag in gun. I spent a lifetime fixing mechanical things. Also spent a lot of time doing factory rep stuff. Trying to get things to work that the designers never got the bugs out of. Keep It Simple Stupid, is a phrase that has a lot of truth. The best designs are the ones that use the fewest parts possible. Even then things wear out and break. My favorite old guns are single shots and single and double action revolvers. These old guns require the user to have a couple of brain cells that function and user responsibility. That would be a novel concept in this politically correct world. An engineer friend often said making things fool proof was not the challenge. Making things " Damn Fool" proof is. That is where a lot of the designs we deal with comes from.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Nope. I have a couple of better "safety devices" - a brain and a gun safe.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nope. A lock on the trigger is worse than useless.

Criminals and kids can bypass locks faster than we can log into this site. I am of the mind to consider that the only way to store a weapon securely is on your person or control, or disassembled with parts separated in different locations.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I got one to work once. Never tried it again.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had a .44 Taurus long barrel revolver that had a lock integeral to the gun, with a little black plastic key with what looked like an allen key moulded in.

Never used it as I could see me driving down to the range for an evening's shooting only to find I'd forgotten the *[email protected]& key!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
No! Like others on here I check it out when I first get a gun, then make sure it is UNLOCKED and put the key away. Now let me see if I can remember where I put them dam* things! :D

The only lock I need is either a gun safe or the one between my ears!

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I try it once and put the key in the safe . I used to carry the key but the key ring they put it on is cheap and after a few weeks it was gone so I new I would never use it. If I new that the key could disappear at any moment. Then why lock the gun! I use safes and portable safes for car use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts